Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] DISGRACEFUL stat

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Seems the purpose of hyphens is one of those things that's being forgotten by all but the most pedantic grammarians. Technically, the only time you should see "free kick" hyphenated is when it's used as an adjective before a noun. So "he scored a free-kick goal" is fine (if clunky), but it should be "he scored from a free kick" without a hyphen.

So it's wrong to say it should never be hyphenated, but in most instances it's not used as an adjective so doesn't need hyphenation.

"Freekick" is becoming more common though. I can't say I like it, but I expect over time it'll become the accepted (and therefore correct) form.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Seems the purpose of hyphens is one of those things that's being forgotten by all but the most pedantic grammarians. Technically, the only time you should see "free kick" hyphenated is when it's used as an adjective before a noun. So "he scored a free-kick goal" is fine (if clunky), but it should be "he scored from a free kick" without a hyphen.

So it's wrong to say it should never be hyphenated, but in most instances it's not used as an adjective so doesn't need hyphenation.

"Freekick" is becoming more common though. I can't say I like it, but I expect over time it'll become the accepted (and therefore correct) form.
I think it's been discussed here before that there is no definition of "stonewall" that applies in the context that it's used in football yet it has become accepted and common. I heard before (don't know if it's true) that it was Alex Ferguson getting his words mixed up that started it - he'd meant to say a penalty decision was a "stone cold certainty" or something, I forget what exactly. It's fascinating to me how language evolves by accident sometimes though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here