Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Defender Crisis? What crisis?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Most people, myself included, were worried about how Dunk would step up to the plate and were looking for a new center back signing at the start of the season. Dunk has been a revelation and after Steve Cook's full debut tonight I don't think we need worry too much.

Cook looked very assured and comfortable on the ball. I'm was particularly impressed with his positioning as well although I think a lot of that is down to Greer. He was facing up against Bellamy and Suarez and he didn't disappoint.

Our youth system is doing a tremendous job at the moment. After the way Cook played tonight I wouldn't be too concerned if we had to play Dunk and Cook together at some point this season. Although that being said I don't think we can underestimate the influence Greer has on our team as a whole. A true captain and a bloody winner.

Exciting times!

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
Couldnt agree more...was going to put something similar here, but youve done it for me. Thought Cook was amazing really, but your right about Captain Greer...immense . And our play starts with him...i reckon he has more of the ball than anyone on the pitch !

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
The only negative about his performance is that he drifted towards Greer a lot, and there were multiple times when they both were challenging for the same ball. Other than that, good on the lad!

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
I thought it says an enormous amount about how far Dunk has come that he was rested tonight, it wasn't long ago that he only got to play in cup games to rest someone else!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Can I put a word in for Vincelot - thought he had an excellent game with tackling, cover and distribution to match and possibly surpass Painter. I think he will be back on the bench on Friday but I wouldn't be at all concerned if he did get the nod.

D

Deleted member 18477

Cook - take a bow son!

Yes Greer probably helped him a tad but he certainly didn't hold his hand. Cook should be very proud tonight and as already said it shows our depth now in an area we all thought we may be short for cover in. Elphick and el abd will have to be very good to even get back on the bench!

And as for vincelot - well played! Dirk kuyt is a handful and a half. He never stops and neither did vincelot. He has an engine thats for sure!

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The youth system does seem to produce a lot of good central defenders.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Those who were shouting for a CB during the transfer window were told that Cook had a good pre-season especially in Portugal. Now you have been able to see for yourself. It's great that we have good youngsters of our own.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
From what I've seen, Grant Hall is equally good.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
thought vincelot gt dragged over to the other side of the pitch re the 2nd goal...othr thn that thought he was excellent again...given his versatility he may end up being the best preseason buy

Oct 25, 2003
bellamy and suarez are TOP QUALITY strikers who often make premiership defenders look poor......cook, considering his lack of first team match action looked very comfortable against them

the first goal was just excellent work from the two of them, the second was a counter attack

basically i don't think we have anything to worry about in that department......especially considering we STILL have el-abd and elphick to come back

big respect to gus for having the guts to throw cook in at the deep end like that

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
big respect to gus for having the guts to throw cook in at the deep end like that

I agree. I didn't think he would risk Dunk getting a booking (to Gus the three points against Leeds are as important as the ones against Palarse). But I didn't think of giving Cook a run so that if he does need to play at some stage soon, it won't be the first time he has lined up along-side Greer in that position. Very smart thinking.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Was a bit concerned when team news came out, although I'm pleased Dunk was rested given the next two games. Concern was unfounded though, he had a storming game, really impressed.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Having seen him in Portugal I had no worries about Cook and he lived up to my expectation. I think that the thoughts of Gus were that Dunk would probably have got a yellow card against the speed of Saurez and Bellamy and miss Leeds but he stands some chance of getting through the Leeds game without a yellow and could thus play both. Ideally he will get booked against Palace and miss Ipswich away and thus get it out of the way and start again. With his added, although limited experience, they may not come so quick and easy.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Was a bit concerned when team news came out, although I'm pleased Dunk was rested given the next two games. Concern was unfounded though, he had a storming game, really impressed.

couldn't agree more, my first reaction was 'where's Dunks'. No need to worry Cook was impressive, debut against Liverpool, young player couldn't ask for better (apart from a win!!!)

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Agree with all of the above. Cook did excellently given the task with which he was charged. Greer was immense as always, he is twice the player he was last year, captain fantastic indeed. As for Vincelot, how on earth he ended up playing at Dagenham is a mystery, a superb hard working performance from a highly valuable team player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here