Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

D-Day for the Albion

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If already posted then apologies , from Argus today

D-Day for Albion at Withdean
A High Court judge will this week rule on a legal challenge which could mean Brighton and Hove Albion is stripped of planning permission to play at Withdean stadium.

Neighbour John Catt, 81, is asking Mr Justice Collins to overturn the club's temporary permission to play at the converted athletics track until 2008.

He complains of noise, disturbance, traffic and light pollution and claims the planning consent is unlawful.

A two-day High Court hearing took place last month. Mr Justice Collins is expected to give his judgment tomorrow.

If he rules in favour of Mr Catt, the planning consent, which also allowed the club to install an extra 1,966 seats, will be quashed and the club will have to re-apply.

That could mean Albion kicks off the 2006/ 2007 season in Coca-Cola League One at Withdean without permission.

The home of retired builder and peace campaigner Mr Catt overlooks the stadium.

He successfully challenged the planning permission in the High Court a year ago through a legal technicality.

Brighton and Hove City Council, which owns Withdean, admitted failing in its duty to carry out an environmental impact assessment or publish its reasons for granting consent.

The club re-applied and the application was passed last July. But Mr Catt is claiming the council still failed in its obligations under European law to consider the environmental impact.

He told the High Court he suffered "enormous" noise nuisance on match days.

Albion and the council say Mr Catt's challenge has no substance.

The council's barrister Mary McPherson said: "The council considers the arrangement, though far from ideal, is acceptable and believes assisting the club is of significant importance to Brighton and Hove."

Albion chief executive Martin Perry said: "Mr Catt is having another go. It shows how unrealistic it is when Lewes District Council and other Falmer opponents say we should just stay here long-term and enlarge the stadium.

"Claims like that are total nonsense and reinforce the need for a proper, purpose-built stadium at Falmer

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
DIE, Catt, DIE!:angry:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta

Clearly lying!

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Lammy said:

Clearly lying!

Thats funny

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Why doesn't he move somewhere quieter then ? Did he complain when the B52s American Football played their home games at Withdean in the 1980's creating traffic jams every other week.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Surely the stadium has been there longer than him?

This is like annoying old bastard who move next door to a school and then moan about the kids!

TWAT

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
seagullsovergrimsby said:
Why doesn't he move somewhere quieter then ? Did he complain when the B52s American Football played their home games at Withdean in the 1980's creating traffic jams every other week.

I doubt he, he was living somewhere else and wouldn't have cared. He only moved to that house AFTER we started playing at Withdean.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
joey_jo_jo_jr_shabadoo said:
I doubt he, he was living somewhere else and wouldn't have cared. He only moved to that house AFTER we started playing at Withdean.

is that true?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The only real effect is the noise which is minimal and the traffic which is quite bad. They put fences up around the woods and that has stopped fly tippers who used to dump all sorts of things. Indeed Withdean has been a lot cleaner since the litter patrols moved in.

You shouldn't have to, but if he finds the noise unbearable then he should visit friends or family during matchdays. It doesn't hurt to give and take a little. BHAFC who do alot for the community have to put up with village facilities, why can't Catt just let it rest?

Peace campaigner? Whatever happened to love thy neighbour???

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
But he has partail hearing according to an Argus article on him a while ago!!!

This is all a bit tenuous even for him

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I accept that we will not always like the way our hard earned pennies are spent, but this is a ludicrous waste of resources considering the NHS hospitals are well over their budgets in the South (Just one of many examples)

Does he not realise that this is a real threat to our future?

I hope these people who are continually attacking our club would look in the eyes of the people who have benefitted from the community schemes that are no longer available due to bankruptcy. Or the people that receive countless hours of enjoyment(?) attending football matches.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Caveman said:
He is probably one of these stubborn arses Barreloffun who couldn't care less.

I always thought it was that chap who stands at the end of the road on matchdays listening to his walkman. Something cleansing like Rachmaninov 3rd Symphony, until I read he was 81.

What an arse!

Surely a sound survey should be carried out to find if it is a reasonable level, rather than just going on his word.

If only Rocketman would come back and direct a few his way.:flameboun

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I'm afraid there are folk who hate football with such passion they would love to see the game vanish and as for Brighton and Hove Albion "good riddance" as I have been told when trying to explain that without Falmer the club dies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here