Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do We Expect Too Much?

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
After a 4-1 drubbing from Scunthorpe this afternoon,(I was in attendance) and listening to the usual whinging and moaning that riddles message boards, phone in's etc , I beg the question...

What the bloody hell do we expect from the Albion each week? 100% win at all costs ???

I am not denying that losing like we did today in that fashion, particularly at home was pitifully embarassing to say the least. Lets not beat about the preverbial bush.
Up untill today we were unbeaten from season start. A couple of weeks ago, we were singing the praises over some quite encouraging results, regardless of performances, we gained points.
Now lets bring the club down into reality. We occupy a shit hole of a ground, with a capicity of 8000 , we bearly touch 5-6.k. Thats the first point. We are as it stands seen as a small club, based purely on stadia. The atmosphere, from where I usually sit is utter crap. "the conditions dont help" I hear many say. Well of course they dont, but Ive seen it a dam sight better than what it is. We are the twelth man, and we should be getting behind the Adams and the boys, much better than what we are. Until we move to Falmer things arent going to change.
Secondly we have a cracking manager, a strong team on all fronts, we cannot let this result hamper our views on micky or any of the players. No one is on thier game every week, we must simply take it on the chin, learn from the mistakes, and go into the next game with a determination to put right what we done wrong. Taking a negative attitude into the next game is going to do no good what so ever.

I hope I havent upset anyone, and I look forward to all the negative replies that I am going to encite, however we've got to face reality a bit more, yes we can do better, just have patience, and faith. Its still early days.

Good things come to those who wait.:)

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
it rained. it was cold. we conceded four. the players looked like they didnt give a toss. we made no changes to signal anything attacking until it was too late. we had a left back in central midfield as our attempted match changing sub. two players who played well on tuesday night in a WIN were dropped to the bench. and it cost £25 for the pleasure

id say all those factors coupled together make it pretty obvious why a lot of people are disgruntled with today

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Right can I actually say this or not?! That reminded me so much of the game against Kidderminster Harriers, the second year MA was in charge. We were awful, and lost two-nil but we still went up! So it aint all gloom and doom.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Im not denying the home performances are an eye opener, they are. We lost our first game today and suddenly "everythings gone tits up". If we were losing like this and not picking up home wins deeper into the season, then I can see the cause for concern. I think some people are just jumping the gun a little. Bad performance today = yes, and im sure micky knows it. Lets let him sort it out before we can judge him this time round. I dont see hw people before this afternoon can be calling for him to go. Its bloody madness

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Secondly we have a cracking manager, a strong team on all fronts, we cannot let this result hamper our views on micky or any of the players. :)

Whatever you're on can I have some pse? Is MA really a cracking manager? I remain to be convinced on this.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I'm happy if the players give 100%, there were probably 5/6 players out there who didn't seem to care.

I don't expect wins every game, but if they put their heart in to it, you can't ask for much more.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Bad performance today = yes, and im sure micky knows it. Lets let him sort it out before we can judge him this time round. I dont see hw people before this afternoon can be calling for him to go. Its bloody madness

not just today though - can anybody honestly say they thought we have played well this season at home?

if orient could score, we would have lost that game as well. its a worrying sign that three home games into the season we are still yet to look like winning a game

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Whatever you're on can I have some pse? Is MA really a cracking manager? I remain to be convinced on this.

its called faith and a bit of patience:thumbsup:

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
It's interesting this. Judging by all the reports and comments I've heard on the first two home games, which I didn't see, we played poorly and were lucky to escape with a point from both of them.

As I saw it - and sure, I may be entirely deluded and viewing the game with different specs - we lost the game because of basic errors in defence, coupled with clinical finishing from an away side who I expect to be up there at the end of the season.

After conceding early we pushed hard in a couple of phases of the first half and had decent chances to at least level: Cox's header, Forster's glancing header wide of the far post, Elphick's free header from a corner, Murray's one on one with the keeper, and Forster's volley denied only by a brilliant last ditch tackle. Had we gone in at 1-1, I'd have given us a decent chance of going on to win the game.

Going 2-0 down on the stroke of halftime via some dubious linesmanship and poor defensive concentration, probably cost us the game.

After the break we should have pulled one back when Hawkins scuffed his shot on the back post - if that had fallen to just about anyone else, we would have. And even once we'd gone 3-0 down, we still had chances, notably Murray's second one on one.

On another day, with chances taken, today's game wouldn't have looked half the whipping it appears.

Now it's up to Micky to get the players up again, and push on. It's our first defeat, and it won't be our last, but it's not *that* calamitous. We'll come back stronger, and I suspect Yeovil will see that.

Just my twopence worth ...

scooter1

How soon is now?
I was there today and we were played off the park in every position, their centre half pretty much bossed Murray and Forster, and i've just read he's 18(ok he's on loan from Birmingham, but what a good player). I thought Richards looked ok in centre midfield, he was woeful at left back and they new it in the first half. If we'd have score in that spell in the first half when we were on top it could have been a very different game.
Sadly I agree with most when I read that we just don't have any depth to our squad. There was nobody on our bench who I thought(and this is just opinion) could offer anything positive. Its only one loss, to a team who looked like promotion material(although we've yet to face Leicester and Leeds). They just have to move on. MA knows it was bad and its his job to have the players get it right. The one positive is Man City will see that, bring down the reserves and we may be able to surprise them, or at least get a draw and a replay(pay day) up at Eastlands

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
After a 4-1 drubbing from Scunthorpe this afternoon,(I was in attendance) and listening to the usual whinging and moaning that riddles message boards, phone in's etc , I beg the question...

What the bloody hell do we expect from the Albion each week? 100% win at all costs ???

I am not denying that losing like we did today in that fashion, particularly at home was pitifully embarassing to say the least. Lets not beat about the preverbial bush.
Up untill today we were unbeaten from season start. A couple of weeks ago, we were singing the praises over some quite encouraging results, regardless of performances, we gained points.

Only the muppets have been singing the praises. The cognoscenti have noted that the home performances have been uniformly f***ing dreadful.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
I'm not expecting TOO MUCH. I am expecting for the team to put in at least a half decent performance. Almost every player out there today was absolute toilet.

"regardless of performances we gained points"??

TWO fortunate skin-of-the-teeth and inept home draws were exposed for what they were - lucky escapes. We ain't going up, I can tell you that now - and we are going to suffer a lot of very crap games this season.

Maybe we 'expect' The Albion to at least be to the standard that Wilkins had us playing at, since he was reluctantly ousted in favour of Adams. DK seems to have fallen for the golden-boy memories from Championship former glories, in bringing in Adams.

cjwoolven

Jun 4, 2008
a few bad games, im thinking most people did expect alot better of MA. but HOPEFULLY we pick it up and keep pushing for those cruitial points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here