Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dean Blackwell

beast

Banned
Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Dean Blackwell has the same injury which ruled the new trialist out for nearly two seasons.

Should Coppell have second thoughts after stating in the Argus today that our spending Budget is peanuts?

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Good old Sussex by the sea!
beast said:
Dean Blackwell has the same injury which ruled the new trialist out for nearly two seasons.

Should Coppell have second thoughts after stating in the Argus today that our spending Budget is peanuts?

I noticed that! I hope Dean gets through it ok, and he does not have the same problems as Swiss Tony! Good luck Dean.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Beast -
I think what Coppell's done with Blackwell is superb. If I was a Brighton player and saw the manager's loyalty to his team, it would make me far happier about staying with the club. (Blackwell had verbally agreed a new contract even if he hadn't signed the paperwork - I'm sure someone like Warnock or Law would have got rid of him - one of the reasons I'm happy that Warnock/Law's not our manager!).

One of the Albion's greatest strengths in recent years has been the team bonding & loyalty. Ben Roberts choosing to come back to us is a great example of this. I'm sure this is how we've managed to keep hold of players who could have gone places far bigger.

The biggest challenge for us is Falmer. I'd happily have a couple of years mid-table Div'n 2 if it could guarantee the new stadium.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Agreed. Some of the 'theres no room for sentimentality in football' comments on NSC about Blackwell are embarrassing. If was not for the sympathy of other fans, there would have been no Fans United, we would not have beaten Hartlepool 5-0 that day, and would have been relegated on goal difference instead of Hereford.

Sir Steve is an honourable man, we should be proud that he has standards.

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Good old Sussex by the sea!
El Presidente said:
Agreed. Some of the 'theres no room for sentimentality in football' comments on NSC about Blackwell are embarrassing. If was not for the sympathy of other fans, there would have been no Fans United, we would not have beaten Hartlepool 5-0 that day, and would have been relegated on goal difference instead of Hereford.

Sir Steve is an honourable man, we should be proud that he has standards.

Well said El Spic. Spoken like a true leader (or Mod!).:thumbsup:

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
where did you read blackwell had verbally agreed a new contract?
I heard he was offered a new contract and was looking at other clubs before signing.

i dont think we should have signed him, that one player could make all the difference. players know the situation this club is in
surely players take out insurance for being injured and out of contract?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I don't see how we can afford to be honourable on this one. The contract should not be signed, sorry Dean, we just cant afford to waste good money on someone who will be sitting out most of the season.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Popkins/Gritt,

don't forget he got injured training for the Albion! If you got injured at work through no fault of your own, then your contract ran out and, even though a) your appraisals up to now were excellent, and b) you'd verbally agreed to stay, your boss refused to extend it, how would you feel?

It's not like he did a Lee Steele drink driving episode (or a Kitson, turning up injured, for that matter).

two other things...
a) I don't think players take their own medical insurance out - generally clubs take out insurance to cover medical bills etc.
b) I heard from a mate that Blackwell had verbally agreed to stay with the Albion (yes dodgy I know...) but I can't believe Coppell would have let him join pre-season training if he hadn't.

Martlet

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here