Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone think the world is becoming to greedy?

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Does anyone think life is far to serious and competetive these days. Im only 31 but I have already evaluated my life after my father died last year of a heart attack due to diabetes and smoking, some people dont for example when it comes to money and power.

Correct me if I am wrong but I often wonder why so many people are judged by the car they drive and how big there house is, what there mobile phone looks like and how much gold they have hanging off there fingers and neck.

How many times have I heard people say lucky bastard as some 40 year old drives past in his Lotus with his blond bit next to him, but is having money really the solution to life? No its not.

if you started making lots of money tommorow your whole life would change. You would be working flat out 14 hours a day, you would be getting extremely stressed, which then leads to further complications ie high blood pressure, heart related problems and so many other illnesses.

You just have to take a look at my boss. Why he does it is because

1) he wants world domination because he is unsatisfied with life

2) he is greedy, and wants lots and lots of money

trouble is he will keep chasing this money for the rest of his life and in the meantime his kids are growing up fast and he is not enjoying the time with them all because of money and power.

It really is bullshit with a capital B. Secondly he is already suffering from high blood pressure and heart problems so whats the point.

Does anyone else think this way?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I think there has always been people like this but you have just recognised it.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Sounds like an early mid-life crisis to me. Dr. MBH's remedy is to smoke a peace pipe and chill the f*** out.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The world is a competitive place and whilst the sentiment is easy to agree with, I personally don't think I can afford to relax too much into the "what's it all about?" ethic. To be fair, I'm 33 and I've got kids, and the main thing that drives me is to ensure that we will always have options on how best to bring them up. And at the end of the day, money is options. If my kids are failing at school, I want the ability to put them into a better school, whatever the cost (much as I hope I won't need to!). If my kids need an operation, I want them to be seen quickly. If I lose my job, I want to be secure in the knowledge that we're not going to lose the house inside 6 months - and that means saving money.

On the other hand, my father in law keeled over at 53 - having worked himself into an early grave. I'm very conscious of that happening too. So while I'm working all hours in the next couple of months, I'll try not to let it get out of hand.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
adrian29uk said:
Does anyone else think this way?

Materialism is for suckers. I look at people who have more than I do, and none of them seem to be satisfied or having as good a time as I am.

I don't have a car - I don't want one, they're more trouble than they're worth.
I don't have a mobile phone - I don't want one: why would I want to be "available" the whole time?
I have a house, but no bigger than Mrs T and I need, and have no ambition to move up the property ladder.
I have enough money to live and do what I want (which is fortunate I know), but no real urge to become fabulously wealthy.

Does all that make me strange? Probably, in many people's eyes. But I am happier and less stressed than anyone else I know - so I know how I'd rather be.

Like MBH says, just chill out. If you feel you don't want to live like these people, just ignore them. Why let it bother you?

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Dr. MBH's remedy is to smoke a peace pipe,

I used to do this every evening for about 3 years, in the end it made me paranoid and starts to ruin your health.

Simster I am not saying that we should turn in to hippies or anything like that but when will people be happy financially? will people find a limit to stop and say OK I dont need anything else in life, Im happy.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I used to be a manager for a high street restuarant earning very good money. However it meant that I had to work weekends, light nights and early mornings. On top of that even when I was not at work I had to be on call should one of the junior managers have a problem that they couldn't handle.

I woke up one day and decided that I was missing my children growing up, and though when I did go out I was able to have a really good time, I missed out on what friends were doing.

So I left my job and now earn only about 12k a year less then I did. However I have a far better life in the sense that I see my kids grow up and can spend time with friends and family when I want.

Money is good, and yes it helps to make life's options eaiser, but to me I would rather have no money and be happy, then have loads of money and miss out on some of the things in life that money cannot buy.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I'm always amazed by people who buy new cars, something I could never afford to do, and £10k+ on a car seems such a waste. I'm in my 30s and with one exception all of my cars have cost under £1k, my latest costing £250.

In terms of big money I think a lot of people can't help themselves - you get your first million, then you want your second million etc. etc. How many times do you hear of these people dying with all the money unspent in the bank or of them being miserly with the money as they can't bear to spend it?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yeah. Not helped by PREMIER LEAGUE overpaid alice band wearing c unts and their bling lifestyle.

People have also lost the meaning of the word respect for others.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I think essentially the world has always been too greedy. It's human nature to want for more, particularly in our Western culture.

We're past the point of no return now too, so it will only get worse sadly.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Join a monastery and you are instantly freed from all capitalist trappings and money worries. Other bonuses include all the home grown fruit and veg you can eat, plentiful supplies of cider/mead etc. and provided you can keep your gob shut and are capable of fighting off the sexual advances of the others it's a result all round. Monkmongous mate!
:clap2:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Cheeky Monkey said:
Join a monastery and you are instantly freed from all capitalist trappings and money worries. Other bonuses include all the home grown fruit and veg you can eat, plentiful supplies of cider/mead etc. and provided you can keep your gob shut and are capable of fighting off the sexual advances of the others it's a result all round. Monkmongous mate!
:clap2:

Become a monk in Belgium and get free beer.

:clap2: :drink: :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here