Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone remember the last time we played liverpool

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
I remember it well. The away leg was my first ever away match. What a fantastic game. Everyone raving about all of the Liverpool players and who shone through and took care of John Barnes with ease but "Johny Crumplin football genius". :smile: Classic. OK we finally lost at home but we really put on a show. Lets hope the effort and entertainment is as good this time but the result is in our favour.

Memories .... Oh to be 15 again!:blush:

darkcore1977

May 18, 2009
haywards heath
Snap ..... was my first away game and loved every minute of the experience went up on a Brighton special train , this was when i got the away day buzz. Crumplin was class that day and we even song gosbts at proper slower speed. Oh yeah i was 15 too...

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Ian Rush notching a couple early in the second half at The Kop end, then John Byrne pulling one back down our end, and Mike Small notching the equaliser!(big ?) Pandemonium ensued! Luvit!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I have a photo somewhere I took of the penalty at their place, I remember in the replay feeling that we scored to early

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I've still got the replay highlights on video - when Johnny Byrne puts us in the lead Barry Davies gushes " A golden moment at the Goldstone Ground". Corny, but music to the ears.

Pixelated Penguin

Jul 5, 2011
I have the entire live game on video from 1984 when the Albion beat Liverpool 2-0(Ryan, Conner) which i recorded while at the match. Needs going on dvd before it perishes, lets hope for a repeat score at the Amex in a fortnights time

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The second Rush goal at Anfield was totally offside, then so was the Mike Small opener in the replay.

When Byrne scored to put the Albion 2-1 up in the replay in ET, I thought we'd reallty beaten them, but then Kenny puts Jan Molby on and His spraying of the ball around put us under so much pressure in the last 10 mins of ET and Rush got the equaliser (smashed in top corner in front of the North) and then I think he got the winner too (correct me if I'm wrong).
If we'd have one that we'd have been on TV (pre Skysports coverage) against Everton, as it turned out, that game was the famous 4-4 and afterwards..... Kenny quit??!!

Great Days.

Last edited:

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
Great away day for my friends and me (teenagers at the time, most of them generally supported a big prem team but on this day were all firmly seagulls). Followed by night in Liverpool and plenty of teenage stories around girls drink etc. Proper "stand by me" adventure. Our music was definitely "move any mountain" and I think "all together now" to name a couple.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The second Rush goal at Anfield was totally offside, then so was the Mike Small opener in the replay.

When Byrne scored to put the Albion 2-1 up in the replay in ET, I thought we'd reallty beaten them, but then Kenny puts Jan Molby on and His spraying of the ball around put us under so much pressure in the last 10 mins of ET and Rush got the equaliser (smashed in top corner in front of the North) and then I think he got the winner too (correct me if I'm wrong).
If we'd have one that we'd have been on TV (pre Skysports coverage) against Everton, as it turned out, that game was the famous 4-4 and afterwards..... Kenny quit??!!

Great Days.

Anfield match was one of the most enjoyable ever without a doubt. You just didn't come back from 2 down against Liverpool. Your replay summary sounds about right but I'm pretty sure we also had a goal disallowed for a totally non-existent foul (from a corner?). Remember being infuriated that they made nothing of it in the TV chat... Just a shrug as if 'oh well, it's only Brighton'. There can't be many clubs that had a better record than us against Liverpool during the time in which they were the best around.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
My lad was mascot at the 2-2 draw - a great day for many reasons, not least of all Football Genius has Barnes in his pocket for 90 minutes.
The last game was Jimmy Case's testimonial and I managed to get a photo of Le Tiss in a Brighton Shirt. Happy Days.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Not very good quality but these were from the away leg of the cup match

IMG.jpg

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
Jeez I think that might be me down there in the front row. Maybe I dont want to be 15 again looking at that hair! lol.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Anfield match was one of the most enjoyable ever without a doubt. You just didn't come back from 2 down against Liverpool. Your replay summary sounds about right but I'm pretty sure we also had a goal disallowed for a totally non-existent foul (from a corner?). Remember being infuriated that they made nothing of it in the TV chat... Just a shrug as if 'oh well, it's only Brighton'. There can't be many clubs that had a better record than us against Liverpool during the time in which they were the best around.

The disallowed goal from a corner was in the replay wasn't it?
Mike Small headed in, while being punched by Grobbelar and the ref gave a free-kick to them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here