Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dan Harding

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Apparently he lead us to believe that he would sign a new contract, but then went ahead and signed for Leeds without letting us know directly.

I can't really force myself to hate him, although we did suffer losing our best leftback when we were not prepared/never did replace him properly. One of the main reasons why we were relegated in my humble opinion.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I'm not sure, but when he was in our starting 11 before leaving he was on £800 a week, meanwhile Kerry Mayo sitting on the bench was getting £1,500. That's what I was told by one of Dan's best friends.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
I went to school with him. Thats good enough for me. Wonder if we tried to get him before Richards came back?

Gav1901

Banned
May 14, 2008
Southwick
I know him :)
Yeah he said 2 me he would be moving to a top league 1 club
he kept his options open n 1 of them was us and colchester but he decided 2 take on southend

ih8palarse

Jul 30, 2008
i have memories but none of them fond... all he wanted was more money, he thought he was too good for us.AND WE MADE HIM.:tosser:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I'm not sure, but when he was in our starting 11 before leaving he was on £800 a week, meanwhile Kerry Mayo sitting on the bench was getting £1,500. That's what I was told by one of Dan's best friends.

Well given that Mayo was a seasoned pro probably in his prime and Harding had just came out of the youth team I dont see that as much as surprise!

I'm looking forward to booing him on Friday, hopefully it has the same effect as last time and he has a shocker :thumbsup:

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
A lot of the Brighton fans talking of booing Harding and showing a real hatred of Leon Knight on the other thread look a bit pathetic.

I am not saying they are idiots or anything of the sort - but has Dan Harding really done anything to deserve abuse?

Does any footballer's behaviour REALLY warrant the long-standing hostility directed at Leon Knight every single time his name is mentioned on here?

Players come and go. Some leave with a good relationship, some don't. It happens at every club and will always happen.

I think perhaps a few people need to just get over it. Some of the posters on here are behaving like a middle aged man still bitter at being spurned by his girlfriend when he was at school...

The fact that both players in question played important parts in one of our best ever days out makes it all the sadder.

Gav1901

Banned
May 14, 2008
Southwick
A lot of the Brighton fans talking of booing Harding and showing a real hatred of Leon Knight on the other thread look a bit pathetic.

I am not saying they are idiots or anything of the sort - but has Dan Harding really done anything to deserve abuse?

Does any footballer's behaviour REALLY warrant the long-standing hostility directed at Leon Knight every single time his name is mentioned on here?

Players come and go. Some leave with a good relationship, some don't. It happens at every club and will always happen.

I think perhaps a few people need to just get over it. Some of the posters on here are behaving like a middle aged man still bitter at being spurned by his girlfriend when he was at school...

The fact that both players in question played important parts in one of our best ever days out makes it all the sadder.

Respect :)

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
it was to do with him constantly claiming he would sign a new contract then signing for leeds without telling anyone

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
He doesn't deserve abuse, he took the best decision for his career. However, he was vastly overrated at the time and if we really got 850,000 for him this really beggars belief. IMHO, Richards is a far more accomplished full back than Harding (and maybe more committed to the cause too).

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

The fact that they were both so key to the team at the time they played ought to be a clue as to why fans feel so strongly about them leaving. You could lob Dean Hammond into the mix too. It's an indirect but very real acknowledgement of a players skill and worth to the club.

Little boys pull the hair of girls they like - they don't know why and I guess the little girls don't like it - but that's how it goes.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Knight certainly deserves it, that said we are unlikely to ever have the misfortune of playing against him again.

Harding is a bit of a different kettle of fish, he didn't bad mouth us after he left and just made a poor decision in saying that he was going to sign a contract before getting the offer from Leeds. I don't think anyone can blame him for going to Leeds at all.

I don't think he will actually get that much abuse on Friday night, but given the mare he had last time we played against him it maybe beneifical if he does get a bit! I felt quite sorry for him last time as it was clear that the 90 minutes of hostility he got caused him to mess up nearly everything he did, we probably wouldn't have got a point otherwise!

Last edited:

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
The fact that they were both so key to the team at the time they played ought to be a clue as to why fans feel so strongly about them leaving. You could lob Dean Hammond into the mix too. It's an indirect but very real acknowledgement of a players skill and worth to the club.

Little boys pull the hair of girls they like - they don't know why and I guess the little girls don't like it - but that's how it goes.

I was about to say no doubt Dean Hammond will get thrown into this group of players Brighton fans seem unable to ever get over.

I can sort of understand the Leon Knight fixation and Harding should possibly have been more upfront about his intentions - lets not forget he was a young, no doubt impressionable lad - but if Hammond gets abuse when he visits Withdean that will be nothing short of an absolute disgrace.

I am not saying players should get standing ovations or anything - but I think the booing and abuse is just pathetic and says more about the individual doing it than the intended target.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Well given that Mayo was a seasoned pro probably in his prime and Harding had just came out of the youth team I dont see that as much as surprise!

I'm looking forward to booing him on Friday, hopefully it has the same effect as last time and he has a shocker :thumbsup:

Correction: Harding was offered £800 for the first year of his new contract, £900 the second year and £1,000 the 3rd year, he was on a lot less before hand.

Still, go ahead and Boooooooo him if it means he has a shitter :thumbsup:

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
I was about to say no doubt Dean Hammond will get thrown into this group of players Brighton fans seem unable to ever get over.

I can sort of understand the Leon Knight fixation and Harding should possibly have been more upfront about his intentions - lets not forget he was a young, no doubt impressionable lad - but if Hammond gets abuse when he visits Withdean that will be nothing short of an absolute disgrace.

I am not saying players should get standing ovations or anything - but I think the booing and abuse is just pathetic and says more about the individual doing it than the intended target.

How will it be a disgrace if Hammond gets Booo'ed? He cited his reasons for leaving as wanting to go to a club with "ambition" and wanting to play in the Championship, now that's just f***ing bollocks. The reason he left was for the money, he got 4 times what his current wages were here at Colchester. Now if he didn't come out with the shit about wanting to play in the Championship and at an ambitious club then I wouldn't care, but the fact he did makes him a liar and a cock. Espicially when you consider he wouldn't sign a contract for the months it had been on the table before hand and waited until he could get a bigger offer elsewhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here