Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Diet & Exercise! Is it worth it?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
For 3 weeks now i've been watching what I eat, going to the gym and using the train for work as often as I can so it involves a mile walk to the station. Is it worth it? is it hell! I hav'nt lost an ounce in weight and rather than feeling good I ache all over. I only started because I was told it would help my bad back by losing weight and getting fitter! Does anybody else struggle with getting fit & losing weight or has anybody got any tips on how to do it?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Did you consult your G/P practice first. It is worth a visit,you will get plenty of sound advice. You have a bike? If so use it. Try fast walking that really burns of fat. Gym work may not be what you need? Thirty mins of steady cycling will burn up around 250cals. It can be done.:albion:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
You have to keep at it.

Soon as I hear the old classic, "I must get back into it" I know I'm talking to someone who has never done any phys'.

I feel much better when I'm fit as I can be.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Leekbrookgull said:
Did you consult your G/P practice first. It is worth a visit,you will get plenty of sound advice. You have a bike? If so use it. Try fast walking that really burns of fat. Gym work may not be what you need? Thirty mins of steady cycling will burn up around 250cals. It can be done.:albion:

My G/P only gives me pills & sick certs but i've consulted a chiropractor and spoke to a physio. I have got a bike but it's a bit unusable at the moment, one of the little bulldogs borrowed it in the summer and now it's got no wheels, brakes or saddle! not sure i'll get far on it! I've been doing exercise bike, treadmill, cross trainer & rowing maching plus weight training in the gym but at the moment it's all to no avail.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
British Bulldog said:
For 3 weeks now i've been watching what I eat, going to the gym and using the train for work as often as I can so it involves a mile walk to the station. Is it worth it? is it hell! I hav'nt lost an ounce in weight and rather than feeling good I ache all over. I only started because I was told it would help my bad back by losing weight and getting fitter! Does anybody else struggle with getting fit & losing weight or has anybody got any tips on how to do it?

dont get fat in the first place

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Re: Re: Diet & Exercise! Is it worth it?

bristolseagull said:
dont get fat in the first place

Yeah but thats the fun bit!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
British Bulldog said:

Get your leg over more often fella.Make it last as well.Cut down on booze and watch the amount you eat.Eat food which is 5% or under in fat.No spreads or frying food.

Red meat just have once a week.Take skin of chicken

Last edited:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Try to get this book,it is packed with useful info (BBC) Fat Nation,The Big Challenge. Just stick to one or two fitness programmes. Really forget the gym. Read the labels on food.Feeling hungry ? Eat FRUIT & VEG. Bored,don't eat,doing something else it takes your mind away from FOOD. Remember 2500 is a mans average calorie need per day. One bag of crisps could be over 300cals.Try to eat pasta if you can,very feeling,low in cals.You can do so much with in meal design.:albion:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Re: Re: Diet & Exercise! Is it worth it?

algie said:
Get your leg over more often fella.Make it last as well.Cut down on booze and watch the amount you eat.Eat food which is 5% or under in fat.No spreads or frying food.

Red meat just have once a week.Take skin of chicken

The sex bit is a bit difficult, every time I open my gob I say the wrong thing to mrs bulldog & she puts me on a sex ban again! I've cut the booze down and been eating low fat foods, The muesli for breakfast is more of a chore than anything and i've cut out crisps & chocolate in favour of fresh fruit or little bags of dried fruit( although the prunes are starting to make me a little bit anti-social) I guess it's just a matter of time before that first pound is lost!

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
Dont forget that muscle is heavier than fat so if you're doing a lot of weights, you will not lose a lot in the short term but I believe the muscles will burn more energy in the long run.

Do more aerobic exercise at the gym (treadmill, cross-trainer, bike, rowing machine) and lower weights but more reps. Whatever you do, don't give up. Give yourself 3 months and hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
SussexHoop said:
Dont forget that muscle is heavier than fat so if you're doing a lot of weights, you will not lose a lot in the short term but I believe the muscles will burn more energy in the long run.

Do more aerobic exercise at the gym (treadmill, cross-trainer, bike, rowing machine) and lower weights but more reps. Whatever you do, don't give up. Give yourself 3 months and hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised.

My average session has been 10 mins each on the treadmill, bike, cross trainer & rowing machine, then 30 mins doing weights. I dont go heavy with the weights but do 10-12 reps on each set. I used to do a lot of gym work many years ago so i'm guessing the problems i'm having now is probably age related.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Keep going - I was 15.5 stone a year ago and since then have moderated my intake of junk food and done at least 1 hour of excecise a day (cycling, running, circuit training, badminton) and I lost 4 stone in four months.

Give or take the odd pound I've been 11.5 st for the last 8 months. The only down side being I had to replace my entire wardrobe as I went from a 36" waiste to 30".

As Mickey would say 'Keep the faith' !

larus

It's not just the time, it's also the effort you put in when doing cardio-vascular work.

For example, 10 minutes at a stroll ain't going to do you much real good. Whereas if you get off the treadmill and you feel absolutely f***ed, then you're doing OK mate.

I'm 43, and run 9k (5.6 miles approx) in just under 36 mins, but I've always enjoyed exercise. Weights have never been my thing, always veered towards the running/rowing/cycling exercise, although I do some weights to try to get some definition.

Try to find an aerobic exercise that you enjoy (or hate the least), then set yourself a target for each time and try to improve, no matter how small an amount, each time or each week.

Also, from a diet point of view, cut out fizzy drinks (including the 0 calorie ones), crisps, pies, fried food, etc, etc. The more healthy you eat, the better you will feel, the better you will look, both in physique and skin tone/complexion, and the more energy you will have. You'll also feel more content. It won't happen overnight, and you'll probably feel worse initially as you start to detox.

Stick with it Bulldog, it really is worth it in the long run.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I was 12.8 and am now 12.1 after plenty of cycling

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
larus said:
Is that chasing Ernest or being chased? :lolol:

Bit of both since you asked however he is not the most mobile person :lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
larus said:
Is that why he couldn't get down to kiss Dick Knights arse as he promised?

More than likely he would never have got up again !

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I am 41, swim a mile twice a week, also do a session in the gym (roughly an hour on the cross-trainer and cycle) plus some stretching exercises and light weights. Have to say that I feel pretty good on that level of exercise, though I intend to build in another gym session in the near future which will be a bit more intense aerobic session, might also add on a yoga class to balance things out a bit.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Cross trainer is ace.Tread mill is shit for me.Can't do it due to impact on my feet

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here