Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did you enjoy football more...

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
...before the internet?

I can't decide.

Part of me loves the banter and discussion on here but after a defeat it can become quite depressing and in some cases ridiculous. This coupled with the childish arguing between grown men (me included) with Palace fans means I look back and think about the time when The Argus and The Brighton Line (8049) were the only outlets for news with some fondness.

Rose tinted glasses perhaps but it all seemed easier then!!!!

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
It would probably cause more arguments with family and friends as you'll be getting stuff off your chest at them rather than on the net

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I enjoyed being shit a whole lot more than being brilliant. :down:

But I'm thoroughly delighted that I've had the chance to find out. :clap:

...before the internet?

I can't decide.

Part of me loves the banter and discussion on here but after a defeat it can become quite depressing and in some cases ridiculous. This coupled with the childish arguing between grown men (me included) with Palace fans means I look back and think about the time when The Argus and The Brighton Line (8049) were the only outlets for news with some fondness.

FOUND THE SEAGULL LINE WITH TONY MILLARD SPOILT FOOTBALL FOREVER FOR ME:rolleyes:

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
...before the internet?

I can't decide.

Not really......
I enjoy knowing instantly the goings on at my club. I enjoy the banter and I only ever react when I am called out so to speak, such as being referred to as a pikey **** etc etc. I myself get slightly fed up with a Palace poster on here who has an argument to suit every occasion BUT, and this is a big BUT at least he is consistent in his approach :lol:
The thing that really surprises me about this forum is the people who are so quick to think your whole season will be a disaster if you do not reach the playoffs, or Gus has f'ed things up with his selections etc etc. Maybe as a Palace fan im used to not getting my hopes up and therefore do not hold such high ambitions.
Either way the internet is pretty good if your a football supporter(apart from when you lose of course).

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Certainly getting to away games by train was a breeze, all you did was go to the station the day before (because it wasn't open early enough the next morning) and buy a small oblong piece of card. There was one price whenever you bought it and you could catch any bloody train you wanted to that day. Today you have to spend hours trawling though websites trying to find a fare you can afford which could involve purchasing several different tickets and then you know if something goes wrong and you miscalculate something you could end up £100's out of pocket because you are on the wrong train.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I remember once or twice, before the days of local radio or Ceefax, not hearing the football results at 5pm, my brother missing getting the Argus Pink and so not being able to find out the score until getting the Sunday papers.

You people today don't know you're born....

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I remember once or twice, before the days of local radio or Ceefax, not hearing the football results at 5pm, my brother missing getting the Argus Pink and so not being able to find out the score until getting the Sunday papers.

You people today don't know you're born....

Did you have no friends?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I once had a conversation with a gentleman on the train on the way to the Goldstone, just after Mullery left the first time, who was telling me about how he had been watching the Albion for years and knew all of the squad, so was therefore best placed to take over as manager. He even had a letter from the club acknowledging his application (no, it was not Mike Bailey!). He was utterly convinced that he was going to get the job despite his background as a bricklayer and member of Beech Hurst bowls club.

Think of the internet as a carriage full of people like him that need humouring and you won't go too far wrong.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yes I did have friends. I did say "once or twice", so it wasn't a regular occurrence, and would have been when I was lower end of senior school age, so probably wouldn't have been going out on a Saturday Night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here