Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dicks Bar

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Never been in Dick's Bar - we are only in Brighton on match days and there has always been a queue so I guess they must be doing something right. Is it any good? What does it have to commend it?

Once you've got past the queue to get in it is generally quicker to get served. Some seating as well.

However with the excellent facilities in the new ESU this season we have decided to give Dick's a miss in future.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Never been in Dick's Bar - we are only in Brighton on match days and there has always been a queue so I guess they must be doing something right. Is it any good? What does it have to commend it?

If you have mates/family in different stands its the only place you can meet for a drink before the game (other than The Swan)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If you have mates/family in different stands its the only place you can meet for a drink before the game (other than The Swan)

Ah yes - hence the queues ???

Have to admit I'm very happy with the service in ESL - no queues and happy to sit in my seat with a pie and a coffee and just gaze around and soak up the atmosphere pre-match.

We were thinking about trying the east stand brasserie before the Cardiff game but went to Nandos instead. Maybe before the Sheffield game :lol:

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex

Yes but no good if you have kids!!! I know one family whose son travels down with the grand children and they can't all have a drink together as a family - madness!!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes but no good if you have kids!!! I know one family whose son travels down with the grand children and they can't all have a drink together as a family - madness!!!

Why cant they have a drink together in a concourse bar?

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Why cant they have a drink together in a concourse bar?
Because some are in the west stand upper I think and the son and grand child in 1901 east so you can't go in the concourses until after the match but because they travel a fair distance they want to get on their way home.

You can meet up with friend's on the concourse after the match but not before if you are in a different stand - sorry if this doesn't make sense!!! I know what I mean though lol x

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Shame they seem to have stopped the live bands after home games.

Certainly not as many people staying as a result, hopefully that will change in the near future.

'They' never really started with live bands.

There were a couple after the first couple of games, but that wasn't organised by the club. In fact, I don't think any of them have been.

Live bands have been the exception rather than the rule.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Because some are in the west stand upper I think and the son and grand child in 1901 east so you can't go in the concourses until after the match but because they travel a fair distance they want to get on their way home.

You can meet up with friend's on the concourse after the match but not before if you are in a different stand - sorry if this doesn't make sense!!! I know what I mean though lol x

Yeah that was what I meant, we are in South west, my brothers and mates in North, other mates in east, west lower and west upper. I sometimes meet some of them in the Hikers, but if they are getting the train its dumb to walk back to Coldean.

At least with the access between south and west lower I can meet people there now.

D

Deleted member 2719

Poor service in Dicks yesterday, got fed up waiting at the bar for my second and left.

I said last season i would stop going in Dicks but as i like a quick Cognac or two and they don't do shorts in the concours (which pisses me off somewhat) i have been drawn to drink with the lickers.

The club/Azure seem to be driving me towards the Swan on a regular basis.

Last edited by a moderator:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
An old boy and his grandson were up the Swan. Apparently turned away with the Steward saying that no kids are allowed in Dicks Bar.
I had my 2 boys with me and we go to the Swan anyway as its just better all round I reckon (decent hotdogs and beer) but, if I had wanted to take them in Dicks I'd be pretty pissed off if I was told I couldn't!!

JCL?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Poor service in Dicks yesterday, got fed up waiting at the bar for my second and left.

I said last season i would stop going in Dicks but as i like a quick Cognac or two and they don't do shorts in the concours (which pisses me off somewhat) i have been drawn to drink with the lickers.

The club/Azure seem to be driving towards the Swan on a regular basis.

I had same experience, had my second pint in East Upper easy peasy.:drink:

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
I excpected a band being the first Saturday home game and was disappointed.

Tbh i thought the general buzz post match was fairly disappointing.

upper East was quiet and emptied quickly, North was packed but very quiet, same for dick's.

I think everyone was a bit shell-shocked at how immensely good we were.

The games last season when buckley or Barnes score the winner in the last mins, the North was still singing for upto an hour after the game.

However, I'll take the result over the post match atmosphere every time of course :)

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
Although Dick's Bar is a nice place for a pre or post-game drink I find the service lacking. Yesterday they had problems with the Strongbow pump and the bar girl instead of serving someone else to reduce the queue just stood there smiling, rolling her eyes. The queue to the bar was 2/3 thick at 2:30 and there was another bar girl just clearing the bar area with a J-Cloth, guess that was her set job instead of serving customers... Bit different to the Hikers where you get served within seconds of getting to the bar!

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Do people need to drink so badly thet they would do that? what must the're home life be like. christ on a bike.

I know - sad - I remember seeing it at the crystal palace game and the two dads had gone in Dicks and left the kids of about 10 sat on the wall opposite - it was a night game and the police were just herding the scum up the ramp and I thought blimey I'd no longer leave mine out there on their own with that lot around than fly to the moon - but I guess everyone is different!

The club/Azure seem to be driving me towards the Swan on a regular basis.

The club/Azure could do worse than to learn a lesson from the Swan - wander OUT of the 1901 lounges - over the road and see how proper service is provided at sensible prices.

Queue on Saturday at the Swan was around 20 people in front of me when I arrived and I was served in around 5 mins. You can queue twice that time at the Amex with 2 people in front of you.

They are lucky there aren't lots of Swans nearby or a lot more people mught be spending their money elsewhere.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Shouldnt allow women or kids in any of the bars.....women should be at home doing the housework and kids either doing there homework or helping mum out.......

You uncaring BASTARD! Congratulations for completely ruining my Bank Holiday.

*Sob*

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath

In what way?!

Because I think Dicks Bar is bland and prefer to go to a proper pub. Or because I had kids with me. Or.......yours was a totally pointless post?

The last one I reckon

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
In what way?!

Because I think Dicks Bar is bland and prefer to go to a proper pub. Or because I had kids with me. Or.......yours was a totally pointless post?

The last one I reckon

I think he may have been on about the old guy and grandson for not knowing about the "no kids on matchdays" rule at Dick's

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here