Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dear Gus Poyet, Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion FC.

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
Before I make the journey up to Manchester, I'd just like to say a massive thankyou for producing the football we're watching right now. It's better than anything most of us have ever witnessed before. I've never felt so excited about what's to come and it's all intwine with who's running the team right now. Thankyou.

The FA Cup is a luxury for this club and luxurys can tend to spoil. One big game really isn't worth a whole season, I'm sure Leeds can tell you that. Still in league 1 when this amazing knew stadium draws open would be a bloody nightmare looking at where we stand right now. I think you've every right under the sun to play who you want Gus. Even if you put Bennett in goal and Ankergren on the wing, I'd still have faith in you (don't though). Of course it be nice to beat Pompy and get another piss easy team in the following round resulting in then knocking out one of the giants in the 5th round with every chance of winning the next, but then before you know it you've forgotten all about the league and the importance of winning games against the likes of Exeter and Southampton. Focus becomes one dimensional. Getting selected for the big match rather than playing as a team will be the piority.
Extra pressure on players, Clogged up fixture list with the looks of this coming winter, A lack of depth in the current squad and a filthy tackle from some semi-profesional nutcase, are all worries Gus will have to consider when playing in FA cup.

I still can't believe where we are in the league, it's great to see that even through our bad patch we've still maintained poll position and yet can still afford to drop 4 points.

The Cup run or the Title?

What a way to leave the Withdean if it be with fond memories. 3 titles and a playoff final victory isn't bad for a homeless shelter. I would like to think the beginnings of 'The Albions glory days' began at the Withdean, just so we all remember the poor old sodding place. The Cup can wait I'm afraid and I'm sure Gus thinks the same.

Last edited:

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
I love the cup.

Usually.

This year is special though, and I culdn't care less about it. I really REALLY want to go to Falmer as a 2nd flight team.

I know it shouldn't necessarily affect our league form but, this year they're just getting in the way for me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Everybody that I speak to seem to be of a similar opinion as me i.e that we all want promotion and are not concerned about the cup, a competition we wont win but feel that when we do get knocked out of the cup it is with having put up a fight rather than just surrender and offer nothing. Winning breeds a certain mentality which we had prior to Woking but through changing the sides excessivily for that tie we have lost this mentality and a stomping win in the cup may be bring it back. Had we converted our chances on Saturday and had a resounding win like 6 or 7 - 1. as it should have been with the chances we created, it may have set us back on the road. So dont lets berate the cup but use it to get back to winning ways in the league. Perhaps the reception received Saturday will push the players to do better agaiinst Colchester and then a win in Manchester will set them up for a good performance against Huddersfield.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
If Gus plays the reserves in the Manchester replay, as he has stated he will, I can see no reason why we should continue to receive exemption from the qualifying rounds of The F.A. Cup, since we will be fielding a team of non-league strength.

Before I make the journey up to Manchester, I'd just like to say a massive thankyou for producing the football we're watching right now. It's better than anything most of us have ever witnessed before. I've never felt so excited about what's to come and it's all intwine with who's running the team right now. Thankyou.

The FA Cup is a luxury for this club and luxurys can tend to spoil. One big game really isn't worth a whole season, I'm sure Leeds can tell you that. Still in league 1 when this amazing knew stadium draws open would be a bloody nightmare looking at where we stand right now. I think you've every right under the sun to play who you want Gus. Even if you put Bennett in goal and Ankergren on the wing, I'd still have faith in you (don't though). Of course it be nice to beat Pompy and get another piss easy team in the following round resulting in then knocking out one of the giants in the 5th round with every chance of winning the next, but then before you know it you've forgotten all about the league and the importance of winning games against the likes of Exeter and Southampton. Focus becomes one dimensional. Getting selected for the big match rather than playing as a team will be the piority.
Extra pressure on players, Clogged up fixture list with the looks of this coming winter, A lack of depth in the current squad and a filthy tackle from some semi-profesional nutcase, are all worries Gus will have to consider when playing in FA cup.

I still can't believe where we are in the league, it's great to see that even through our bad patch we've still maintained poll position and yet can still afford to drop 4 points.

The Cup run or the Title?

What a way to leave the Withdean if it be with fond memories. 3 titles and a playoff final victory isn't bad for a homeless shelter. I would like to think the beginnings of 'The Albions glory days' began at the Withdean, just so we all remember the poor old sodding place. The Cup can wait I'm afraid and I'm sure Gus thinks the same.
:eek::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::facepalm:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Disagree, we should be going out and trying to win these FA Cup games with the minimum of fuss. "Winning becomes a habit" is a phrase that gets thrown around, but I certainly think we've seen the opposite happen. We went into the first Woking game brushing sides away with the minimum of fuss, and then suddenly we rested a few, took the foot off the gas, and the momentum seems to have been lost since that game.

I think we should go to Manchester (or Bury) with our strongest possible side, with the players being told it's the biggest game of the season so far. Let's friggin' give them a damn good spanking and get back to batting teams aside 3-0 every week.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
If Gus plays the reserves in the Manchester replay, as he has stated he will, I can see no reason why we should continue to receive exemption from the qualifying rounds of The F.A. Cup, since we will be fielding a team of non-league strength.

But if their No.5 resumes his style of play in the replay, and goads the likes of Greer into a red-card retaliation or hospitalises somebody like Murray or Calderon, you'll be saying 'Why did he play them? We need them for the league?'

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
If we aren't good enough to beat FCUM over 2 games, I honestly can't see us being good enough to get automatic promotion this season.

Edit: Well not without a healthy amount made available for new players anyway...

Last edited:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Disagree, we should be going out and trying to win these FA Cup games with the minimum of fuss. "Winning becomes a habit" is a phrase that gets thrown around, but I certainly think we've seen the opposite happen. We went into the first Woking game brushing sides away with the minimum of fuss, and then suddenly we rested a few, took the foot off the gas, and the momentum seems to have been lost since that game.

I think we should go to Manchester (or Bury) with our strongest possible side, with the players being told it's the biggest game of the season so far. Let's friggin' give them a damn good spanking and get back to batting teams aside 3-0 every week.

In a perfect world, that works, the trouble is, it is just not realistic.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
If we aren't good enough to beat FCUM over 2 games, I honestly can't see us being good enough to get automatic promotion this season.

How on earth do you come to that conclusion? If we fielded our best team in the Cup games, I would agree, but we don't, and all the while we have Gus as Manager, we won't. He does't care about the Cups, end of.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Remember what happened in 1983.

Reached the cup final but were relegated due to the lack of focus on the leage.

Full first team for the Colchester and Huddersfield games. In the replay play no one who is likely to start at Huddersfield. Play the bench, but no other regulars - it simply is not worth it.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
We won't win the game against FC United.

maybe we will, maybe we wont. If our reserves do well, they'll deserve it, if not, they wont

All I care about is the League, and it looks like Gus feels the same way

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Why is it not realistic?

We're not talking about chasing 2 domestic cups, a league and a European campaign? We've already added 2 unnecessary fixtures to our workload by not dispatching Woking and FC United at the first time of asking. If this is an approach to reduce the workload, then it's looking like a false economy of effort ... and our momentum has stalled and if the League campaign is all important (and it is) then we would have been better off looking to win every game. Most of this has already happened, but surely it's worth putting FC away quickly in the replay, and not get dragged into another 120 minute game please. If we are 3 up at HT, by all means rest a couple for the 2nd half, but this softly softly approach has caused us problems IMHO.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Why does everyone assume that its one or the other?

There is no reason why we cant reach the 3rd/4th round of the FA Cup AND get promoted, just like there is nothing saying that we throw the FA Cup away and still dont get promoted.

We should just try and win every game possible and whatever happens, happens.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
How on earth do you come to that conclusion? If we fielded our best team in the Cup games, I would agree, but we don't, and all the while we have Gus as Manager, we won't. He does't care about the Cups, end of.

I have come to that conclusion because I feel that when we rest a few essential 1st teamers we don't have quality in depth. Considering the respective squads of our probable challengers, I think we're somewhat short at present. Anyway, it's only my own feeling(s) at the moment & I hope I'm hopelessly wrong. It wouldn't be the first time, & it sure as Hell ain't gonna be the last!

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Why does everyone assume that its one or the other?

There is no reason why we cant reach the 3rd/4th round of the FA Cup AND get promoted, just like there is nothing saying that we throw the FA Cup away and still dont get promoted.

We should just try and win every game possible and whatever happens, happens.

Oh,do stop talking sense.You'll be the ruin of this board.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Couldnt give a shit for the F.A Cup , wanted to go out to Woking and FC but that all changed the moment we drew Pompey

Massive game

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003

I'd rather go with Gus and let him decided the best course of action. Winning can become a habit, but so can losing players to injuries and fatigue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here