Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did You Ever Sit In The Old West Stand?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
October 1995. Wife had just had an opperation, and couldn't stand so we had to give the North Stand a swerve for a couple of games. We were at the Brizzul Rovers game, sitting in line with the 'D' of the south penalty box when this happened,

Sneaky George Parris - YouTube

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
Seats A2,3,4 for the whole of the eighties with my dad and brother - in all that time I think a1 was only ever sat in twice mainly as there was a bloody great girder blocking about a third of the pitch.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Used to go in the West Stand when I was a kid as a special treat sometimes. Didn't really enjoy it much because of all the old farts in there who used to give me dirty looks if I shouted out something. Much preferred our usual East Terrace spot or behind the South goal (before all the seats went in).

Later years the West was always opened up for all the reserve games, so went in there quite a bit.

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
I took my young daughter to the Infamous York game as I thought it was something that she should see. I assumed quite rightly that it would afford the best view and be the safest place to sit.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Once, but it rendered the game forgettable.
The fat knockerboys and snake-oil (used car) merchants mumbled about their latest dodgy deals, huffed ropey cigars and mulled over what Spurs were doing that week and who they saw in the Kings' Club or Bonsoir.
Rather stand anywhere but be with those bastards.

The feelings mutual. There was never talk of Spurs, these were Brighton Boys. Now, get back in yer box! :cool:

Bodular

Jul 9, 2012
My first two games was in the west and then asked my dad if we can go over there (north stand) for our next game, I'm now stuck in the west lower wishing I was over there again!!! West lower needs to liven up !!!

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
Had a season ticket there with my old man in the early/mid 80s. He had heart trouble and no longer wanted to stand (used to go to SE corner). Used to have Malcolm McDonald (had pub in Worthing at time) or Frank Worthington when he wasn't playing (plus various young ladies) sit next to us. It was a dump though!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The wife and me had season tickets there for about 10 years. One of my favourite memories was chasing Bellotti out of his seat soon after the start of a game.

For all my 25 years of visiting the Goldstone,having long spells of standing on the North & South Stand,even stood on the Chicken Run from time to time,and certainly sat in the Lego Stand on a few occasions,but i can only recall one occasion when i actually sat in the West Stand,Brighton Res v. Newhaven in the Sussex Senior Cup!

What about you?
Sat there for Lincoln at home(pitch protest)we joined them on the pitch from the west stand seats walking over tony millards press desk:ohmy:

Brighton V Lincoln. Goldstone Ground protest - YouTube

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Have been in every stand in the Goldstone ground, including the Lego stand. Last ever game against Donnie was in the West Stand

Zawn Kellys

Feb 14, 2012
Not once, but in over 20 years of watching the Albion at the Goldstone, i went in every other part of the ground. Started on a milk crate in the East, then north, then nth and sth terraces in front of the west and finished with Donny in the south. Don't think i ever went in that section of North-East where at one time the away fans went. Remember a Saints game where some their fans climbed the floodlight tower!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
We had season tickets there from 1988, in the back row. We've had them ever since, with just one break. In the summer of 1996 we couldn't stomach writing out a cheque to Archer and Stanley and bought match-by-match tickets in the North Stand.

We managed to get hold of my wife's seat after Doncaster and had it bolted to a wall at home. If you sit on it and look over to the left you can still see the North Stand and the weeds on the Chicken Run. Then Wardy comes into view, Paul Clarke smashes one in against Norwich, Terry Connor and Gerry Ryan unhinge Liverpool. It's the loveliest football view in the world and it's in our scullery.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Sat there for a reserve match, and for a cup match when I was match mascot. Started in the south stand when I first went. Then mostly stood in the south west bit when I'd go with my dad (he stayed in the south stand so it was easier and quicker to meet up afterwards). When I went with friends we stood in the north, except for one occasion when we went in the north east. For the last game of the season if you had a season ticket you had to trade it in or a proper ticket, but I left it late, and could only get one in the north west. Which meant I'd used every stand (except the away stand, though part of me thinks I might have stood there for an england b game - that could just be y mind playing tricks on me).

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

I only ever stood in front of it - by the tunnel on my milk crate - after the old South Stand burnt down. Aside from the football, the main entertainment seemed to be ripping the piss out of Mike Bamber's wife for the amount of make-up she wore when she emerged into the director's box at the start of each game.

Used to go in the West Stand Terrace about half way between the tunnel and the South Stand 1983 onwards, latterly liked East Stand terrace for the view (when dry) or North Stand at the back.

We invariably stood near to (or did they stand near to us?) a little guy who had a moustache and usually a camera with a very long lens, he was also very loud - "compete Albion, compete" being his usual shout. For this reason we nicknamed him "the librarian". Usually accompanying him was a burly well spoken guy who, early and late season, would invariably have been at the cricket at Hove until just before the football started and would return there afterwards. He offered views on everything under the sun to anyone within earshot and was therefore nicknamed by us "the man who knows everything about everything". Occasionally an elderly couple would be with them and once memorably, a rather strange chap who "air headed" every cross and shouted "face up Albion, face up" (I don't know what he meant either).

You could get in for £6 I think, Mars bar and programme from the newsagents by the traffic lights or the one opposite the ground that turned into an Indian. Parking in Neville Road, good night out and still change from a ten bob note, we used to live in a shoebox, etc, etc.

How about a thread for nicknames for you fellow fans?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
My dad got hold of a ticket from work,so I saw v Aldershot 2-0 in 1964-5.

I'm sure I went for a radio playback from Bedford FAC rep. in 65-66 which we lost 2-1. Is my memory wrong on this - not the result,but the event ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here