Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Disabled Parking, were you told it would be free?

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
Having been asked to re-assess their policy on charging for disabled parking spaces, I have today (Wednesday) formally been told by the club via email, that they will be charging £180 for all disabled car parking spaces, with no allowances.

I take issue with this, as myself and my carer, were told at our presentation, in no uncertain terms by the salesperson, that parking would be just outside (in the area we now know as Bennetts Field) and it would be free.

On this basis, I purchased four season tickets for my family.

Two weeks prior to the start of the season, it appears the club changed its mind, and decided to charge the prinicipal sum of £180 for the spaces, where ever they are, including the Sx Uni site.

I understand that the club is now saying that nobody was ever told that parking for disabled would be free.

Clearly, somebody is wrong!

I would like to hear from anybody, either on this thread or via PM, who were also told parking would be free.

Furthermore, if anybody has this in writing I would be especially glad to hear from you.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sales patter to get you to sign up ? The club will say its pure hearsay unless you recorded the conversation or have written proof. Lets hope someone has it in writing that the parking would be free for blue badge holders or fans with a disability.

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
It's ok Bods have been discussing it with the club and have an email from Martin Perry that cleary states that it would be free and now it's changed - all wrong in my opinion - bods have been fighting this and they(Ken brown Richard Hebbard Martin Perry) don't seem to listen. If something is said to many people at presentations that it will be free and Martin confirms it in an email then that is what should happen. I would be tempted to ask the club for an explanation as to why it has changed and they now want to charge £180.00. Maybe its the cost of the carpark being done but surely that hasn't cost that much. Perhaps if they explained to fans why instead of always ignoring a complaints then maybe they would understand. Through most of mine and my familys dealings with the club if you have a compliment you get a reply - if its a query that they can't answer or complaint you get ignored

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
Having been asked to re-assess their policy on charging for disabled parking spaces, I have today (Wednesday) formally been told by the club via email, that they will be charging £180 for all disabled car parking spaces, with no allowances.

I take issue with this, as myself and my carer, were told at our presentation, in no uncertain terms by the salesperson, that parking would be just outside (in the area we now know as Bennetts Field) and it would be free.

On this basis, I purchased four season tickets for my family.

Two weeks prior to the start of the season, it appears the club changed its mind, and decided to charge the prinicipal sum of £180 for the spaces, where ever they are, including the Sx Uni site.

I understand that the club is now saying that nobody was ever told that parking for disabled would be free.

Clearly, somebody is wrong!

I would like to hear from anybody, either on this thread or via PM, who were also told parking would be free.

Furthermore, if anybody has this in writing I would be especially glad to hear from you.

Most disabled fans that we have spoken to that have been to various presentations have been told it was free! I have also been told by different staff at the club that it would be free too!

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
Obviously if you were told it would be free & now chargable that is wrong... I as everyone obviously agrees parking should be next to the stadium for disabled guests,
HOWEVER why should disabled people have free parking??

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
Obviously if you were told it would be free & now chargable that is wrong... I as everyone obviously agrees parking should be next to the stadium for disabled guests,
HOWEVER why should disabled people have free parking??

Maybe not free but certainly not £180.00 when park and ride is £30.00. People that need a parking space are either in a wheelchair or have a mobility issue. This will normally involve the person concerned also being in a lot of pain and discomfort. ie some people cannot get wet or cold or effects their illnessess. These people don't choose to have difficulties and I feel that most able bodied Brighton fans wouldn't begrudge a fellow fan a parking space that was SAID to be free on many different occasions or even pay the same as park and ride. That way the club would SAVE FACE on what they said would be free and disabled would be paying same as park and ride at £30.00 and not being ripped off

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
Maybe not free but certainly not £180.00 when park and ride is £30.00. People that need a parking space are either in a wheelchair or have a mobility issue. This will normally involve the person concerned also being in a lot of pain and discomfort. ie some people cannot get wet or cold or effects their illnessess. These people don't choose to have difficulties and I feel that most able bodied Brighton fans wouldn't begrudge a fellow fan a parking space that was SAID to be free on many different occasions or even pay the same as park and ride. That way the club would SAVE FACE on what they said would be free and disabled would be paying same as park and ride at £30.00 and not being ripped off

You dont have to preach to me, my brother is disabled & i full understand the need to park close to the stadium.
If the club said it was going to be free then thats what is should be, like you said perhaps the park & ride £30 charge would be good.

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
You dont have to preach to me, my brother is disabled & i full understand the need to park close to the stadium.
If the club said it was going to be free then thats what is should be, like you said perhaps the park & ride £30 charge would be good.

I wasn't preaching please don't think that I just feel the way the club have handled this matter isn't good

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
The club in the form of Mr Perry and Mr Brown have said that they did the presentations, and that neither of them said that parking would be free!

First of all, neither P or B did my presentation, it was Hebbard and another chap. Secondly, it was their 'salespeople' that confirmed the parking facility, when explaining the various seating options.

In addition P & B do not deny the now legendary email, but they simply say "We changed our minds".

This really does beggar belief, but it appears that unless something is in writing with our 'new' club it means nothing. Even then, when it is in writing, it means nothing!

I cannot help but be reminded of all the marches, demos and campaigns we all did, just to be told now, "we have changed our minds".

Please give me your feedback on this, as I cannot believe that I was the only one told that parking would be just outside, and free.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think a petition should be started, get as many signatures as possible, use the email evidence, and get as much anecdotal comments too. Get thousands of signatures, and put them to the club. Demand a refund, or reduction to P&R prices.

Also, to all you wheelchair users, and other disabled people who are affected by this, organise a protest, get together and prior to a home match stake out the West Stand entrance where all the directors enter the stadium, present them with the petition, you’ll have many people like me joining you.

I know it’s not ideal, and I know we shouldn’t have to, but if it makes it happen then do it.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
I think a petition should be started, get as many signatures as possible, use the email evidence, and get as much anecdotal comments too. Get thousands of signatures, and put them to the club. Demand a refund, or reduction to P&R prices.

Also, to all you wheelchair users, and other disabled people who are affected by this, organise a protest, get together and prior to a home match stake out the West Stand entrance where all the directors enter the stadium, present them with the petition, you’ll have many people like me joining you.

I know it’s not ideal, and I know we shouldn’t have to, but if it makes it happen then do it.

The problem lies with the fact that the club is fully aware of the situation, especially because of the sterling work by Portlock Seagull, Herr Tubthumper & Tiny tears, but states that they have changed their mind, and they won't be changing it back.

In effect, like it or lump it.

From there the very people who need this facility, are generally not in the condition of health to instrument a protest or like.

Whilst it is admirable of the likes of yourself phil, and others quoted, to step forward, the sad fact, as shown at the fans forum, when the majority cheered Perry as he rounded on one questioner, is that whilst this issue may affect say 200 people, the majority of 20000 has the loudest voice.

They in turn call us a bunch of whingers. Nice!

Whilst accepting your suggestions as an option, we need to consider the positions of those amongst us, who are unable to stand up for themselves, particularly in the face of such aggression shown by our fellow supporters, and the dogged conduct of the club.

May I just remind everyone of the statement, "Falmer for all". This sounds rather hollow right now.

Bozza/Moderators: Is NSC is an appropiate vehicle to conduct such a potential petition?

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Parking for able bodied people isn't free so why should disabled parking be? But, if people were told it would be free then it's a poor show backtracking on that. I don't see why disabled parking spaces can't be bookable, first come first served.

black shadow

Jul 22, 2011
Hassocks
I think anybody affected by this situation needs to get in touch with Trading Standards - at the end of the day, if that email from the club clearly states the disabled parking would be free....and if people were being told at their presentations that disabled parking would be free (and beside the stadium), then you have all purchased your season tickets on that understanding, in other words you must feel that you were mis-led by incorrect information when making the decision to buy your tickets. Perhaps Trading Standards would take this up on your behalf.

We know somebody who (under protest) paid £180 for a disabled space, needed for his father who is blind and has extremely poor mobility. They've been allocated a space at the university and for the first match took over 25 minutes to walk from their space to the West stand. This isn't acceptable and can only get worse during our winter weather, infact it will probably mean that he won't be able to go.

As much as we love our club, they should be ashamed of how they have dealt with this situation and need to hold their hands up and sort it out! :angry:

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Parking for able bodied people isn't free so why should disabled parking be? But, if people were told it would be free then it's a poor show backtracking on that. I don't see why disabled parking spaces can't be bookable, first come first served.

Oh for heaven's sake.

Think, man!!

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
I think anybody affected by this situation needs to get in touch with Trading Standards - at the end of the day, if that email from the club clearly states the disabled parking would be free....and if people were being told at their presentations that disabled parking would be free (and beside the stadium), then you have all purchased your season tickets on that understanding, in other words you must feel that you were mis-led by incorrect information when making the decision to buy your tickets. Perhaps Trading Standards would take this up on your behalf.

We know somebody who (under protest) paid £180 for a disabled space, needed for his father who is blind and has extremely poor mobility. They've been allocated a space at the university and for the first match took over 25 minutes to walk from their space to the West stand. This isn't acceptable and can only get worse during our winter weather, infact it will probably mean that he won't be able to go.

As much as we love our club, they should be ashamed of how they have dealt with this situation and need to hold their hands up and sort it out! :angry:

The club won't justify why it has taken £360 for the 700 spaces 'just outside the stadium' whilst making disabled punters use the Sx Uni option.

It appears that 30 mins is the average time for disabled people to walk from the Uni to the ground, as the poster mentions in good weather!

Fundamentally, it seems that we were all told verbally the position, and nothing seems to exist in writing, but that becomes irrelevant when the club simply say " we have changed our minds".

Yes, I personally feel royally screwed, but with nothing in writing TS are powerless to do anything it seems. Unless I have that wrong?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Are all 4 of you in the car disabled? Surely if you have parking on site at an average of £7.50 per home game that is bloody good value. So what's the problem?

Personally I don't see why disabled people should get FREE parking, that would discrimnate against the able bodied who have to pay. Yes, I agree that disabled people should be guaranteed (as much as possible) parking ON SITE, but there is no compulsion to make it free as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here