Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dicker was superb yesterday....

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
How long does he have to keep performing well before the "well, I must admit I'm not a big Gary Dicker fan but.." comments stop? Genuine question.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I thought Dicker was the only one in midfield who did anything yesterday. His passing was excellent and he was the only one really wanting the ball. Certainly second only to Bridge, who was as good as ever defensively, though his attacking was limited by for once coming up against a decent winger (Burke). Bridcutt was not at his usual best for me - still, this is just my opinion, so fine if other NSCers think differently. Hammond had an absolute mare until he went back to centre half and didn't have anything to do. I was hoping Gus would throw him up front to add a bit of height - this was a game where we could have done with Murray. What stood out with the midfield (apart from Dicker) was how they were getting ripped to bits by Jonathan Spector, who was no great shakes at West Ham, but seemed to have us in his pocket.

Dec 29, 2011
How long does he have to keep performing well before the "well, I must admit I'm not a big Gary Dicker fan but.." comments stop? Genuine question.

He was awful last season, has been better this season but anonymous in some of the earlier games. When he consistently (2 games in 3) plays good i'll be happy. That's not too much to ask IMO, it gives him so leeway for bad games.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I thought Dicker was the only one in midfield who did anything yesterday. His passing was excellent and he was the only one really wanting the ball. Certainly second only to Bridge, who was as good as ever defensively, though his attacking was limited by for once coming up against a decent winger (Burke). Bridcutt was not at his usual best for me - still, this is just my opinion, so fine if other NSCers think differently. Hammond had an absolute mare until he went back to centre half and didn't have anything to do. I was hoping Gus would throw him up front to add a bit of height - this was a game where we could have done with Murray. What stood out with the midfield (apart from Dicker) was how they were getting ripped to bits by Jonathan Spector, who was no great shakes at West Ham, but seemed to have us in his pocket.

Interesting you should mention West Ham.

I'm sure it's been mentioned on here already, but after the match yesterday, we were comparing it to the home West Ham match last season. They score a goal, then sit back while we try in vain to get past their two rows of parked buses.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

When he has at least a good run of games and not just the one like he did yesterday. Genuine answer.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
When he has at least a good run of games and not just the one like he did yesterday. Genuine answer.

IMO, He has played well in most games this season, people are just starting to notice.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that Dicker played very well yesterday apart from his poor corners. I cannot understand why we don't get Bridge to take the corners as being left footed the ones on the left would swing out to the penalty spot and the ones on the right into the keeper.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Bridge was head and shoulders man of the match yesterday. The very fact Dicker looked the second best stand out player on the park for us, speaks volumes. All very well passing the ball around neatly all evening, as he did. But if you waiting for the killer ball, from Dicker you may be waiting an awful long time. Hence the result.

That's not his job in our system though. He plays the penultimate ball that gets the likes of Buckley, LuaLua, fullbacks etc in a position to cut back or put in a decent cross. Which they were appalling at yesterday.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
That's not his job in our system though. He plays the penultimate ball that gets the likes of Buckley, LuaLua, fullbacks etc in a position to cut back or put in a decent cross. Which they were appalling at yesterday.

It's got to be someone's job in the midfield. Have said it a million times before, especially at home. Every team needs a Bridcutt, but you don't need, nor can you accommodate two off them. This is why we couldn't score last season, one of Crofts/ Orlandi/Vicente has to start, ok so none of them were available yesterday, so it should have been Lopez, or even Dobbie playing deeper and Barnes playing alone up front...Hey ho, top of the league, just a blip hopefully. Let's hope Poyet has learnt from last season, that one bad game does not mean the wheels have come off, we are top of the league, so there cant be much wrong, hence wholesale changes are NOT needed, just a little tweek here and there.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
As above, to my mind he HAS had a good run of games. It's also the reason why the type of comment that I highlighted is becoming such a regular thing on here.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
One of my favourite comments from Roar, a couple of weeks ago, which I think was levelled at KLL:-

'If he could do everything he wouldn't be playing for us'.

I've certainly used that a few times since.

Awww shucks Stattie, I think that was actually me!

No doubt I made a concerted effort to come out with even more drivel than usual afterwards - just to see myself right... :thumbsup:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
No he hasnt general consensus around our lot he is one long term injury or suspension away from never featuring again. He has been pedestrian and poor apart from yesterday.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
It doesn't matter if Dicker has a bad game he'll still be in the starting 11 as he's the only one who can play gus's way. Id like to see croft in for dicker.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Am I the only one who thought his corners were actually quite good?

Yes, I think you probably are. Why oh why did virtually every one of our corners end up being played high into the centre of the box for (the excellent) Curtis Davies or Jack Butland to snaffle up? I think the lack of variation & real quality in the final third was really disappointing yasterday. If ever there was a game that was crying out for a certain errant former Valencia star to come on & take it by the scruff, this was it imo.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
No sorry, league one fodder....... a few passes does not make you a top end championship central midfielder for gawd sake.... where was his movement, where was his aerial power, where was his incisive support for the forwards?.... oh I know.... it was left in L1 ... :banghead::banghead:

No one said he was a top end Championship player did they? & he's certainly not league 1 level either is he? Do you really think Gus would be playing him week in & week out if he was. But you obviously know best don't you fella. How's the weather in la la land by the way?

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
Yes, I think you probably are. Why oh why did virtually every one of our corners end up being played high into the centre of the box for (the excellent) Curtis Davies or Jack Butland to snaffle up? I think the lack of variation & real quality in the final third was really disappointing yasterday. If ever there was a game that was crying out for a certain errant former Valencia star to come on & take it by the scruff, this was it imo.

The first one was cleverly worked to Calderon who had a shot blocked. On others he put them in dangerous areas it's just we don't seem to have the desire to win the headers.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I thought he was ok and for me he looked better when Hammond dropped back as he got on the ball more. None of the team with the exception of Bridge and Bridcutt covered themselves in glory.

The goal was disappointing and I would question where Hammond, Dicker and Bridcutt were in terms of closing down the space. There are times when they seem to chase the ball rather than keep the shape and Dicker is the biggest culprit of the 3.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

And i'm sure we will see him when the contract is running down at the end of the season. Can't believe he played a lot of pre season, started in the nothing game against Swindon and nothing since.....crazy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here