Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knight Interview

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
I have listened to that interview now several times and i don't know what everyone else thinks but it dosen't all add up.

In that interview Dick said that he had spoken to the board and that going to the meeting he had no intention of sacking Micky. So from that statement we would all agree that Board and Dick have discussed situation and no sacking will take place.

Then Dick has meeting and as it progresses it becomes apparant that in the best interest of the club that Micky should go.

Now i thought at this club the whole board made decisions not just Dick Knight.

I can see two senarios that go on at this club

Either the board and Dick had a meeting and it was decided that Micky was too go (Which i would hope that the board as a whole discuss everything before decisions are made) so what Dick said in the interview was untrue about not sacking him

or

Dick just makes all decisions and then says the board agrees

My personal opinion is Dick went to the meeting having been told to sack Micky which he didn't want to do and when Harty questioned him he cleary got agitated

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What you should probably conclude from that is that although he is the public voice of the board he doesn't make all the decisions, whether they be the right ones or the wrong ones. If power bases exists they haven't exactly changed significantly since then.

You should therefore probably question your own beliefs about what actually happened last season. I think the reality is probably a lot more complex than you currently understand.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Or the board said "if micky takes this position he goes" or "if micky is willing to go my mutual consent we will pay him £X" and DK went into the meeting hoping Micky wouldn't take those positions.

or

DK went into the meeting, MA showed a lack of gratitude/respect for the support of DK at board level, or not as much as DK wanted, then DK phoned the board

Or any of a large number of combinations of ways that there could have been some communication with the board during the meeting.

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
I don't have too question my own beliefs from last season because I know what happened - Dick just contradicted himself and when Harty questioned it he got very agitated which he gets with fans sometimes when they don't say what he wants to hear

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
Or the board said "if micky takes this position he goes" or "if micky is willing to go my mutual consent we will pay him £X" and DK went into the meeting hoping Micky wouldn't take those positions.

or

DK went into the meeting, MA showed a lack of gratitude/respect for the support of DK at board level, or not as much as DK wanted, then DK phoned the board

Or any of a large number of combinations of ways that there could have been some communication with the board during the meeting.

Good point about the phone but surely he would have said that to stop all the questions form the fans

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I don't have too question my own beliefs from last season because I know what happened - Dick just contradicted himself and when Harty questioned it he got very agitated which he gets with fans sometimes when they don't say what he wants to hear

I'm not sure you're seeing what's going on is a little bit more complex than you currently understand.

You've already contradicted a lot of what you've said before but I'm not neccesarily saying you were 100% wrong all the time.

Think about it....

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
What you should probably conclude from that is that although he is the public voice of the board he doesn't make all the decisions, whether they be the right ones or the wrong ones. If power bases exists they haven't exactly changed significantly since then.

You should therefore probably question your own beliefs about what actually happened last season. I think the reality is probably a lot more complex than you currently understand.

C**t
Stop being reasonable and intelligent on this board.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I wouldn't be surprised that if Micky Adams DIDN'T say......."yes sir Mr.Knight"........."no sir Mr.Knight"....."of course you,re right Mr. Knight"..........then Mr. Knight would have taken his now, familiar stroppy attitude and said..."that's done it now Micky.....nobody questions me...on your bike!"

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What you should probably conclude from that is that although he is the public voice of the board he doesn't make all the decisions

Which is why this interview caused concern.

He went into the meeting with no intention of firing a man who had no intention of quitting, and it resulted in MA leaving by 'mutual consent'.

If DK doesn't make the decision, how can he reach mutual consent?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.

He went into the meeting with no intention of firing a man who had no intention of quitting, and it resulted in MA leaving by 'mutual consent'.

Are all Albion fans in the legal profession nowadays?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I have listened to that interview now several times and i don't know what everyone else thinks but it dosen't all add up.

In that interview Dick said that he had spoken to the board and that going to the meeting he had no intention of sacking Micky. So from that statement we would all agree that Board and Dick have discussed situation and no sacking will take place.

Then Dick has meeting and as it progresses it becomes apparant that in the best interest of the club that Micky should go.

Either the board and Dick had a meeting and it was decided that Micky was too go (Which i would hope that the board as a whole discuss everything before decisions are made) so what Dick said in the interview was untrue about not sacking him

or

My personal opinion is Dick went to the meeting having been told to sack Micky which he didn't want to do and when Harty questioned him he cleary got agitated

Or the more likely occurance, Adams decided that it was impossible for him to stay due to fan pressure and wanted to leave because he felt it was better the club. (so fans would reunite and cheer the team on, rather than because he didnt think he was up to it.)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Adams made it instead? therefore really no decision for Knight to make, be it with the board or on his own as some would believe.

Maybe as a courtesy to Adams, the board decided not to make it public that it was Adams choice.

Oct 25, 2003
if it became apparent to adams that he didn't have the backing of the board, as was probably coming across in the meeting, he may have left?

perfectly plausible

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
One possible scenario amongst very many:

Board meeting where DK persuades the board MA should stay. Board agrees subject to certain conditions. DK agrees and arranges to meet MA assuming MA will fall in line.

MA does not agree to work under the conditions imposed by the board. DK tries to persuade him having assumed he would. MA won't play ball so DK is put in a position where he has no option but to release MA. Rest of the meeting spent making sure that all parties save face and find a settlement that suits all parties.

Then we could consider what the conditions might have been. MA stays working under new Manager. MA stays but working with a decent coach. MA retained but £1/2m break clause relinquished. MA retained but contract length renegotiated. And so on.

So it is entirely possible that:

- DK went to the meeting wanting MA to stay
- The board (ncluding DK) agreed that given certain conditions MA would have to go
- A number of conditions to MA's contract were discussed but MA didn't agree.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

or

Or, alternatively, and even more likely - you are using this as yet another opportunity and stick to beat DK with. Give it up, nobody really gives a toss about your opinions, because they are so biased.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs

In that interview Dick said that he had spoken to the board and that going to the meeting he had no intention of sacking Micky.

Agreed. He does say that.

So from that statement we would all agree that Board and Dick have discussed situation and no sacking will take place.

How do you draw this conclusion?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here