Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do we really need to sign anyone?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Don't get me wrong, I'm as keen as anyone to see us linked with big name signings or emerging new talent. But assuming we can hang onto the players we've got (no guarantee of that, I accept), do we really need to add to the squad at this point of the season?

We're not going up, which is fine, and are very unlikely to go down, so there's no emergency to deal with on those fronts.

Then we've got Vicente and Hoskins to come back from injuries, hopefully imminently, who will be like new signings in their own right.

Grant Hall is looking like the real deal so he'll perhaps be the natural replacement for Dunk if he goes. In goal, I'm pretty confident that Brezovan is good enough to see out the season, and is in decent form.

I would like to see a strong central midfielder, if one is available, but perhaps a Bridcutt-Vicente combination will be a potent combination in the middle of the park.

So all in all, the January transfer window is perhaps not as important as we may think. But in the summer we'll certainly need to strengthen in several areas, with the experience of a full season at this level. I reckon.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Don't get me wrong, I'm as keen as anyone to see us linked with big name signings or emerging new talent. But assuming we can hang onto the players we've got (no guarantee of that, I accept), do we really need to add to the squad at this point of the season?

We're not going up, which is fine, and are very unlikely to go down, so there's no emergency to deal with on those fronts.

Then we've got Vicente and Hoskins to come back from injuries, hopefully imminently, who will be like new signings in their own right.

Grant Hall is looking like the real deal so he'll perhaps be the natural replacement for Dunk if he goes. In goal, I'm pretty confident that Brezovan is good enough to see out the season, and is in decent form.

I would like to see a strong central midfielder, if one is available, but perhaps a Bridcutt-Vicente combination will be a potent combination in the middle of the park.

So all in all, the January transfer window is perhaps not as important as we may think. But in the summer we'll certainly need to strengthen in several areas, with the experience of a full season at this level. I reckon.

its a good post and I would be happy to continue as we are, albeit with the key players back and available, people say we need a new lump up front and thats cool, but could Buckley not play that role and leave KLL and Noone as our wide men?

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
To be fair we can't really comment on the team Gus built for this season as injuries have prevented us seeing it consistantly.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
No need to make any signings at all, unless an absolutely unbelievable opportunity came up.

Is Jara Reyes contract up at end of the Season, might be worth snapping him up now if we can.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Even with our whole squad fit, I'd like to see a striker to compliment CMS and a midfielder that offers something different to what we have already. I think we'd be fine without, but could close in on the playoffs with these extra players, with Vicente fit for at least some games.

D

Deleted member 18477

Need a striker and powerful centre mid OR a very creative one who keeps the ball well and creates stuff.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
If we had a fully fit squad then I still think we need a new keeper, A right back and a big powerful striker.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Depends what our ambitions are.

The current squad would see us finish comfortably in mid table, but I think 8-10th would be as good as it would get.

The injection of just a couple of quality players (Jara and a striker) would push us up to the 5th-8th bracket. In my opinion, like.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The 'big striker' would be nice, but not essential. Also wouldn't mind Reyes coming in permanently. Other than that I wouldn't be upset if we made no signings at all during January, certainly we don't need to take a gamble with any panic buys. Leave the main strengthening until the summer.

Wouldn't want to see any 1st team players leave though.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Don't NEED to sign someone to finish mid table no. A striker who is actually fit would help get us a little higher. Every club would LIKE to sign a player better than they currently have, we don't NEED to no.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
We need to keep the good players we have first and foremost.
It would be a disaster if we lost Noone and Bridcut with perhaps a week to go in the window. It would be great if we could get Reyes back, a full back and perhaps a loan goalie. We have yet to see what Hoskins/ Vicente can do for us on a regular basis.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
------------------------- Signing ------------------------
Calderon -------- Greer -------- Dunk -------- Signing
Buckley ---------- Vicente ----- Bridcutt ------ Noone
-------------------- CMS ------- Signing ----------------

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Depends what our ambitions are.

The current squad would see us finish comfortably in mid table, but I think 8-10th would be as good as it would get.

The injection of just a couple of quality players (Jara and a striker) would push us up to the 5th-8th bracket. In my opinion, like.

Wouldnt that perhaps be like learning to run before we can walk. I suggest that we should settle for upper midtable and then strengthen in the summer where needed.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
If the rest of the season just peters out it could have a detrimental effect on new ST sales in the ESU and corners. :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here