Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Pleat reckons we would struggle to get fans if we hit the big time

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
..because we are next to the sea.

No mention that our nearest clubs are 50 miles away, that we have sold out of STs, that we are expanding the ground, that Blackburn Fulham Stoke Wigan et al seem to manage despite having much bigger teams on their very doorsteps or that Liverpool and Newcastle somehow manage to sustain being a top club despite having ports.

Is there anything this bloke talks about that isn't pure bollocks?*

*well apart from kerb-crawling

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
That is, to be fair a truly thick comment from Pleat. How many people live in our catchment area? Must be getting towards a million at least, only guessing mind

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
In fairness to Pleat that's not what he said. He said the problem clubs like us have is sustaining the level of support necessary to become a permanent fixture in the top flight.

I don't actually agree that this would be such an issue in our case, especially when you consider the success of clubs like Wigan, Blackburn and Fulham, but I understand the point he's making

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
He's said it several times now and nobody has challenged him on it. What a f***ing MORON. He just hasn't done his homework and needs to realise we're not looking to challenge Arsenal and Man City, we're just enjoying the ride. IF we get promoted again there's no reason we can't hold our own in the manner that Blackburn, Stoke, Fulham and even Wigan manage to.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I listened to that - Pleat lost his mind a long long time ago. I just cant understand why the BBC employ him. He is the radio version of Mr Bean!

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
If we got to the Premier League, an expanded Amex would be packed to the rafters (providing the pricing was reasonable).

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
That would be the same David Pleat who I heard try to claim Mourinhos' Chelsea team was really Ranieris team and that Mourinho failed to show Bobby Robson the respect he deserved by not phoning him when he became Chelsea Manager.
The man is more suitable for Talksport with his geriatric rambling than 5live.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
I guess he's just being a bit Brian Clough about Brighton.

That and the only thing he really knows about Brighton being, BANGING HOOKERS IN BROTHELS :thumbsup:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
In fairness to Pleat that's not what he said. He said the problem clubs like us have is sustaining the level of support necessary to become a permanent fixture in the top flight.

I don't actually agree that this would be such an issue in our case, especially when you consider the success of clubs like Wigan, Blackburn and Fulham, but I understand the point he's making

Sorry - but I don't understand the point. To sustain the level of support you need success (and a rich sugar daddy) not necessarily a large catchment area. Fulham and Blackburn prove that and to sustain support you need the support in the first place - Brighton has been next to the sea for quite a time.

I think Pleat is wrong - our support is growing because of success not vice versa. (Happy to be proved wrong though :) )

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
He said its because we have the sea on one of our sides. Teams with the sea on one side struggle to get the support. Oh yes Liverpool struggle big time don't they! Cant you just shut up and admit we are back and we are creating a MONSTER!

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Name a successful seaside town in recent years. Seaside towns are different to inland towns, for some reason. Didn't Brian Clough say "People go to Brighton for a holiday, for a Tory Party conference. Or for a dirty weekend. With all due respect to the club and its fans, you don't go there for the football."

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you really have to wonder at some pundits. even if we did "struggle" to get fans, theres a half dozen clubs "struggling" in the Premiership for years.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
What made me laugh is that 2 minutes before Pleat came out with those moronic comments, they were banging on about how large our catchment area is and how we can easily attract those from London who move to the south coast who've previously supported Arsenal and Chelsea etc. Contradictory much?

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Fulham and Blackburn prove that and to sustain support you need the support in the first place - Brighton has been next to the sea for quite a time.

I think Pleat is wrong - our support is growing because of success not vice versa. (Happy to be proved wrong though :) )

I don't agree with Pleat's assessment but was merely pointing out that his point was our problem would be sustaining top flight football

something that we have afterall failed to do in our entire history.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I don't agree with Pleat's assessment but was merely pointing out that his point was our problem would be sustaining top flight football

something that we have afterall failed to do in our entire history.

I appreciate that but you said that you understood his point. Honestly, I'm not being obtuse, I don't understand. Can you re-word it so I can :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here