Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone know how to work out degree classifications?

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
I've got 90% of my work back and i think it's a 2:2 but i'm worried a D from the last 10% and it's a 3rd.

This is the scores: 2nd year = 20% @ B-; 3rd year = 80% : module 1 = 10% @ C; module 2 = 10% @ C; module 3 = 10% @ C; module 4= 20% @ C-; module 5 = 20% @ D-; module 6 = 10% @ ??

Anyone know how to calculate these things?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Here's hoping your degree wasn't in maths.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Blimey, since when did they start giving out grades for university exams? Back in my day (I left university all of 5 years ago!) it was all percentages...

I think it depends entirely on where you're studying and what subject you're doing, as Titanic said.

I think it depends entirely on where you're studying and what subject you're doing, as Titanic said.

True, it just seems to me a very complicated way of doing things; we were told the percentage we got in each module, we knew what weight each module had towards our final degree classification, and we knew what the percentage boundaries were for 1st, 2:1, etc. so it was very straightforward to work out. Having to weight out grades seems rather more difficult!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
like your plagiarism enquiry, this would really be best directed to your course's administration office or your tutor.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
From someone that used to work in Quality and Standards at a University (me); you need to look at your University's academic regulations. Each University has responsibility for setting their own grade boundaries and for setting the method of working out degree classifications. The university should make this information available to students (this is a QAA requirement), but if you can't find it speak to one of the academics or guidance counsellors, who should be able to point you in the right direction.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
If they want to be consistant from one year to the next they'll only decide how to devide the classification when they've come up with the statistical distribution curve of marks vs. no of candidates across the whole year. If you get a 1st it means you're in the top quartile of that distribution curve, regardless of whether the curve was skewed towards high or low scores. It all depends on how everyone else performed as well.

If it was always at a set score, then it wouldn't really be fair, because some examiners might set easier questions now than others from a few years ago ( or vice versa ).

So you could have a lowish score of 60 % but if everyone else did much worse than you then you'd be in 1st territory, but if everyone else did much better than you, you could be in 3rd territory. That way the 'difficulty' of the degree examination is factored into the number of degree's awarded.

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
I wouldn't worry too much, the dickhead I had as my personal tutor told me I would be lucky to scrap a pass and I got a 2:1.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
If they want to be consistant from one year to the next they'll only decide how to devide the classification when they've come up with the statistical distribution curve of marks vs. no of candidates across the whole year. If you get a 1st it means you're in the top quartile of that distribution curve, regardless of whether the curve was skewed towards high or low scores. It all depends on how everyone else performed as well.

If it was always at a set score, then it wouldn't really be fair, because some examiners might set easier questions now than others from a few years ago ( or vice versa ).

So you could have a lowish score of 60 % but if everyone else did much worse than you then you'd be in 1st territory, but if everyone else did much better than you, you could be in 3rd territory. That way the 'difficulty' of the degree examination is factored into the number of degree's awarded.

Some Universities do this. The one I worked at didn't. The basic rule is that Universities can set their own method of calculating classifications and it has to be freely available to students. Classifications therefore aren't always consistent across the sector - a 2:2 at one institution isn't always comparable to a 2:2 at another.

The Uni I worked at (one or two on here may know which one it is - so please don't name the institution) was concerned about the lack of 2:1s they were giving out, so they changed their classification calculation system to make it easier.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
True, it just seems to me a very complicated way of doing things; we were told the percentage we got in each module, we knew what weight each module had towards our final degree classification, and we knew what the percentage boundaries were for 1st, 2:1, etc. so it was very straightforward to work out. Having to weight out grades seems rather more difficult!

I know what you mean. For my undergrad degree it was reasonably straightforward - percentage marks that translated into degree class at the end. For my MA, which I'm doing now, it's madness! My coursework essays are marked as A, A-, B+ and so on. This is then converted into a percentage mark (e.g. A- = 85%) and then at the end they award a pass, merit or distinction based on your average grade, but with extra weight placed on your dissertation. Complicated.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Whatever degree you end up with, regrettably it will not make your chances of securing a decent career any easier,there are many who have been trying unsuccessfully for up to three years and firms are cutting the number they are taking on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here