Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

derelict land by brighton station

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
they seem to be finally demolishing/clearing the site :((
i for one am truly gutted, I was planning to try and cross the abandoned bridge(you know, the iron one by vantage point).
its been derelict since the '60s, the moment I take an interest they start wanted to demolish it
anyone know where I'm talking about. Also, I hope they dont demolish the house with the bridge going into it which you see going up the ramp into brighton station carpark
I ask you, what is a city without its derelict wastelands?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I know the bridge you mean. I didn't think they were demolishing it? I thought it was going to be part of the regeneration and turned into a pedestrian walkway across the A270.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
i didnt think they would, i just wanted to cross it while it is still abandoned:(
brovian, are they starting work then? cos it looks like there is a lot of activity going on there

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
wouldnt it be great to have a footie stadium there bang in middle of town like newcastle or sunderland .. i know its only a dream and yes it would Fcuk up the traffic big time (though it already is ),but still would be good .. dream on :rolleyes:

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
f*** up what traffic big time? Brighton's traffic is already f***ed up big time so it would have little or no effect. (This from someone who only visits so does not know fully the ways of Brighton traffic but it always looks pretty f***ed up too me.)

Unfortunately I feel the station site would be impractical, simply because non-rail access would be a nightmare. And the area is very residential. Central brighton is overflowing with cars on saturdays as it is.

And anyway they are building an effing Sainsbury's there now anyway.

As I only live round the corner, I wouldn't have minded it being there, would have been very handy.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
bigc said:
brovian, are they starting work then? cos it looks like there is a lot of activity going on there
Dunno mate. I think the Anti-humans (Green Party) are still objecting. I don't know, they moan about out-of-town superstores and so Sainsbury offer to build one in the town centre - and they moan about that. There's no pleasing some people.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
they are clearing the area though.
which is a shame, it was an abandoned paradise:(

lol

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Newcastle want to move their stadium to the outside of town. On the moors which are protected like the South Downs.

Apparently hemmed in by the sea and the moors they have not got enough room in the city itself. Sounds familiar?

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
dont worry bigc, there's now loads of deralict land down west street now where theyve run out of money to build anything decent!

Brovian said:
Dunno mate. I think the Anti-humans (Green Party) are still objecting. I don't know, they moan about out-of-town superstores and so Sainsbury offer to build one in the town centre - and they moan about that. There's no pleasing some people.

I am afraid the deal on the railway site is signed sealed and delivered. there is nothing wrong in being opposed to the supermarket though. It's completely unneccessary for the station site as all the major supermarkets are well represented in brighton and hove, with huge superstores all over the place. Whereas the seven dials and north laine are one of the last bastions of small and independent retailing left in the city, and could be at risk from a new development.

Also the 'green' lobby came up with several constructive plans for the site, it was just that Sainsbury's wouldn't let up and their money spoke in the end.

Allowing the supermarket there still rankles with me.

Apologies for the rant, it is now over.

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Perseus Think Newcastle have given up on that now and are staying put

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
ben andrews girlfriend said:
dont worry bigc, there's now loads of deralict land down west street now where theyve run out of money to build anything decent!

i guess, but i really wanted to cross the bridge:(

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Ditchy: that might explain why the local papers in Newcastle did not feature the Albion's search for a stadium.

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
That may well be the case ..more interested in craig bellamy's knee

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Row Z Creased Shirt said:
I am afraid the deal on the railway site is signed sealed and delivered. there is nothing wrong in being opposed to the supermarket though. It's completely unneccessary for the station site as all the major supermarkets are well represented in brighton and hove, with huge superstores all over the place. Whereas the seven dials and north laine are one of the last bastions of small and independent retailing left in the city, and could be at risk from a new development.

Also the 'green' lobby came up with several constructive plans for the site, it was just that Sainsbury's wouldn't let up and their money spoke in the end.

Apologies for the rant, it is now over.

You talk a lot of sense. How the council ever approved the station site for a supermarket is beyond me. It's the one sof the biggest brownfield sites in Brighton and would have made a superb location for the stadium. I fear it's been given to Sainsbury's partly because the council have been operating without a local plan for the best part of a decade. Not very sensible when you're trying to become a modern city. If it all goes tits up and we don't get Falmer, then there are going to have to be some hard questions asked. But now is not the time.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
... Whereas the seven dials and north laine are one of the last bastions of small and independent retailing left in the city, and could be at risk from a new development.

Apologies for the rant, it is now over. [/B]

No need to apologise, we've all got different opinions. Actually I think the biggest threat to the small independant shops (which are a major part of Brighton's bohemian charm) isn't the prospect of a large grocery store next to Brighton station but the freeholders of the properties in the North Laine / Seven Dials area. Too often when leases expire the freeholder puts it up by a ridiculous amount thus forcing them out of business. I've known two people with premises in the North Laine area who had to stop trading because of rent increases.

For my own part I'm sick of seeing all these sites sit empty in Brighton for DECADES because no one can come up with the perfect schemes to please all people. I don't think the planned development is perfect by any means but idea after idea after idea has been floated and rejected so I'm just pleased something is happening. Ditto the site by the Prince Regent swimming pool and the old Endevour site.

Also I HATE the Green Party, so anything they oppose I'm in favor of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here