Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Daily Mail today

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Page 83, city comment. " Brighton Booty". "The disposal of DIY chain Wickes to builders merchants Travis-Perkins is another feather in the cap for self-made entrereneur Bill Archer, who will pick up a further £80million in cash if the £950m deal goes through.
But it will raise few cheers at the Withdean Stadium, the temorary home of Brighton & Hove Albion football club. Archer sold the old Goldstone Ground from under the club in 1997 for £7.4m, having paid just £56.25 for his shareholding.
Archer should do the honourable thing and put some of his mounting cash pile into a trust fund to build a new stadium.
".

Now there's an idea?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
balloonboy said:
Don't be silly - if he did the decent thing there's no way we should refuse.

Of course we should. I can't believe you could even contemplate taking 2p from that tosser.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
balloonboy said:
Don't be silly - if he did the decent thing there's no way we should refuse.

Dick wont allow that ...we turned down the £60k sponsorship from Wickes earlier in the season out of principle

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
bhafc99 said:
Of course we should. I can't believe you could even contemplate taking 2p from that tosser.

I don't think the Daily Mail envisages Archer giving us 2p. The scenario is - Archer admits his past errors, and puts several million into a trust fund to attempt to atone for these heinous crimes. If such a circumstance came to pass (which, of course, it won't), then we'd be crazy to say no. The Focus Wickes advertising deal was completely different, and I felt very strongly that we should not accept his dosh. In fact, I wrote an outraged letter to Mawhinney about it. Incidentally, when he eventually replied about a month ago his letter said the deal with Wickes still hadn't been finalised. Assuming that it's not finalised until AFTER Focus sells Wickes (which may be about to happen), then we may well be able to accept the money.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Yeh sponsership.

If he said, "Look Im well sorry for screwing you guys over, David made me.. and I feel awful.. I want you to take £20 million of my cash and I don't want a thing in return apart from a good nights sleeping knowing I've done the right thing."

Would you accept?

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Take his money, put 2,000 to one side ,wait a while,hire a hit man, wipe him out .

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
If he offered to pay for the stadium we would have to accept but my view on him wouldnt change one bit!

binary

Oct 4, 2004
South East Guildford
The Auditor said:
Dick wont allow that ...we turned down the £60k sponsorship from Wickes earlier in the season out of principle

So will they request it if the sale goes through? I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it. :angry:

It will be another source of funds to help plug the hole in the finances which would allow some funds to go to MM from the sale of Cullip and the Spurs revenue.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Why should we EVER accept money from the man who put us in this position? If it wasn't for him we'd still have the Goldstone, wouldn't have travelled 80 miles every other week for 2 years and wouldn't have sat in the pissing rain for 5 years at Withdean.

He can't buy his freedom from this.

:angry:

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Archer is not interested in BHAFC - end of.

I doubt if he even has an interest in football. If he does, he would put money into a club like Blackburn, near where he lives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here