Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclone Yasi

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
_51064079_011172092-1.jpg

Queensland residents have been told it is now too late to escape as the most dangerous storm ever predicted to hit the Australian state closes in.

Cyclone Yasi, a category five storm - the most severe level, is expected to make landfall in the next few hours.

State Premier Anna Bligh said those in coastal areas expected to flood should have left their homes already.

The state disaster co-ordinator warned residents they would be on their own for up to 24 hours when Yasi strikes.

"The time for movement and evacuation has now passed," Mrs Bligh said, adding that Yasi would be "the most catastrophic storm to ever hit our coast".

"People should be sheltering wherever they are."

Blimey! Not getting a very easy time of it down under are they!

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
That thing is MASSIVE, good time to not be in Queensland I guess. Not going to enjoy looking at the scenes after it hits.

I wonder if Comedy Steve will make any jokes about this one....

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
It's nothing on October 87 when a tree blew down in our garden.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
shit! when is this going to hit?
good luck queensland.

I thought it was due to hit lunchtime today, our time. Could well be the breaking story all evening on teh news channels. It looks horrific. Considering many years passed with New Orleans still having areas that looked like a war-torn 3rd World country, I have the very deepest of sympathy for what lays in store for locals.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Heard from someone i know last night/this morning, that they were evacuating as the river they lived by was about to burst its banks.
Really worried for them hope they havent left it too late.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I suppose the degree of impact depends on where it makes landfall, whether it's in a particularly built up area or not. They do tend to get smaller once they make land.

But the scale of the thing is just IMMENSE, isn't it?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yasi has winds of 180mph.

To put that in some perspective, the 'Great Storm' that hit us in 1987 had winds of 81mph (the highest recorded GUST being 122mph).

Its going to be utter carnage. Poor bastards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here