Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did we get enough of a fee for Zamora?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
After this prem record this season I'm not sure we did!

1.5 with all those clauses just doesn't do him justice, not when you think of the revenue this club could have generated by keeping hold of him.. although maybe it was a case of selling him off a tad cheaply than see him leave on a free at the end of his contract. He must have been one of our highest earners.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Isn't hindsight wonderful?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If you compare it to what we got for Virgo and the very big gap in class between the two then we were definitely seen off :lolol:

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Icy Gull said:
If you compare it to what we got for Virgo and the very big gap in class between the two then we were definitely seen off :lolol:
sWINGS AND ROUNDABOUTS THOUGH, INNIT.

Aaaarrrgh.....capslock.:shootself

Robert Earnshaw cost WBA atleast twice as much, but yet had a worse record than Bobby. The only difference was he was playing for a country with no real options upfront.

RE is now playing in the Championship and Bobby in the Prem :shootself

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Kinky Gerbils said:
Earnshaw also scored more at Championship level.

Didnt Brighton turn down a 3 million bid from Everton and Boro?

We were fed that bullshit I seem to remember, never believed it though. It's on a par with the "nearly" signings of forwards we've made imo. More likely that we quoted that figure and they ran away???

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Kinky Gerbils said:
Im not sure it is.

Why would the board release information that would make them look like bad business people?

I think the market had collapsed a little, BZ wanted away and the alleged transfer speculation was proof of how hard we had tried to hang onto BZ to try and stay up that year. I could of course be remembering this wrong as BZ had a moan about DK overvaluing him to stop him getting away?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
We got the right money - cos when we needed to sell him that's what clubs were willing to offer.

Yes we could have sold him earlier - but can you imagine the uproar if he'd gone the previous year.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We were offered £3m by Everton after being promoted as Champions under Peter Taylor.

The following season the ITV Digital deal collapsed, which weakened the club's financial position.

BZ did well, with 14 goals in 35 games (of which a number were penalties) but not spectacularly so in his one season with us in the Champiponship, so the £1.5m offer from Spurs represented fair value at the time. His record of 0 goals in 16 games for Spurs was not impressive, and in his first three seasons with WHU his record was

5 goals in 17
7 goals in 34
6 goals in 34

This season is the first time he has been in double figures for 4 years.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
You got exactly what he was worth IMHO. He was unproven as a prem striker and was always going to be a squad player until he really made a breakthrough....usually by an injury to the no1 or 2 strikers at a club.
Unfortunately, he never got his chance and only scored one goal for spurs (league cup v west ham ironically).

When we signed him, i was absolutely ecstatic and he came to us as part of the deal that took Michael Carrick to spurs.

he scored a few for us in his first season but never really set the championship alight until the playoffs when he single handedly got the goals to give us promotion.

Even last season and in the first half of this season, he's not been at his best and some of the sitters he has missed were awful.

But his overall game has always been good....he'll constantly hastle defenders and chase non-causes and generally give the opponents some serious shit. Even at the start of the season, his goals were either flukes or tap in....i know, they all count but they were not going to win goal of the season.

So his transformation....under Curbishly ? has been something else and IMO, he should've won hammer of the year. You can never fault his commitment or his workrate and some of the goals he has scored lately have been worthy of goal of the season.

I hope he stays with us. Despite what you lot think, he has always been appreciated by a majority of west ham fans. There's always a few fans who will target a player for abuse....you get it at all teams including Brighton.
We've been called fickle and christ knows what but i only have to look at some of the posts on NSC to realise even the most loyal of supporters can get fed up at times.

So....i'd like to raise a glass for sir Bobby of zamora :drink: ...and long may he continue to wear the claret and blue of west ham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here