Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Devils Dyke

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
DID YOU KNOW.....that its actually a dormant Volcano that is reported to be experiencing an upsurge in molten roack (lava) 3miles beneath the surface...meaning it might not be dormant anymore!

that is all :jester:

D

Deleted User X18H

Yeah yeah yeah the only Dyke that is going to explode is the one in my office out of curiosity

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
it was created in the ICE AGE - i have retained some school geogrpahy knowledge

Marc said:
DID YOU KNOW.....that its actually a dormant Volcano that is reported to be experiencing an upsurge in molten roack (lava) 3miles beneath the surface...meaning it might not be dormant anymore!

Source, nothing I can find anywhere suggests this is true.

However did you know that no volcano is ever extinct. All of them are only dormant and could, potentially, erupt again some time.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
If you go down far enough, isn't everywhere a volcano?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
it's all about plate tectonics innit

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
The Devil was angry at the conversion of Sussex, one of the last counties to be converted from Paganism, and especially at the way churches were being built in every Sussex village. So he decided to dig right through the South Downs, a range of hills along the south of Britain. He swore that he would dig all the way through the hills to let the sea flood Sussex in a single night and drown the new Christians. He started inland near the village of Poynings and dug furiously sending huge clods of earth everywhere. One became Chanctonbury hill, another Cissbury hill, another Rackham Hill and yet another Mount Caburn.

Towards midnight, the noise he was making disturbed an old woman, who looked out to see what was happening. When she realized what the Devil was doing, she lit a candle and set it on her windowsill, holding up a metal sieve in front of it to create a dimly glowing globe. The Devil could barely believe that the sun had already risen, but the old woman had woken her rooster who let out a loud crowing and Satan fled believing that the morning had already come. Some say, that as he fled out over the English Channel, a great lump of earth fell from his cloven hoof, and that became the Isle of Wight; others say that he bounded northwards into Surrey, where his heavy landing formed the hollow called the Devil's Punch Bowl.

FACT

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
The Boss said:
The Devil was angry at the conversion of Sussex, one of the last counties to be converted from Paganism, and especially at the way churches were being built in every Sussex village. So he decided to dig right through the South Downs, a range of hills along the south of Britain. He swore that he would dig all the way through the hills to let the sea flood Sussex in a single night and drown the new Christians. He started inland near the village of Poynings and dug furiously sending huge clods of earth everywhere. One became Chanctonbury hill, another Cissbury hill, another Rackham Hill and yet another Mount Caburn.

Towards midnight, the noise he was making disturbed an old woman, who looked out to see what was happening. When she realized what the Devil was doing, she lit a candle and set it on her windowsill, holding up a metal sieve in front of it to create a dimly glowing globe. The Devil could barely believe that the sun had already risen, but the old woman had woken her rooster who let out a loud crowing and Satan fled believing that the morning had already come. Some say, that as he fled out over the English Channel, a great lump of earth fell from his cloven hoof, and that became the Isle of Wight; others say that he bounded northwards into Surrey, where his heavy landing formed the hollow called the Devil's Punch Bowl.

FACT

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

i hope he comes back one day and finishes it

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
...then he did a big shit because he'd been drinking Devil's YAKULT, and that's what we now call CROYDON

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto
Re: Re: Devils Dyke

readingstockport said:
Source, nothing I can find anywhere suggests this is true.

However did you know that no volcano is ever extinct. All of them are only dormant and could, potentially, erupt again some time.

There is no fault line anywhere NEAR the UK anymore, so I'd guess (with my limited A-Level knowledge), that we're fairly safe.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Devils Dyke

Citrus said:
There is no fault line anywhere NEAR the UK anymore, so I'd guess (with my limited A-Level knowledge), that we're fairly safe.

the nearest one is iceland i believe

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Devil's Dyke is a V-Shaped valley on the South Downs Way in southern England, near Brighton & Hove formed by the waters of the receding ice at the end of the last ice age. It is a common misconception that the valley was formed by glacial action. The hills surrounding the valley offer views of the South Downs, The Weald, and – on a clear day – the Isle of Wight. It is the site of ramparts, all that remain of an iron age hillfort, and a pub.

Local folklore explains the valley as the work of the devil. The legend holds that the devil was digging a trench to the sea to flood Sussex. The digging disturbed an old woman who lit a candle, causing a rooster to crow, making the devil believe the morning was fast approaching. The devil then fled, leaving his trench uncompleted.

Another story holds that rather than digging to flood the county, he was simply in a huge goatlike form, intending to crush the surrounding area. He smelt the tang of salt water in the wind, and fearing his coat would get damp (for he is vain to the point of sin), he fled leaving nothing but a hoof-print, now known as Devil's Dyke.

Silly bugger :jester: Leaving his work unfinished? I wondered if he was way behind schedule - after a large fry up every morning; hourly tea breaks; fasicnating articles in the sun; and some wet weather to hamper the progress.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Re: Re: Re: Re: Devils Dyke

Scotty M said:
the nearest one is iceland i believe
What, the one on London Road? :dunce:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The Boss said:

Towards midnight, the noise he was making disturbed an old woman, who looked out to see what was happening. When she realized what the Devil was doing, she lit a candle and set it on her windowsill, holding up a metal sieve in front of it to create a dimly glowing globe. The Devil could barely believe that the sun had already risen, but the old woman had woken her rooster who let out a loud crowing and Satan fled believing that the morning had already come. Some say, that as he fled out over the English Channel, a great lump of earth fell from his cloven hoof, and that became the Isle of Wight; others say that he bounded northwards into Surrey and beyond, where he covered himself in fake tan and grew stoopid sun-in coloured hair before taking ownership of the most unholy club there is.

FACT

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Devils Dyke

Theatre of Trees said:
Is that the one in London Road or Blatchington Road, Hove?
Damn, damn :censored:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Man of Harveys said:
If you go down far enough, isn't everywhere a volcano?

This comment gets my vote:p :p :p

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Devils Dyke

Citrus said:

there are however Minor Fault Lines off the Sussex Coast, one of which runs directly into Shoreham.
I saw a great Documentary on the NGC all about it...fascinating stuff (to me anyway)

THURSDAY 10 AUGUST 4.00pm Quake Threat Uk

There is a hidden fault line as long as San Andreas close to some of northern Europe's most historic cities. Sometime soon, an earthquake will hit. Scientists predict what would happen...

Edward Scissorhands

Feb 20, 2005
Re: Re: Re: Re: Devils Dyke

Marc said:
there are however Minor Fault Lines off the Sussex Coast, one of which runs directly into Shoreham.
I saw a great Documentary on the NGC all about it...fascinating stuff (to me anyway)

THURSDAY 10 AUGUST 4.00pm Quake Threat Uk

There is a hidden fault line as long as San Andreas close to some of northern Europe's most historic cities. Sometime soon, an earthquake will hit. Scientists predict what would happen...

Perfect pre NSC match viewing.

What channel number is that on NTL?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here