Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

does anyone own 2 cars? any car insurance kids out there?

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
wonder if anyone can help or has any experience in this . nsc is usually the first port of call for my info . ive just bought a second car ... its older and slower than my existing (first) car so i thought it would be cheaper . apparently not. ive got maximum no claims on my first car (impreza) so i rang my insurance company to get a quote for the second car (old ford galaxy) told them i had full no claims bonus and they told me you cant have any no claims bonus on a second car and have to start from scratch. is this right ? is there a way round it ? i spoke to the mrs about it and she did her insurance on line so put maximum no claims on her second car . so it would seem she is breaking the law. yes i know we have too many cars !!!

should i just do an online qoute and say ive got maximum no claims bonus or do they know if you have more than one policy. the thing is in 20 years of driving ive never claimed once so i dont really want to be paying through the nose for an old ford galaxy.

sory about the boring nature of the thread but this is doing my head in a bit and not sure what to do

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I know little about insurance, but one thing I wouldn't do is lie on an insurance application - they'll find out and won't pay a penny. If you've hurt anybody in an accident it could cost a shed-load. Though I must say, that it doesn't sound right that your no claims doesn't carry over to a second car - I don't know why that would be.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
You cannot use NCB on 2 vehicles....When you accept a quote from an insurance company they will want proof of NCB from your existing company, which they will not send out until your current policy expires!

I may be wrong but I think not!

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
I know little about insurance, but one thing I wouldn't do is lie on an insurance application - they'll find out and won't pay a penny. If you've hurt anybody in an accident it could cost a shed-load. Though I must say, that it doesn't sound right that your no claims doesn't carry over to a second car - I don't know why that would be.

If you have been economical with the truth and obtained insurance, the insurance company will be duty bound to cover 3rd party claims (they don't like it) but they will void your insurance and NOT pay out for your part of any claim.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
If you have been economical with the truth and obtained insurance, the insurance company will be duty bound to cover 3rd party claims (they don't like it) but they will void your insurance and NOT pay out for your part of any claim.

Oh, interesting.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
You can only have NCD on one car, I had this problem when I bought a new car and was trying to get rid of my old car and I could only get my full NCD on the new car once I had got rid of the old car

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
cheers for the advice chaps . so i just have to take the hit really it seems . apparently some companies will do multicar and put your max ncd onto the second car. admiral is one but they are not cheaper than who im with at the moment ie max ncd on my first car and 0 ncd on second .

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
I am with aviva and when we got a second car, i rang them up and they said if i stayed with them for 2 years with certain other terms which i can't remember then after the two years they would match my no claims on my other car and that they gave me a slightly discounted rate from 0 NCB. So try ringing your insurer and negiotiating, at the end of the day they want your business so its worth a go

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I've got maximum No Claims on two vehicles that I had insured with Admiral on a multi-car until earlier this month. After they tried to rip me off with the renewal I've ended up moving them to two different companies. I've been sent a Prioof of NCD for both of the vehicles.

Aside from their cynical attempt to ramp the premiums I also discovered that they were increasing my premiums because I got hit by someone last year - who accepted full responsibility and their insurance company handled the claim without involving mine other than me ringing up to discuss the pro's and con's of using the other fella's company.

The whole thing's a racket - and don't get me started on the cost of insuring teenage kids! :angry:

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I had the same problem with my two cars, in the end I insured my 2nd car through my families garage on the traders policy. It's all a legal scam though, I mean it's not like you can drive 2 cars at once is it !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here