Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

digital slr lenses? Question?

If I buy a new 28mm lens for a digital slr, is it a 28mm lens or in equivalent terms equal to an old 42mm lens, which is what I actually want.

I believe old 28mm lens designed for SLR's now equate to 42mm.

I am planning to get a Pentax K10 purely, because the camera will utilise old pentax fit lens.

Any good recommendations for shops selling lens?

LC

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Depends on the magnification ratio of the camera, many top end SLR didgi's these days have no magnification ratio and 28 mm would be 28 mm.

Look at the camera instructions and it should give you the camera's magnification ratio (depends on how much of the lens view the sensor actually sees) for 28 to 42 mm this would need a ratio of 1.5.

The mm depends on the lens mm x the ratio.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
I believe the Pentax K10 does have a ratio of 1.5, so the 28mm lens is effectively 42mm which is what you want :)

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Yes

NEW = WAREHOUSE EXPRESS (online) or ROBERT WHITE (Poole)

2nd HAND = MXV photographic, {Uckfield) or ROBERT WHITE (Poole)

All the above are reliable and reputable, I've used them many times

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Definitely Park Cameras - excellent price and service.

Nearly all DSLRs have a magnification factor due to the sensor being smaller than the dimensions of a 35mm negative.

The new "digital" lenses overcome this by using a different zoom range (18-55mm as opposed to 28-70mm).

One advantage of this, is that using a lens designed for 35 mm cameras means that you are only using the more central parts of the glass - leading to a higher quality image. Image quality falls off from rays focused from the edge of the glass.

thanks again, especially Robert White who are offering the K10 about £60 cheaper than Parks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here