Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dixie Dean

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
I never hear alot about this fella, or maybe i just have not be listening out for him, but bloody hell what a player he used to be, 37 Hatricks he scored, and in one season he scored over 60goals.

Why is he never upthere mention with the great players, like Moore etc... For England his goal record speaks for its self. I know he only played 16 times for England but he scored 18 goals including 2 hatricks, but seems to have been broken up by ww2, he also played for Great Britain at the Olympics.

He died during the Mersey side derby at Goodison of a heart attack, i have heard his name mentioned in football a few times but until tonight never really looked at his record, and im blown away.

[WIKI]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_Dean[/WIKI]

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
absolute legend of the game

brian clough was pretty prolific too,shame his career was cut short by injury

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
But Duncan is always talked about, esp his potential talent.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Duncan is talked about as he was taken away from the game tragically in the munich air disaster.

When I was growing up Dixie Dean was talked about a lot but as time goes by his memory and achievements fade.

Great achievements from a great man.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Wouldn't help to prolong his legendary status as all his matches were pre-war with no TV coverage and only grainy old black and white film to show him in action.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Imagine having the pressure of scoring a hat-trick on the last day of the season to break the record of 59 League goals in a season...

That's how it was for Dixie Dean.

Incredible scoring feat.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Great player. Did a Cantona at West ham once..........

Dean was mixed race, and a West Ham fan gave him some disgusting abuse as he came off the field. Dixie went over to the yob concerned and laid him out cold. A policeman hurried across to the incident - shook Dixie Dean by the hand and said, "Thank you very much, Mr. Dean - you've saved me a job".

Oh how times have changed............

Jul 20, 2003
also supposedly used to take a drag on fan's cigarettes by the touchline during a game

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
You mean there was football before the Premier League? Shit...

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
You mean there was football before the Premier League? Shit...[/QUOTE

You have hit the nail on the head sir. There was a great respect for football's heritage before hand, great players from the past were known, not just Dixie Dean, but Billy Meredith, Steve Bloomer etc etc. Then 1992 became year zero.......

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Was going to say the same when I saw this thread. His achievements mean nothing because they were pre-1992, therefore players like Les Ferdinand or Chris Sutton are deemed to be more important as per the SkySports Guide To Football.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
And you could actually (heaven forbid) touch or lay out a goalkeeper then !! Also am I right in saying off-side hadn't been bought in? Still and amazing player though!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
And you could actually (heaven forbid) touch or lay out a goalkeeper then !! Also am I right in saying off-side hadn't been bought in? Still and amazing player though!

Offside had been brought in many decades before but a change to the offside law in 1925 made things much harder for the defences. Before, an attacker could be offside if there one or no defenders nearer to the goal when the ball to the attacker was played. After 1925, playing the offside trap became much more dangerous for the defence as the attacker could only be offside if he was closer to the goal when the attacking ball was played. The problem, as it is nowadays, is if the defence gets it wrong, the attacker would be clean through on goal with just the keeper to beat.

Before 1925, having such an offside law that so favoured the defence meant that defences in the standard 2-3-5 formation could cope fairly adequately with having to stifle five attackers, particularly as they drew defensive support from the half-backs. After 1925, the game very much favoured the attackers, which can partly explain the avalanche of goals in that late 1920s period. George Camsell had hit 59 goals for Middlesbrough the previous season to Dixie Dean's amazing 60 goal achievement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here