Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you still enjoy football now as much as you did 10 years ago?

Do you still enjoy football now as much as you did 10 years ago?

• Total voters

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yes as I know we have a future now.

Ask me a few years back and I'd have said no.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
yep still get the buzz watching and playing,more so now that my son is bha mad and playing at a academy and looks like he will be useful as he gets older

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I should add, this isn't just about the Albion, the question is meant as a 'football in general'.

Well there is too much live football nowadays so that hasn't definitely had the wrong effect along with hugely inflated salaries in the Premiershite.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Albion yes (as we have a brighter future than we did 10 years ago), but football in general a resounding NO.

Footballers are complaining of the abuse they are getting, but it does seem to be very much due to their lack of respect for the paying fan or realisation that they are privileged to be doing what the vast majority of fans would pay to play, for a very large salary.

I can't relate to anything to do with the English national game either. Little things like being crocked and unable to play for the country, but then make a miraculous recovery and play for their club 3 days later. Or complaining about the booing in Andorra, when 1,000s of fans had paid a month wages to get out there and watch it, only to endure a pitiful display against a team of goat farmers.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
no, as per previous answers, a lot of pro players see themselves as some sort of God! They have lost touch with reality.

In regards to Brighton individually, yes I stil enjoy watching and following them, just as mkuch as my first game!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Absolutely not, no. All-seater has killed it for me. I still go because I love the Albion, and its still a chance to meet up regularly with my mates (some of whom I'd see once in a blue moon if it wasn't for meeting up at the games). But all spontenaity (sp?) has gone out of the game. You can't roll up to the ground on a whim any more, stand where you like, with who you like, or take someone along without planning it days or weeks in advance. Theres no atmosphere any more, no jumping around, no cameraderie.

Football is shit these days, and its going to die on its arse at this level, as there is a whole generation of disenfranchised kids who have never picked up the bug how us 30-somethings did 20-odd years ago by meeting up with mates on the terraces. Prices are ridiculous which means kids have to rely on adults taking them along. And sitting there with your dad is fine when you're younger, but when you reach your mid to late teens and want to go with all your mates - you can't.

Its rubbish now.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Not as much as I once did. The whole game has become a great big Money Machine where every decision is debated over for hours by TV pundits - that could cost the manager his job, or a player his job etc etc... It's a game for F**k's sake !

The beauty of the game for me is that things are not always cut and dried and an element of interpretation by officials for example makes the game more interesting. Granted many refs are pretty crap especially at the lower end of the leagues, but I don't want the game neatly packaged and formulaic.

When it's now costing the punter on the street £25 to watch 3rd Div footy or even more for the Premier League I can see why people are starting to vote with their feet - also this was always the working mans game when in years gone by people didn't think twice about whether they could afford to go. Now you practically have to take out a 2nd mortgage to go with your son for a season.

And as for all the prima-donnas who can't stay on their feet and do everything they can to get opponents booked or sent off by feigning injury, as far as I'm concerned they can stuff it. How would today's players have lasted on the pitch back in the late 70's or early 80's - anyone remember when you only had one sub ? Players back then might not have been so skillfull (or were they) but they stood up to be counted and just got up and got on with the game when they got knocked down.

The whole essence of the game has been diluted over the years for me with too much corporate involvement, exorbitant prices, and fancy dan players. Maybe it's just me getting old, but having been a season ticket holder for 23 out of 25 years, I can honestly say that I don't miss going every week now. I'll still support the Albion as long as I live and make two thirds of the games each year but to answer the question in the thread - the answer is No.

Rant over.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
After 40 odd years of watching the Albion........no..........just about had enough of it all now. I still have a seaon ticket, but it will definitely be my last. I,ve missed 3 or 4 home games already this year and going to Withdean is now just a chore and duty.........no longer something look forward to with relish.
Poor facilties, penniless Board of Directors, and nothing but continual delays on the way to Jerusalem (.....sorry Falmer).
Falling fan-base, and only those on here and the few thousand left at Withdean really care anymore. The tens of thousands who have dropped out over the years will not be back I,m afraid. They have found better and far cheaper things to do every other Saturday.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Absolutely not, no. All-seater has killed it for me. I still go because I love the Albion, and its still a chance to meet up regularly with my mates (some of whom I'd see once in a blue moon if it wasn't for meeting up at the games). But all spontenaity (sp?) has gone out of the game. You can't roll up to the ground on a whim any more, stand where you like, with who you like, or take someone along without planning it days or weeks in advance. Theres no atmosphere any more, no jumping around, no cameraderie.

Football is shit these days, and its going to die on its arse at this level, as there is a whole generation of disenfranchised kids who have never picked up the bug how us 30-somethings did 20-odd years ago by meeting up with mates on the terraces. Prices are ridiculous which means kids have to rely on adults taking them along. And sitting there with your dad is fine when you're younger, but when you reach your mid to late teens and want to go with all your mates - you can't.

Its rubbish now.

summed up well :clap:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I didn't get much of a buzz from the Albion 10 years ago even though I went to just about every game at Gillingham, but have enjoyed pretty well every season since we won the 1st Championship except for last year. I was getting quite excited about this team though until the revelations of the last 48 hours. I could easily walk away from watching, if not supporting in spirit the Albion if the wheels start to come off this season. I know that's bad fan stuff but following this club in freefall is not something I'll spend my money and time on again. I don't have the enthusiasm to go through watching the stuff served up 10 years ago again.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
No, the prem has ruined football in this country.

When you get the likes of Savage turning down a decent contract offer because he feels it wasn't enough, it shows why lower league football is in trouble and fans are deserting it in droves.

Good topic BTW.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia

Its rubbish now.

Post of the YEAR, Easy. I was going to say, "Yes I think I do", but having read that I'm not sure. My parents were never bothered about football and in fact only moved to Brighton when I was four. So it was only thanks to my friend Richard's parents who used to give me and my brother their spare South Stand tickets when they weren't using them that I got into going. This was 1992 -- just before the Barry Lloyd shit hit the fan.

Then, I could just about afford to scrape together three quid every other week to go and stand on the west terrace with a girl I fancied* and my other mates. Nowadays I live in London, earning more than the average wage for a person in the capital, and I simply can't be bothered to faff about getting tickets in advance, and paying 25 pounds plus a booking fee, to go and sit on an uncovered lego stand, with not enough room for my legs, among different strangers every time.

I got swept up in the campaign against Archer and Bellotti very readily and, looking back on it, enjoyed the cameraderie of those times and the friends I made. Now the Falmer fight is over, we'll never get whipped up in that sort of we-can-do-it fervour again, and I sort of miss it. In ten years we'll either become a mid-table Championship side in quite a nice stadium, or we'll have gone bust. I'm slightly annoyed that there's nothing I can do to influence what happens, which is probably why I don't go so much any more.

*Who, annoyingly, I never got together with. It was even more annoying when my brother slept with her sister.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
:braders:
No, the prem has ruined football in this country.

Well said. The overpaid prima donnas, the glory seekers who latch on to successful teams, even though they only watch them on TV, the money men, high prices and the prawn sandwich brigade, the fact that so many now support one of the fashionable sides instead of their local team etc etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here