Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dixons have stopped selling cameras

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Dixons group have announced they are stopping selling SLR' old film style cameras in favour of digital camers.

what are us old bastards going to do with out box brownies?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Buy them from a decent shop not staffed by pre-pubescent chav pond life whose only motivation is to flog extended warranties?

sounds a plan

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Buy them from a decent shop not staffed by pre-pubescent chav pond life whose only motivation is to flog extended warranties?
Extended warranties eh? What f***ing BARGAINS they are.

Who in their right mind buys one of those?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Who in their right mind whould buy a camera from Dixons in the first place? Overpriced, sales staff that know more about acne then they do the product, sales staff who went to the "if you do not understand me then you must be thick" school of customer service and sales staff whos number one motivation is to get you to spend as much cash as you can, irlevant to if you need the enhanced features on the top model.

jolson

Aug 8, 2005
Simster said:
Extended warranties eh? What f***ing BARGAINS they are.

Who in their right mind buys one of those?

Tell you what Simster, on the whole you're right but if you ever buy anything high value from Richer Sounds, definitely take out their insurance, it's a bargain. Got a £300 amp, the thing died after a year and a bit, went back with my £8 a year warranty, they didn't have that model in stock so they gave me a brand new better one. Result!

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I'd agree with that. My CD recorder died, took it back to Richer Sounds to get fixed with my 3 year £20 warranty, got it fixed and got a replacement whilst waiting for its return.

My previous one wwent kaputt after 18 months. Bought from Dixons without a warranty, when it broke down took it in for repair would have cost £250 to fix. Bought a new one for far less.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The difference here is the cost of the warranty at Dixons is a total stitch up. On the other hand, £8 a year on a £300 piece of kit does seem perfectly reasonable. If Dixons had sold you the hardware, the zitmeister making the sale would have tried convincing you that his £50 warranty was a "must have". :nono:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I popped into Dixons in Haywards Heath looking for a walkman that does LW (found one elsewhere) and the shop attendent said...and I quote: "We dont do walkmans anymore, only digital walkmans" ??? so I replied "so you sell walkmans then!?" in a witty jackass style....he replied "no"

:shootself

he meant they no longer sell TAPE PLAYER walkmans which I fathomed out for myself and the major lack of any in the shop! Now my classic G'N'R & AC/DC & Metallica compilations on tape may aswell head for the fire :(

jolson

Aug 8, 2005
That's illegal, that is, Sim. It's against the law to mis-sell insurance of any kind, which includes any kind of personal recommendation to buy the cover. If anyone said that to me I'd come back with my solicitor :D

Last edited:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
dave the gaffer said:
Dixons group have announced they are stopping selling SLR' old film style cameras in favour of digital camers.

what are us old bastards going to do with out box brownies?

didn't we have a carbon copy of this thread several months ago with regards to Video players?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Re: Re: Dixons have stopped selling cameras

Normal Rob said:
didn't we have a carbon copy of this thread several months ago with regards to Video players?

Yes, yes we did

I was in a UK branch of Currys (same company) three weeks ago. They still had VCR's. They even had a Freeview VCR - freeview decoder built in....

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Park Cameras are a friend of the Albion, and are very reasonably priced.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Dixons have stopped selling cameras

MYOB said:
Yes, yes we did

I was in a UK branch of Currys (same company) three weeks ago. They still had VCR's. They even had a Freeview VCR - freeview decoder built in....

What amazes me is that anyone pays £15.99 for video tapes from HMV, Virgin, Asda etc. The video market has been dead for years and yet there are still muppets buying them at these prices.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
dougdeep said:
Park Cameras are a friend of the Albion, and are very reasonably priced.

They may be all that but the quality of their service can be erratic. I used to put all my business (at that point several thousands of pounds worth!) their way until the day I rang their Burgess Hill shop to ask if they'd got a particular lens in stock. A completely disinterested person couldn't be arsed to check whether it was in stock at the Haywards Heath branch OR ring Sigma to check whether they could get a delivery quicker than 10 days. So I phoned Hailsham Cameras who got the lens down overnight - as cheaply as Park Cameras too. So bollocks to 'em! A shame because they know of what they speak. But they aren't the only decent camera shop in Sussex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here