Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] DISGRACEFUL stat

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
These are a disgusting/average/sensationalist stat.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I'm not saying its easy. But it is what they do for a living.

The goal is MASSIVE. Players are shockingly bad at kicking the ball into it unchallenged. If I did nothing else all week, I'd be brilliant at it. So would you.

Less time at the tattoo parlour, never mind sodding off at 11am - more time on the training pitch with those wire-frame manwalls.
It would be SO MUCH EASIER if the other team wasn't allowed to put ELEVEN(11) players in front of the goal. Apparently 1(ONE) even gets to use HIS/HER/THEIR hands.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Talksport today said it was Welbeck's 1st direct free-kick goal in his career. Maybe he should take more of them.
They also thought he was playing as well as he ever has done, including when he was playing for England.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Here's how other teams have done in that time. According to the PL website Danny Welbeck's was our 5th free kick, not the 4th (I know, I know, hard to imagine the Daily Mail don't have their facts right).

Direct Free Kicks scored from 17-18 to present (Danny's is the only one so far this season)

This doesn't take into account how many seasons a team has been in the PL, can't be bothered to work that out. (maybe someone else will?!)

Southampton 16
Man City 14
Leicester 9
Arsenal 8
Crystal Palace 8
Chelsea 7
Liverpool 7
Newcastle 6
Brighton 5
Aston Villa 4
Bournemouth 4
Brentford 4
Man Utd 4
Everton 3
Leeds 3
Burnley 2
Fulham 2
Tottenham 2
Wolves 2
Huddersfield 1
Luton 1
West Brom 1
IIRC the official PL data is wrong. Its just four. They're counting the Lewis Dunk goal that was ruled out.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Dunks goal at Liverpool wasn't ruled out.
Which still makes it 4.
You're right, but his free kick goal against WBA was ruled out. But the PL are still counting it in some stats.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Worse is that three of those free kicks were by errors by the goalkeeper...

Gross against Everton - went through Pickfords hands pretty much, and wasn't in the corner
Dunk against Liverpool - Quick thinking yes, but Allison should never have let it happen
Welbeck against Forest - Wasn't in the corner and Sels should have got to it, but bad positioning and didn't move

Only Mac Allisters against Leicester was in the corner (and wasn't even his best "goal" in that game!)
The Welbeck free kick is as good as it gets. Its the perfect height (hidden behind the wall) and the goalie doesn't see it before its too late. Impossible to do something as a keeper if you haven't seen the direction of the ball until its past the wall.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's not a disgraceful stat. It simply shows that more goals are scored by crossing or build up play than direct shots
Yep. On a par with our miserable number of saves by our keeper of reckless back passes.

And the total absence of times I have said yes to a flagrant offer of rumpy pumpy from an International Supermodel.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Weird how we all get excited by a free-kick on the edge of the box when there's a 0.0001% chance of scoring from it unless the keeper has a howler :)
Humans can be shit at weighing the odds, and many of us game them to suit our desires.

For trivial matters like spectator sport its all part of the fun.

In real life it can risk survival, but the advantage, if the risk comes off, is the bigger reward.

This explains seemingly irrational pursuits, and risk-taking behaviour in commerce and sport (and war).

Sorry, I'm apparently on one today. :facepalm:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The Welbeck free kick is as good as it gets. Its the perfect height (hidden behind the wall) and the goalie doesn't see it before its too late. Impossible to do something as a keeper if you haven't seen the direction of the ball until its past the wall.
The goalkeepers starting position was too central. He needed to be at least one metre to his left to protect that side of the goal. The wall protects the other half.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Great question. I’m gonna stick my neck out and say 4.

I’m sure Ward-Prowse scored one. A Man City player scored one. I reckon there’s 2 others I’ve forgotten.
Yep. The City one was Phil Foden scoring from the free kick he got for slipping and falling over last season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
According to the Premier League we scored:
2 in the 19-20 season (Dunk, Groß)
1 in the 20-21 season (???)
1 in the 22-23 season (Mac Allister)
1 in the 24-25 season (Welbeck)
I need to know the PHANTOM free kick goal in 20-21 then or its going to bother me. And I'm going to bed soon.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I'm not saying its easy. But it is what they do for a living.

The goal is MASSIVE. Players are shockingly bad at kicking the ball into it unchallenged. If I did nothing else all week, I'd be brilliant at it. So would you.

Less time at the tattoo parlour, never mind sodding off at 11am - more time on the training pitch with those wire-frame manwalls.
I think I agree. Let’s say footballers train 175 days a year allowing for match days, rest days, injury, off-season etc. if someone spends an hour every training day on free kick practice from, say, 16 years old then by the time they are 22 they’ve spent around 1000 hours practicing something that’s honing a skill (kicking a ball) they are already elite at. I know developing a skill is subject to the law of diminishing returns but you’d expect at least the trajectory of improvement to be upwards and not a static line. Maybe Welbeck is showing that improvement by his late-career free kick goal.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I need to know the PHANTOM free kick goal in 20-21 then or its going to bother me. And I'm going to bed soon.
Lewis Dunk against WBA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here