Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Desperate computer help needed: Wireless connection problems.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
I really don't want to bore the board with another 'tecchy' thread, but I'm at my wits end with my new computer and wireless connection. I've had it since Monday and I still ain't got the bloody thing working! I've spent so much time trying to sort it out. In fact apart from work this week, it's all I've done with my life!!!
So as you can imagine, any help would be very very welcomed. I understand that not everyone on here will be able to help. But even if there are just a few computer whizz-kids on here, that's brilliant!
The problem I have is as follows....

I've just got a new PC, running Vista and I'm having trouble getting connection to the web. I'm using a Netgear wireless adaptor in a USB port to connect to our wireless router downstairs. Basically on the network map for my new PC it tells me that the PC is connected to the Speedtouch router downstairs. Also it tells me that the Speedtouch router is connected to the 'gateway'.
But then it shows that there is no connection from the gateway to the internet, which is obviously the final stage of a network map. However, when I click the red cross on that part of the network map, it tells me that 'Windows did not find any problems with this computers network connection'.
What is a gateway? And what would stop it from connecting to the net?
Also if I try and bring up an internet explorer window and diagnose the problem, it says 'Windows cannot find the host name "go.microsoft.com" using DNS'.

I hope thats enough info? I really need help with this one if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks guys.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
:lolol:

Funny enough, even the 'troubleshooting' section of the user manual suggests that I do this! I have done, and it doesn't work!

I'm afraid my technical knowledge is now exhausted then.
MYOB will sort you out :thumbsup:

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
If you connect the computer directly to the router by cable are you able to access the Internet then?

I haven't tried that yet, because my computer is upstairs and therefore a long way away from the router. But we've had the router for a long time it's plugged directly into the home computer downstairs, and my sister uses it for wireless internet without problems.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Click Start -> Run

Type CMD (hit enter)

A black screen should appear.

once it does

Type Ipconfig

This should show you a list of IP addresses.

Once of which is probably something like 192.168.1.2

If it is, you're connected to your router via the wireless. If it isn't, there's still a problem between PC and router. If it is, reboot the router as the problem may be between it and the internet.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I had a similiar problem with a netgear usb connector. Solved the problem when I realised the laptop had its own inbuilt wireless connection. Once I had found how to switch this on (mind you that's another story) everything worked OK. So might be worth discarding the netgear usb connector. I do sympathise. It took me a full week to get it going.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Could it be anything to do with the fact that I'm running Vista on my new computer? It's the first time I've ever used it, you see...

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
I do sympathise. It took me a full week to get it going.

Thanks very much for the advice. I'll have a look when I get in tonight. However I think I had a look when I bought it, and it said it didn't have Wi-Fi built in.
By the way. I think I'm on course to match your 'full week', and maybe beat it! Not that it's anything for me to smile about. :(

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Could it be anything to do with the fact that I'm running Vista on my new computer? It's the first time I've ever used it, you see...

I'd never seen Vista before I bought my daughter a laptop, and had no problems linking it to the router, so I doubt it's that.

Does your sister use Vista?

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Have you switched the router off for half an hour, and rebooted the computer?

I work for a broadband company it's been a really slow week, but today we've had loads of problems from customers about their broadband not working and that has sorted out most of them.

Edit: Just read your first post and you said since Monday... my advice is useless. :down:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here