Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did you stand on my head, during the 197? Arsenal riot.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Arthritic Toe has reminded me to ask a similar question.

I was with my dad in the North West, the evening Arsenal ran riot in the North Stand, some time in the late 70's, aging me between 5-9.
Being of a tender age I was in my spot @ the front hanging onto the 'cattle' fencing, with a lovely view of the thuggery.
During the riot, plenty of people squeezed out onto the pitch, with nowhere to go.

So if you are the guy with dark trousers & heeled shoes, who quickly, & I might say, somewhat profesionally, scaled the fencing then used my head as a step down, before setting off, I'd like an apology :angry: :lolol: :angry:

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Stst Brother said:
Arthritic Toe has reminded me to ask a similar question.

I was with my dad in the North West, the evening Arsenal ran riot in the North Stand, some time in the late 70's, aging me between 5-9.
Being of a tender age I was in my spot @ the front hanging onto the 'cattle' fencing, with a lovely view of the thuggery.
During the riot, plenty of people squeezed out onto the pitch, with nowhere to go.

So if you are the guy with dark trousers & heeled shoes, who quickly, & I might say, somewhat profesionally, scaled the fencing then used my head as a step down, before setting off, I'd like an apology :angry: :lolol: :angry:

Arsenal...never...ever run riot. You may confusing them with Chelsea, West Ham or Millwall.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I was busily trying to dodge the flying boots and huge skinheads in the east terrace at the time, so it wasn't me!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Re: Re: Did you stand on my head, during the 197? Arsenal riot.

Perry Milkins said:
Arsenal...never...ever run riot. You may confusing them with Chelsea, West Ham or Millwall.

Oh yes they did!

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone else remember the announcer as the riot started "could the police outside the ground please come into the ground NOW" There was virtually no police presence inside the ground pr-ekick off

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Icy Gull said:
Anyone else remember the announcer as the riot started "could the police outside the ground please come into the ground NOW" There was virtually no police presence inside the ground pr-ekick off

That's really bizarre, as usual I have no recollection of the game, just the wave of Arsenal fans from East to West, & obviously the bloke standing on my head.

But now I do distinctly remember that announcement being said @ The Goldstone, & will quite happily accept it was @ that game.

Nice scrapbook, Wookie

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
There was trouble at that game. The Police were outside and the PA asked them for urgent assistance.

I was, fortunately for me, in my usual position on the South West terrace.

I think Arsenal felt they had to so something as Spurs had done something similar a couple of seasons earlier.

Have you got a scrapbook full of aggro at the Albion Wookie?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Re: Re: Did you stand on my head, during the 197? Arsenal riot.

Perry Milkins said:

Here is the Chelsea riot.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Arsenal had tried it before our first ever match in the old 1st Division (1979). However, they tried it when we were in their and took a kicking in the corner next to the pen. The one being talked about was in the League Cup a few weeks later. They had got there very early (before us) and apparently sneaked into the middle without scarfs and then kicked-off against the kids. Wankers! :nono:

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
3gulls said:
Arsenal had tried it before our first ever match in the old 1st Division (1979). However, they tried it when we were in their and took a kicking in the corner next to the pen. The one being talked about was in the League Cup a few weeks later. They had got there very early (before us) and apparently sneaked into the middle without scarfs and then kicked-off against the kids. Wankers! :nono:

I was at the 4-0 lose at Highbury in the second leg and Sulli raised his eyebrows as if to say "what can we do" when I shouted out to him to "keep going". Great banter with the players in those days, close to the pitch etc....

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
I was there and remember it well..............apparently they weren't just Arsenal.....West Ham, Chelsea and Millwall too......i remember hearing at the time that it all kicked off again on the trains back to London.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
bakesy said:
I was there and remember it well..............apparently they weren't just Arsenal.....West Ham, Chelsea and Millwall too......i remember hearing at the time that it all kicked off again on the trains back to London.

Sussex based Chelsea fans would sometimes come down for a bit of "fun" if they wern't playing. Can't quite picture a Chelsea, West Ham, Millwall, Arsenal love-in tho', certainly not on our account.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Bromley shrimp said:
Sussex based Chelsea fans would sometimes come down for a bit of "fun" if they wern't playing. Can't quite picture a Chelsea, West Ham, Millwall, Arsenal love-in tho', certainly not on our account.
It's only what i heard at the time...........may or may not be true..we will never know, unless we can speak to those that were involved.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Re: Re: Re: Did you stand on my head, during the 197? Arsenal riot.

The Wookiee said:
Oh yes they did!

I remember standing just inside the North Stand turnstiles and seeing big M-fkrs in City of Westminster work dungarees just strolling in past the old bill without a bye or leave, it was a few more than 100 I can tell, got smacked about by a big skinhead, then bobbed and weaved with many others and watched the rest from the south stand...... filthy cold and rainy night, bore draw too....... what a night.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Tottenham in 77-78 was probably the worst I remember. I was on the West Stand Terrace behind Mullers dugout and watched from afar as it all kicked off big time.

Whenever there was trouble the 'Yellow Helmets' (bike police) came in to sort it out. There was one copper with a big red beard who always seemed to get things sorted.

As for Chelsea, we used to stand on the North East terrace next to the visitors. We'd never left a game early but for some reason my Dad decided to leave a couple of minutes before the end which turned out to be a bloody good idea!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here