Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Frankly I don't give a shit Spielberg

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
David Davis's publicity stunt is over with him walking the by election but what was the point. Labour did not stand and the issue he was raising was not discussed apart from in a few papers and question times with 23 people losing their deposits it became a sort of reality tv election.

Davis will now go back to the house to sit on the backbenches like a stale fart behind super David Cameron probably sniping like Whitelaw famously did to Thatcher which was the start of her downfall.

Did the bloke go doodle alley, is he losing his marbles or is he a brave man of principles ?. You decide.

Former shadow home secretary David Davis has eased to victory in the Haltemprice and Howden by-election with a 15,355 majority and 72% of the vote.

He quit his as an MP in June, after a terror detention vote, to fight for his seat on a civil liberties platform.

The Tory MP said voters had delivered a "stunning message to the government".

The turnout was 34% with, the Green Party coming second on 1,758 votes and the English Democrats third on 1,714. The Lib Dems and Labour did not stand.

Out of a record 26 candidates, 23 lost their deposits after failing to attract 5% of the vote.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
34% of the vote is not really a stunning message is it ?.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
chasing the leadership of the tory party and using the electors (at enormous and uneccessarily incurred expense to the taxpayers) to achieve his ambition. C*nt IMO:clap2:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A completely pointless waste of time. 42 days won't get through the Lords anyway, and he knows it. Still, he got himself in the papers and on Question Time.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Doesn't anyone care about the Magna Carta anymore?
(or at least understand what it's about)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
34% of the vote is not really a stunning message is it ?.

i gather for a by-election thats pretty good turn out.

i think he miscalculated, not expecting Labour to duck out. they are the ones who killed this off and made it a non-event, shrewd move by them really.

I think the POINT of this byelection was to demonstrate that Ronnie Carroll might have been able to come FOURTH in a Eurovision Song Contest, but only managed TWENTY-FIRST in a poll at Haltemprice and Howden.

I blame a conspiracy of Eastern Europeans.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
If Labour said "We don't want to extend to 42 days!" Davies would have resigned his seat as protest to "encouraging terrorism".

Should have been made to pay the costs of the election. How can the man ever have the audacity to claim that anyone else wastes taxpayer's money again?

Hope Cameron keeps him on the back benches indefintely.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Doesn't anyone care about the Magna Carta anymore?
(or at least understand what it's about)

I don't even understand why such people as rentavoice Benn bang on about it, I mean, the Magna Carta didn't exactly uphold freedom in Medieval Britain did it Tony? People may have not be held for 42 days without trial, but in the case of a suspected witch, would be burnt within 42 minutes!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I don't even understand why such people as rentavoice Benn bang on about it, I mean, the Magna Carta didn't exactly uphold freedom in Medieval Britain did it Tony? People may have not be held for 42 days without trial, but in the case of a suspected witch, would be burnt within 42 minutes!

From what i remember (from History lesson, not the signing) it was all about protecting rich people and you could do what you like with the poor. So if they're really invoking they're saying No 42 Days Imprisonment (if you own land and are on £100k a year, f*** the rest of you).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
i gather for a by-election thats pretty good turn out.

i think he miscalculated, not expecting Labour to duck out. they are the ones who killed this off and made it a non-event, shrewd move by them really.
Agree with all of that. I was quite impressed with Davis at the time, but he's been outflanked and is now at the mercy of the Tory leadership. I hold my hands up - I too thought it was a good idea at the time.

Incidentally, none of this makes the policy he resigned over anything other than a completely SHIT idea. Labour's draconian response to their own crap decisions to go to war was to allow people to be held up to 42 days without trial. Shocking. :nono:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Self-indulgent beyond belief. The man has an ego the size of a planet. Demonstrates he's more interested in self -promotion than actually achieving anything that he might have done as Home Secretary in power. Expect to see him in the near future on some reality TV shows.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
A completely pointless waste of time. 42 days won't get through the Lords anyway, and he knows it. Still, he got himself in the papers and on Question Time.

Was a complete waste of time indeed. it almost certainly won't get through the lords but it gets bounced back to the commons where they invoke the parliament act and enforce it anyway.

Don't trust any of them, I tells yer.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
I don't see how this could possibly advance his position in the tory party??? he always was mentioned as a candidate for the leadership in the last few years but after this stand he won't get anywhere near it - its not like the tories are renowned for backing civil liberties or anything is it..

seems to me like maybe it was a stand of principle.

whether it was the right thing or not is another question but at least its good to see a politican making a stand on principle for a change?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here