Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Debut players who you knew you would be CLASS

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
following on from all these old school player threads, which player did you see make his professional debut, or debut for the albion, which made you think he would be a class act in a few years time - even if they are now rotting away in non league!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
for me, albion wise, ben andrews had a pretty good debut away at cardiff in 97-98 until he got sent off

anything i had seen, or probably will see, was totally eclipsed by the carling cup third round match of 2003-2004. rotherham took on arsenal, and a 16 year old cesc fabregas ran the arsenal midfield on his debut. even at that age, his range of passing, his work rate, his flair, his sheer ability was something to behold, and with about 4000 other miller fans, we left highbury after a penalty shoot out defeat - in which mike pollitt was sent off - knowing we had seen somone special in action

fabregas_300.jpg

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I am pretty sure that I saw the debut for Liverpool of Steve McMenamin, in a friendly away to Beyer Leverkausen, even the scousers in our group had never heard of him...we just assumed that they had spelt Steve McMahon incorrectly when the names went up on the electronic scoreboard...the lad was a bit good.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Wardy. We'd never even heard of him before the game and then scored within a minute of his debut.

I wonder how many people who saw Beckham's debut thought "there's a future superstar" - I know I didn't.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ignoring the fact that it wasn't a competitive game, and probably not his debut either, Spurs played a pre-season friendly at the Goldstone, and they included a young CB by the name of Sol Campbell, who had yet to make his debut in the first team. He completely bossed the whole game, and I can remember thinking he looked like a bloody GIANT. The program said he was only 17 and I remember it being discussed that it must be a typo.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ignoring the fact that it wasn't a competitive game, and probably not his debut either, Spurs played a pre-season friendly at the Goldstone, and they included a young CB by the name of Sol Campbell, who had yet to make his debut in the first team. He completely bossed the whole game, and I can remember thinking he looked like a bloody GIANT. The program said he was only 17 and I remember it being discussed that it must be a typo.

I remember that clearly, he had Nogan in his pocket and although Nogan was extremely pacy, Sol beat him to every ball. A real eyecatching performance to allay my disappointment that a game that had been built up as Klinsman's debut was not.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Fowler when he made his scoring debut against Fulham and followed it up with 5 goals in the second leg! :eek: Another player that was wasted by the England setup.

I have to disagree with the comment that he was wasted by the England set up. It was more a case of Fowler coming through at a time where there was a better striker than him (Shearer) and the fact that the Shearer / Sheringham partnership worked so well. He was then unfortunate that after that Owen came through, who again was a better player and that Fowler was suffering a number of ankle injuries that took a lot out of him.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
frankie lampard scoring ith an overhead kick for swansea at the goldstone when he was 17

saw mcmanaman play for a liverpool team when he was 16 at saltash's ground in a match against everton

Sep 20, 2005
I have bored countless people with my own version of this tale. I was on the North Stand open-mouthed at how commanding and brilliant Campbell was. I was phoning people the next day telling them about this amazing centre-half that Spurs had in the side. "He'll play for England one day, he's unbelievable." I said. Just about the only time I've been right in that type of situation.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Harding. However he came on at LW. First touch was a take down from 40 yards on the byline. Fantastic touch and done it again about 5 mins later.

scarfer1

Jun 1, 2004
London
December 18th 1999 is a date etched in my memory. It's the moment that McPhee first took to the field for BHAFC - awesome

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here