Jul 6, 2003
:bowdown:
_1240628_dean_saunders2_150.jpg
:bowdown:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I always moaned that the club didn't have a sell on clause when we sold him, but now I think that money would have only disappeared with the crooks anyway

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...probably right gazwag, but it was a privelage to have seen him play for the Albion.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I feared this thread was going to be ....

Dean Saunders, available on a free, what d'ya reckon?

rool

Jul 10, 2003
the only player ever to have his willy hanging out in the team photo?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
He could do a job for us.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
What did he go to Oxford for? 50k or something ridiculous. Everyone said at the time we were being royally ripped off. He was superb.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
chez said:
And the thing was the club had to take him out to dinner and persuade him to leave!!!

I think Barry Lloyd replacing him with that sunday league donkey Richard Tiltman might have helped convince him it was time to move on as well

Brightonfan1983 said:
What did he go to Oxford for? 50k or something ridiculous. Everyone said at the time we were being royally ripped off. He was superb.

At the time Barclays Bank (to whom we had re-mortgaged the Goldstone) were trying to get us to pay our bills with them. In the end we had pissed them about so much that they demanded an immediate payment of £50,000 to settle the most outstanding part of our debts or they would lockus out of the ground. We did not have 50k in cash. When the club told Barclays this, Barclays went ape and demanded /asked BHA if there were any offers on players that could be realised quickly. It so happened that Mark Lawrenson (who was then manager at Oxford) had put in a not very serious 50k bid/enquiry in for Dean Saunders (i understood that this was very much an opening bid) . Howvever when Barclays got to hear that there was an un-realised bid of £50k against one of our players, they told the club to do the deal there and then regardless and send them the money.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
I like many others was pissed off at the time but speaking to Barry Lloyd many years later the club were actually prepared to let Saunders walk away scot free just to get his then high wages off the payroll. So actually Baz got 50grand more than Bedson and Co had budgeted for.
As for Tiltman getting picked before Saunders, another boardroom decision, Saunders was on appearence money, the Albion were all but relegated, so to save money Tilts got the nod.
Will talk over the good times with Baz on the way up to Derby saturday as he's the first SCR summariser.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Harty said:
I like many others was pissed off at the time but speaking to Barry Lloyd many years later the club were actually prepared to let Saunders walk away scot free just to get his then high wages off the payroll. So actually Baz got 50grand more than Bedson and Co had budgeted for.
As for Tiltman getting picked before Saunders, another boardroom decision, Saunders was on appearence money, the Albion were all but relegated, so to save money Tilts got the nod.
Will talk over the good times with Baz on the way up to Derby saturday as he's the first SCR summariser.

I guess expecting Baz to stand up to the board was asking too much. I suppose he only got the job initially because they believed they'd hired a local yes man.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
munster monch said:
the only player ever to have his willy hanging out in the team photo?

A legendary moment, I've never actually seen the photo though.

Shame, if it happened these days there'd be plenty of versions winging their way round the internet and Saunders would be internationally notorious.

:lolol:

Windmill

Jul 6, 2003
Tadley, Nr Reading
A bit old hat this thread?

When are the fixtures out?

GOSBTS ringtones anyone?

Kanchelskis?

etc. etc..............

:yawn:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Well after his BRILLIANT showing at The Match I have to bump this....the bloke is a GOD!

saunders.jpg

rool

Jul 10, 2003
He had a shot in the match that hit the post that was superb. I remember him scoring a goal almost identical to that in front of the south stand at the Goldstone.

I thought Beardsley was superb also.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
It was verry funny watching Shearer piss himself laughing when Deanno Pulled his hamstring during the match:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here