Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dinner/Tea/Supper - The last main meal of the day

• Total voters

wizo7

Man Met Massive
Dec 17, 2008
Bolney
Allways dinner last meal of the day...my northern friends refer to dinner as their mid-day meal which annoys me for some reason.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Defintely Dinner. Tea is a mid-afternoon beverage, which may or may not be taken with a snackette if you fancy it. Supper is a late evening trip to the fridge to see what can be gleaned without doing anything to achieve it - this meal was invented for fatties and dope-heads.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Yeah, all the northern monkeys in our warrington office do that.

My old girl is from Warrington and she still calls it that - despite living down south for 60 years. And so do we when in her house.

It was always a great confusion for me - but now lunch is lunch - and dinner is dinner if it like a full meal - but tea if it not quite that. Which can confuse. We never have supper.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Bugger, I voted for 'Dinner' and of course I meant 'Tea', so knock one off dinner and add it to Tea. The three meals in the day are Breakfast, Dinner and Tea. Anyone who says something like Breakfast, Luncheon, High Tea, Dinner, Supper is an enemy of the people.

My wife, being a bit of a posh bird, disagrees. If we're going out for 'dinner' (i.e. in the evening) she hates it when I say "we're going out for our tea."

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
3 meals a day:
Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner

unless I get hungry after dinner in which case I have supper too

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I hate the word "supper". It irritates me for some reason.

Supper.

Stupid bloody word.

Evil Edna

Roll the dice!
Jul 15, 2007
Where poet's live.
Defintely Dinner. Tea is a mid-afternoon beverage, which may or may not be taken with a snackette if you fancy it. Supper is a late evening trip to the fridge to see what can be gleaned without doing anything to achieve it - this meal was invented for fatties and dope-heads.

I'd agree with this too.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I voted dinner with reservations as beans on toast may be the last meal of the day but is not dinner. Sit at the table and eat a proper meal and it's definitely dinner to me.

I had this argument with someone a while ago and I do believe the correct answer is actually supper if you do a bit of research but f*** it I've always called it dinner and I'm not switching to some very Northern sounding meal like supper or fecking High Tea as some call it up there.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It's dinner, although t'uther half is from up north and still insists on calling it 'Tea' which is very wrong.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Tea is a beverage, so its IDIOTIC to use this word to describe dinner.
Supper, as we have already established, is just a stupid pointless word.
Dinner is the ONLY word for late afternoon / evening meal.

A meal after dinner isn't "supper" - its BINGING for fatties.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Tea is a northern-ism, and a stupid one at that.

Imagine (one for you, chaps) going up to a lovely lady you'd had your eye on for ages and saying "Alreet there duck, I were wondrin' if you'd be up fer goin' aat for tea some time".

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Dinner , although this also descibes a midday meal on a Sunday. Up north , Dinner is called Tea , which confuses everyone at work when I tell them I am going on a tea break as they think I will be disappearing t'canteen for 30 minutes instead of 15.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Also up north you dont do washing up after meals , instead you do the pots.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here