Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Death Penalty

Should Britain re-introduce the death penalty?

• Yes

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • No

Votes: 73 72.3%

• Total voters

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i am partaking in a debate on thursday about whether or not the death penalty should be bought back, so i thought it would be a good idea to engage the opinion of the well informed on nsc

so if you please - yes or no, and any reasons as to why you feel that way

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
deterrent as at the moment there is none in this country, take Ian Huntley and shoot the fucker I will put myself forward to rid the earth of child molesting scum

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Yes, for certain offences.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Absolutely not. There is a reason why most decent countries (I obviously don't include America) don't have the death penalty. It is proven to not act as a deterrent (does anyone really think that Ian Huntly would have been stopped by the death penalty). America has one of the highest crime rates in the world despite most states having the death penalty. The argument about cost that some people put up is also ridiculous as America holds people for years and it is more expensive than prison.

Finally, and the one argument that makes everything irrelevant, if you execute 1,000 people and one is innocent (which is probably a lower number than average) then that makes the death penalty wrong! Or are you people who say yes happy for innocent people to die.

The death penalty is government commissioned murder and the idea that people want it back in this country is, frankly, sickening.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Could do with a fence option here. But clearly, it depends on the offence and the criminal.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The argument against is that of possiblemistakes but with modern technology and DNA etc that is less likely.

I do not believe that is should be based on certain offences as a life taken is a life taken irrespective of circumstances. Also IMHO as soon as the death penalty is given an automatic appeal should be lodged against the sentence in order to give 3 law lords the opportunity to study the case and be as certain as can be that the decision is correct.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Absolutely not. There is a reason why most decent countries (I obviously don't include America) don't have the death penalty. It is proven to not act as a deterrent (does anyone really think that Ian Huntly would have been stopped by the death penalty). America has one of the highest crime rates in the world despite most states having the death penalty. The argument about cost that some people put up is also ridiculous as America holds people for years and it is more expensive than prison.

Finally, and the one argument that makes everything irrelevant, if you execute 1,000 people and one is innocent (which is probably a lower number than average) then that makes the death penalty wrong! Or are you people who say yes happy for innocent people to die.

The death penalty is government commissioned murder and the idea that people want it back in this country is, frankly, sickening.

have you got kids as have and i know if some **** molested or killed them i would want to see them fry! :censored::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
deterrent as at the moment there is none in this country, take Ian Huntley and shoot the fucker I will put myself forward to rid the earth of child molesting scum

it is no deterrent. isn't it in america that the average murder rate per 100k population is 5.9 in a death penalty state and only 4.1 in a non dp state?

i grew up in egypt and saw a man hang. nope. no death penalty for me. i have a factory in america (in a dp state that has a murder ratio of 6.4/100,000. we here in england are obviously a non dp country and the rate is something like 2.03/100,000 people) and would love to live there for a while but so long as they lawfully murder one another it won't happen.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

What a hero you are.

Maybe bring in 30 lashes for persistent standers in H block while you're at it, that'll learn'em.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
No I am looking at it from a rational point of view. What if that person who "fried" turned out to be innocent, would it be okay if you took your rage out on them.

mmm did i say fry everyone who broke certain laws NO. BUT if certain laws are broken and there is undoubtable evidence i.e. dna or cctv etc then yes i think that certain crimes should be punishable by death and yes i am being rational too

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
No way, by killing people who have committed a crime, the state becomes just a bad as the criminal. The state should not have the power to say who lives and who dies.
Japan recently killed 3 prisoners, i knew they had the death penalty, but didn't realise they used it very often, was very shocked.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
There's gunna be a mash-up on this thread

MOG

Miserable Old Git
Dec 16, 2007
Off My Trolley.
No, the death penalty should not return.
Having said that, I do believe that those imprisioned for serious offences should not be segregated from the general prison population. Let them serve their time with the others and not be rewarded, as they seem to be now, for their crimes.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
we here in england are obviously a non dp country and the rate is something like 2.03/100,000 people) and would love to live there for a while but so long as they lawfully murder one another it won't happen.

we have a low rate becuase of or gun laws unlike America that is the main reason

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here