Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do we need one or two more Championship experienced signings?

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
I think we are all happy with the signings we've so far made, they are in someways the cream of League One however having seen Forest signing Greening who is experienced at Premiership and even European level I would be more comfortable if we too had someone on the pitch who could guide our gifted youngsters. Or am I getting last minute nerves..

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I have been pondering this too. On the one hand I am happy with the signings to date and feel we will hold our own in the Championship. We already have a sizeable squad and will have the luxury of competition for several team places. We will need this resilience in case of injuries and suspensions.

However I also feel that if we are truly ambitious then a couple more of the 'right' signings could make the difference between consolidation and becoming real contenders. I am very optimistic about our chances but think the Championship will be harder and more competitive than some punters think. Our rivals will see how potent we are going forward so look to push onto us far more aggressively than in Lge 1 and try to stifle our footie style. I really hope we continue to take sides apart but like one or two other posters I feel there will times when we may need a bit more of a physical presence to help grind out a result.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Personnally I think we need 3 more with significant Championship experience. Upfront, central midfield, and in central defence.

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
I think we have enough to start certainly. However i think we will see more players come in once the loan window opens. Alot of players will be trying to fight it out at thier clubs whther that be in the Premiership or Championship. Once its clear after 3 weeks that they are not starting, they will fancy some first team football and we will benefit from that.

We def need more players that have been there and done it - however saying that Sparrow, CMS, Hoskins, Buckley,Painter have all played in the Championship.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
El Abd has played in the Championship too - for us.

I think we'll see some experienced players come in towards the end of August once they had a chance to evaluate their options. There is also the chance of a half-season loan for Premier League players that have been omitted from their club's 25 man squad (this does not apply to youngsters).

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I think we are all happy with the signings we've so far made, they are in someways the cream of League One however having seen Forest signing Greening who is experienced at Premiership and even European level I would be more comfortable if we too had someone on the pitch who could guide our gifted youngsters. Or am I getting last minute nerves..

Look at what Norwich did last year - they bought some of the best lower league players (Crofts, Jackson et al) and this worked for them... not saying it will work for us, but its not a bad act to follow...

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
There is also the chance of a half-season loan for Premier League players that have been omitted from their club's 25 man squad

There is possibly potential in this as many PS teams will want their players learning the *right* type of football which Gus is trying to achieve. This will especially appeal to teams like Arsenal and Chelsea (Gus I assume may have contacts a the Blues) who don't want their players just to play physical hoof & run style play. That said, we are certainly not the only team in the CS playing proper passing type football but it at least increases our chance of getting a good loan player.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Ankergren played for Leeds in his first season in the Championship.
Noone has also played in the Championship with Plymouth, so I make that 8 players who have appeared in this league.

Last edited:

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
I've said it once and I'll say it again......Scott Brown of celtic is becoming more unsettled as each day goes by. Wont commit pen to paper (brinkmanship possibly) but even though he plays for the dark side, I actually rate him highly. Let Greer give him a call to tell him what's happening down here. He is an imposing player who can play centre half or central/right midfield. He's a blood and guts type of player but more importantly can play too. If there's money in the kitty then lets test their resolve. I would say that around £2m - £2.5m would secure his services

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Championship will be a physical challenge, and I expect Gus is trying to add physical players prior to the first game.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I've said it once and I'll say it again......Scott Brown of celtic is becoming more unsettled as each day goes by. Wont commit pen to paper (brinkmanship possibly) but even though he plays for the dark side, I actually rate him highly. Let Greer give him a call to tell him what's happening down here. He is an imposing player who can play centre half or central/right midfield. He's a blood and guts type of player but more importantly can play too. If there's money in the kitty then lets test their resolve. I would say that around £2m - £2.5m would secure his services

Do behave

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

Not a hope in hell. Cost them over £4m a few years ago and has since played numerous times for Scotland and become Celtics captain. I take it you've ignored his wages as well?

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
Championship is going to be a hell of a lot harder than we think. We saw a few times last season that if teams are high-tempo and consistently press us with some physical presence too we're very very shakey.

Good signings so far, but personally I think we need to assess signings without thinking about CMS - i view him as a sort of luxury, not the bread-and-butter which we need to get us through.

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean

This. My source has told me that the club are trying to get a £2.5 plus player but he wouldn't say who. he said something about Greer but I didnt understand at the time...

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
This. My source has told me that the club are trying to get a £2.5 plus player but he wouldn't say who. he said something about Greer but I didnt understand at the time...

:facepalm:

For gods sake. You do realise it would take well over £5million to get Scott Brown? Celtic are desperate for him to stay, he's there captain, one of their best players, and a frequent Scottish international. He'd be on over 20k a week, and is wanted by Premiership clubs. Why would he drop that, AND playing in Europe to come to the Championship?

Jesus wept.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Looking at the team for tonight, I think we have a very strong squad.

The team for tonight is:

Brezovan
Calderon, Cook, Hall, Painter
Bridcutt
Smith, Sparrow, LuaLua
Agdestein, Hoskins​

Which suggests the team to play PSG will be:

Ankergren
Tarricco, Greer, Dunk, Vincelot
Navarro
Noone, dicker, Buckley,
Barnes, Mackail-Smith​

Looking at those two teams makes me feel remarkably good.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Looking at the team for tonight, I think we have a very strong squad.

The team for tonight is:

Brezovan
Calderon, Cook, Hall, Painter
Bridcutt
Smith, Sparrow, LuaLua
Agdestein, Hoskins​

Which suggests the team to play PSG will be:

Ankergren
Tarricco, Greer, Dunk, Vincelot
Navarro
Noone, dicker, Buckley,
Barnes, Mackail-Smith​

Looking at those two teams makes me feel remarkably good.

Except, of course, Barnes hasn't travelled. Apparently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here