Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Pleat reckons we would struggle to get fans if we hit the big time

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I remember being at the Goldstone for an evening game against Palace in '76 and it was a 33,000 all ticket sell out.. the potential is still there

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
The trouble with Brighton People is that will come out in force to see a winning side. But if we were just a struggling Premiership side then gates would probably drop to around 13000-14000 like when we in top flight before.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
He's wrong and sounded on his way out mentally.
Can't wait for the average attendances after 10 or so games. Already ALOT of these 'big Championship clubs' have amazed me at how small they are. With 22,000 and our three results we've already lost the 'just chuffed to be here' disguise.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
He's wrong and sounded on his way out mentally.
Can't wait for the average attendances after 10 or so games. Already ALOT of these 'big Championship clubs' have amazed me at how small they are. With 22,000 and our three results we've already lost the 'just chuffed to be here' disguise.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
He obviously meant we would struggle to get all of our fans wanting to go to each game into the Amex if we hit the big time

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
The trouble with Brighton People is that will come out in force to see a winning side. But if we were just a struggling Premiership side then gates would probably drop to around 13000-14000 like when we in top flight before.

Fail.

We didn't have a top flight stadium before.

Total game changer.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I turned the radio off, despite wanting to listen to the Albion reaction, because I genuinely couldn't bear to listen to another word from Pleat.

I can honestly say I don't remember agreeing with a single word he has ever said.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Well, if that's the most insulted you felt after about two and a half hours coverage including the post-match, that's not too bad.

It was mostly a Five Live eulogy to Brighton, the performance on the night, and what is going on at the club generally from commentators and pundits alike.

was a pleasure to listen to - and they all said lots of very positive stuff about us

funny listening to Claridge swallowing his words about CMS

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Sad but true. Look at people moaning about Sunderland not being a 'glamorous' enough team. So if we were in the top flight being beaten by the likes of Wigan, Bolton & Blackburn crowds would drop off over time - although in the first season, could see us selling 20000 season tickets if priced right.

People saying Pleat's talking rubbish and then citing Blackburn, Wigan etc... Ridiculous. Wigan's ground looks half empty most weeks. They are only able to compete at PL because they have massive outside financial backing. The same is true of Bolton, though it's far less publicised.

If we were successful in the Prem, then I agree we'd fill the ground no problem. But good coaching alone's not even going to get you in the top 6 every year in that league sadly. We might be an attractive proposition for a billionaire though (if he can move us to Gatwick and build a 60000 seat ground... Eek).

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern

weren't the 80s the worst attended times of football in this country though?

I seem to remember Arsenal would get crowds of 18,000, although I'm not exactly sure when in the 80s that was

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Name a successful seaside town in recent years. Seaside towns are different to inland towns, for some reason. Didn't Brian Clough say "People go to Brighton for a holiday, for a Tory Party conference. Or for a dirty weekend. With all due respect to the club and its fans, you don't go there for the football."

Ahem...

Barcelona.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Look at a map, teams like Sunderland, Everton and Liverpool are on the coast and they get amazing support despite massive rivals in close proximity.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Others may well have said this, not got time to go through all the pages, but David Pleat should not be allowed near a microphone, either on Radio or Television, he is a big usless pratt, who has not a clue what he is on about, I could say lots more about the idiot, but I don't want to have to ban myself!!!!!!

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Seem to recall other teams being rather envious of our support in the seventies. Quite regularly 25,000 / 30,000. Brighton as a City / suburbs as well as Sussex towns (ie Burgess Hill & Haywards Heath, Hailsham etc etc) have grown a great deal in the last 30 years.

Think the fan no's given by the club are probably fair reflection of the numbers interested in watching the Albion even if only on the odd occasion, currently up to about 80,000 and sure to grow

Much more worrying is how the stadium infrastructure & public transport can cope if / when full capacity is realised.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
i don't think he was comparing us to the great port cities of england, he was comparing us to blackpool, southend, torquay ... i.e. the resort towns.

when he said 'not enough chimney pots', i took it as a reference to the lack of traditional blue collar industry in brighton, and his opinion that 'rough' cities like manchester, liverpool, brum all have very defined, very robust football cultures that BHA can never just manufacture.

That's how I heard it anyway, and if you take your blue and white tinted spectacles off, he might have a slight point.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Pleat has ignored a whole host of factors in his theory, including the migrant numbers put forward by his co commentator and the 36000 that made it to Cardiff that Claridge mentioned. But at least he's hit on the only big issue left facing this club now,sustainability through sheer numbers. He chose to ignore the 50 mile radius, the large numbers of supporters in Kent and the long term plans of Gus when he talks of the training centre in Shoreham.
The fans must remember the holy Grail of this club is mid table Premiership security with perhaps the odd foray into the Europa. If this is achieved then it's up to the Withdean veterans to remind the newcomers and future generations of Hereford.If Hereford is remembered we will sell 30,000 for ever more.

Sad but true. Look at people moaning about Sunderland not being a 'glamorous' enough team. So if we were in the top flight being beaten by the likes of Wigan, Bolton & Blackburn crowds would drop off over time - although in the first season, could see us selling 20000 season tickets if priced right.

People saying Pleat's talking rubbish and then citing Blackburn, Wigan etc... Ridiculous. Wigan's ground looks half empty most weeks. They are only able to compete at PL because they have massive outside financial backing. The same is true of Bolton, though it's far less publicised.

If we were successful in the Prem, then I agree we'd fill the ground no problem. But good coaching alone's not even going to get you in the top 6 every year in that league sadly. We might be an attractive proposition for a billionaire though (if he can move us to Gatwick and build a 60000 seat ground... Eek).

But the thing is that matchday income is only a minority source of funds in the Premiership. The latest Times podcast included a discussion on club revenues, and they said that the big clubs (I think their examples were Man United and Man City) take only c25% of revenues from matchday income - the majority comes from broadcasting rights and sponsorship.

8 teams in the Prem last year averaged less than 30k attendance (5 less than 25k, and 2 less than 20k) and of those 6 (4,1) survived. So I'm not convinced that attendances are that crucial. I also don't think you can compare our crowds last time we were in the top flight to if we made it back in the short/medium term - crowds are on the whole much larger now anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here