Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick's Bar - 12 Midday - Saturday.

D

Deleted member 18477

1pm doesn't make sense, does it?

Open earlier and they'll start making money earlier.

Additionally the lunchtime live TV games tend to kick off earlier than 1. The August 6th game kicks off at 12:45 - why not let people in, get a drink and get settled if they want to watch the game?

agree with that! are they going to have sky sports 1 for the live lunchtime games in the concourse? as dicks bar may get very full and stop letting people in which will be a shitter!

ngood77

Aug 5, 2006
I don't disagree with you but does anybody know ? If they are allowed, then it will be a coke and a packet of cheese and onion for one happy lad I'm afraid !

i dont see why kids cant be let in, as its the parents that are spending the money anyway. So if you dont allow children, you alienate all parents!:facepalm:???

And if kids are on the mosaic which they are surely its not right to not let them see it. I know my son is dieing to see it!

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
i dont see why kids cant be let in, as its the parents that are spending the money anyway. So if you dont allow children, you alienate all parents!:facepalm:???

And if kids are on the mosaic which they are surely its not right to not let them see it. I know my son is dieing to see it!

It's a tough one, and you're always going to get fans who think kids should be welcomed whilst others think they should be banned completely. The problem, as already mentioned, is the very limited capacity and whilst we don't know for certain exactly how busy the place will get, it's a good bet that it's not going to be lacking in customers of a match day. If this is the case then there is no need to allow kids in just to appease the fans with family, because the fans without will be keeping the place easily in business.

Perhaps a trade off would be to allow kids before games and not after, or vice versa.

This could SERIOUSLY split opinions

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I seriously can't see kids not being allowed nomatter what anyone says.

(They won't be, will they?)

TKC

Jun 16, 2011
Surely that needs to change, why would you possibly open a bar at 1pm. Open at 11 like everyone else, or 12 at the latest.

I don't understand any of it. Why would you not want to make money?! On a match day, even if only 1% of fans wanted to stay on a drink/eat why not let them? Why not close at 10 or 11 at night?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Well with the club trying to make it family friendly, and it being the Community Stadium, it would not be a good start to stop kids from entering!???

Perhaps you are right, but similarly it might not be a good idea to frustrate fans by having precious limited spaces taken up by children who can't actually fully appreciate the place. After all it is primarily a place intended for the consumption of alcohol and if 25% of the patrons are children that's 25% less beer sold.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Perhaps you are right, but similarly it might not be a good idea to frustrate fans by having precious limited spaces taken up by children who can't actually fully appreciate the place. After all it is primarily a place intended for the consumption of alcohol and if 25% of the patrons are children that's 25% less beer sold.

Children drink soft drinks and eat food as well, you know.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Children drink soft drinks and eat food as well, you know.

This is true, and I dare say the mark up on soft drinks is greater than that on the beer, wine and spirits so pound for pound perhaps the club would be making MORE profit on the children. I'm just looking at it from the perspective of a bunch of lads queuing to get in for a few rounds of Harveys/Heineken/Babycham who might feel frustrated at being denied entry because a bunch of pre teens are nursing a few lemonades.

It doesn't have to be a problem, I'm just highlighting that it potentially could be. We're all obviously jumping to the (likely) conclusion that demand will outstrip capacity.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Children should definitely be allowed in for all the reasons stated above.

As for the opening hours, what the f***?

I was originally under the impression it would be open all day every day, breakfasts for students, a nice place for lunch and a pint etc. It almost sounds like they planned to have a staff canteen then someone said what about the supporters bar so this is what it is.

I thought it would be a highly visible, pub/cafe that attracted student trade in the week not something that has the look, feel and position of a private members club.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Agreed - thought it would be more like this. Though the thought of having "Dick's" written in neon lights that size across the front of the ground... well, Revenge might have been a lot quieter on weekends...

4_2.jpg

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't understand any of it. Why would you not want to make money?! On a match day, even if only 1% of fans wanted to stay on a drink/eat why not let them? Why not close at 10 or 11 at night?
If the capacity of Dick's is 200 that means it can only cope with about 1% of the fans!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It almost sounds like they planned to have a staff canteen then someone said what about the supporters bar so this is what it is.

If you read what Attila has posted in the past, this is exactly what happened.

In his interview with Harty, Hebbard said we didn't need a bar because the concourses were so high spec :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here