Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Discipline

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Having read comments about Brighton's disciplinary record I thought I would share some stats.

Although Brighton commit more fouls than the average in the division, they have actually committed less fouls than their league opposition in 16 of the 22 games they have played this season.

Twenty of Brighton's opponents have committed more fouls against Brighton than they have averaged in their other matches. The two that haven't are Burnley, who played against 9 for 80 minutes and Cardiff who got spanked 3-1.

Brighton have received the most yellow cards this season. 51 is 13 more than any other side. However their opponents in the 22 games have received a total of 53 yellow cards.

It follows that matches involving Brighton receive a higher than average number of cards. As Brighton are the only team who play in all of these games, they are statistically more likely to get yellow cards than other teams.

It could be that teams come to Brighton with the plan to defend a high line and squeeze the space. Leeds and West Ham have both stated that this was their plan. If this is a standard tactic used against Brighton it would seem that player contact would be more prevelant and consequently fouls and cards more likely.

Unfortunately, Brighton may be getting a reputation which could be the result of the tactics of their opposition.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I was making his point last week. I have it as:

disciplinary 2012.12.18.jpg
(Click to enlarge, slightly)

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
that is frightfully interesting.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Having read comments about Brighton's disciplinary record I thought I would share some stats.

Although Brighton commit more fouls than the average in the division, they have actually committed less fouls than their league opposition in 16 of the 22 games they have played this season.

Twenty of Brighton's opponents have committed more fouls against Brighton than they have averaged in their other matches. The two that haven't are Burnley, who played against 9 for 80 minutes and Cardiff who got spanked 3-1.

Brighton have received the most yellow cards this season. 51 is 13 more than any other side. However their opponents in the 22 games have received a total of 53 yellow cards.

It follows that matches involving Brighton receive a higher than average number of cards. As Brighton are the only team who play in all of these games, they are statistically more likely to get yellow cards than other teams.

It could be that teams come to Brighton with the plan to defend a high line and squeeze the space. Leeds and West Ham have both stated that this was their plan. If this is a standard tactic used against Brighton it would seem that player contact would be more prevelant and consequently fouls and cards more likely.

Unfortunately, Brighton may be getting a reputation which could be the result of the tactics of their opposition.

That is a very good analysis and one that seems to have some justification....well played.....just go to show that stats really can show exactly what you want them too. Don't suppose the FA will be at all interested though

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
It is VERY odd that in most games we've had the same as, or less yellows than the opposition. I pointed it out on here a while back (when the stat was even more in our favour). For whatever reason, refs are far quicker to dish out the cards in our games than in others. It seems to be becoming a vicious circle unfortunately, in that referees are being stricter partly because of our supposed reputation of bad discipline - which is just making thing worse.

As has been said on here before, I think it's mainly due to cynical, 'taking one for the team' type play (ie. a body check or trip when opponents are breaking). This comes as a result of our expansive style (leaving space to be exposed when we lose possession), we take risks in order to keep the ball, and perhaps some of our players are found wanting in terms of athleticism/defensive tracking. I think if you were to look through our yellows, the minority would have been given for overly physical challenges that you'd associate with a 'dirty' team.

But yes, I'd agree with the general assessment that it's in part down to the opposition's tactics of pressing high and not giving us room. Quite where we go from here, I'm not sure - but I trust Gus put things right in that department.

DIRK STEELE

Banned
Mar 4, 2011
London now.
Excellent work! The club, the FA and the refs should be told. Anyone else got any other analysis? Does the way we play, as well as the skills we have, mean other teams have to foul us more to compete? And that refs should give us more protection than they do?

Aquilaugh

Jan 9, 2011

Unbelievable, you are a dirty team who's manager and assistant set poor examples to their players.

Deal with it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Unbelievable, you are a dirty team who's manager and assistant set poor examples to their players.

Deal with it.

Quite amusing seeing as you can actually pretty much see PROOF above that by and large we are not a dirty team.

Name our "hardnut mental" players, why not?

Little Craig Noone?
Cheeky Craig Mackail Smith?

Hardly a bunch of cloggers, are we?

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
That is not, in any way shape or form, proof.

Maybe as a team Brighton commit an above average amount of fouls, but the fouls they commit are worse than others? To blame the opposition is ludicrous. You have a few cloggers in your team who make terrible tackles regularly (Dunk!) and you will get booked regularly as a result.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Maybe as a team Brighton commit an above average amount of fouls, but the fouls they commit are worse than others? To blame the opposition is ludicrous. You have a few cloggers in your team who make terrible tackles regularly (Dunk!) and you will get booked regularly as a result.

Hardly a "clear it!" clogger is he? He's a ball-playing centre back. You clearly have barely ever seen him play.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

Eh? So, statistics aren't proof, but wild, ill-informed claims are?

ok... ??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here