Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did You Ever Sit In The Old West Stand?

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Sat there three times. Once when with a mate we were given tickets for the directors box. That was during Mike Baileys time - my memory says it was a one nil win against Man U with Wardy on loan from Forest scoring but I'm also thinking that result was with Melia in charge during the cup final season. Like a few on here I was there for the last game against Donny - a friend at work (Sun Alliance in Horsham) knew a season ticket holder too ill to attend so I took his seat. And once I sat right at the back of the stand on a freezing day - don't remember anything about the game as I had my girlfriend with me who must have liked it because we've now been married for over 26 years.

I remember tiny wooden seats, the smell of cigarettes and cigars, not being able to see most of the rest of the stands from the back row and a lovely elderly couple who I sat next to for the Donny game who had been watching football at the Goldstone for 55 years - suspect they never made it to Falmer.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
West Stand standing with my Dad in the 80's then Right in the back seats once Mr Bellotti, Mr Archer with the help of Sussex Police had banned me during the protests for repeated pitch invasions! Ooooooooooooooooooooooops.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Once, as the mascot for the match vs man city in 1988 we were given free seats right at the back.

Was that the game where the ballboy (man actually) backheaded a ball into the West Stand to waste time and ended up getting the sack?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
West was too snobby for me.... mostly the chicken run and sometimes the south if I was really lucky. No one I knew went in the north and I rarely went after ı was 14.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Yep I can gladly say at some point or another I was in every part of the Goldstone, even in the away end on fans united day after turning up really late,we meet some Charlton fans on the train and hit the pub a bit to hard

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Sat in the older West Stand in the late 1950s for an "A" Team game (v West Ham "A"??) in the old Metropolitan League. From memory the stand was known as the "Rabbit Hutch".

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I only went in there once for the FA Cup game against Liverpool in 84. I moved to the south west terrace after that for a few games, then the north stand

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
For all my 25 years of visiting the Goldstone,having long spells of standing on the North & South Stand,even stood on the Chicken Run from time to time,and certainly sat in the Lego Stand on a few occasions,but i can only recall one occasion when i actually sat in the West Stand,Brighton Res v. Newhaven in the Sussex Senior Cup!

What about you?

Saw my first game vs Southend in 1987 in the west. Only visited it a couple of times afterwards sadly as spent the rest of my under 18 days in the south and over 18 in the north.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Once as mascot and once for a reserve game versus PALARSE.

Oh yeah, I did that once, a reserve game v Ipswich I think, a manager at my work was an FA Referee, he was reffing the game. He got us sitting in the directors box, we were sat behind Barry Lloyd. I think he enjoyed the advice we gave him for the forthcoming first team game the following Saturday. Ended up doing some hob nobbing with the players after the game too.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
You may be right, memory is fuzzy but I have to say I thought it was against Man City, Keith something?? :shrug:

Defo Man City and it was Keith Cuss.

As for the West seats, yes for a few games in the Bellotti exclusion zone era. :thumbsup:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Me and my brother went in there for the home game with Walsall in 76 and moaned that we had to sit at the south stand end when we wanted to be in the middle.

I think Ward and Mellor played that night. ???

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Went in there for quite a few reserve games and a couple of times when a mate got comps from Stuart Tuck. Normally was always in the North Stand at the Goldstone though.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
cpp1.jpgJust once in '97 for the Cardiff game.:bigwave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here