Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cycle carriers

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Because NSC knows EVERYTHING - I'm thinking of investing some of my hard-earned (ha) in one of those precarious-looking bike racks that modern people have on top or on the back of their cars.

Halfords had one for £35 which slung the bike low over the licence plate - at the back- but the chavlet on duty told me that you needed either to get an extra licence plate thingy to go over it for another £20-25 otherwise it's ILLEGAL - is this true? Or was the spotty oik LYING in order to sell me the £55 one instead?

I dunno. I'm thick but happy.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
we have a couple of roof bars and then two cycle carriers on top of them. they are really great, however only I can lift the bikes on to the roof!

woodster

Jul 18, 2003
the police seem to have a thing about cycle carriers every now and then. if the bikes cover the number plate and the lights in anyway, you maybe leaving yourself open for a ticket. worth getting a number plate board and a connection for the rear lights if going to use it regularly.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
we have a couple of roof bars and then two cycle carriers on top of them. they are really great, however only I can lift the bikes on to the roof!

I have used both systems you are looking at and the bikes on top is so much better.If you have roof bars they are really easy to fit, you can lock the bikes in so they would be hard to pinch. Best of all you can still use the boot.

Thule ProRide 591 - Thule Web

Been down to Italy asnd up to Yorkshire with them. Probably costs a bit more in petrol due to the drag and I am paronoid of destroying the bikes by driving into a car park with a height restriction bar. Not happened as yet.....

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Roof racks by Thule. Bulletproof.

I suspect the drag isn't that much worse than a rear carrier -- you're disturbing the airflow there too, as it detaches from the car. It's not as obvious, because it's harder to hear.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Roof racks by Thule. Bulletproof.

I suspect the drag isn't that much worse than a rear carrier -- you're disturbing the airflow there too, as it detaches from the car. It's not as obvious, because it's harder to hear.

The other great thing I find with Thurle bike carriers is they are so easy to use, one clamp locks it secure then the wheels with a plactic pull and your done. Easy also to lock with the key.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Lest the world think I've gone all fit, my experience is from delivering kids with bikes to uni using the Thule. (August last, e.g. 1200 km, Portland to Pittsburgh, 14 hrs at ~90-110 km/h, no problems --but no drive-through McDonalds' either :eek:)

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I've got one of these and really recommended them. Quite expensive at £100 but, once set up for your car, goes on & off very quickly and, as yet, hasn't scratched any paintwork.

As you can adjust it so it sits quite high, it doesn't obscure the number plate and only obscures the lights a little bit. That said, it'll obscure your vision out of the back window a bit.

SARIS_Bones_Carrier_3.jpg

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I have a roof carrier and a rear carrier that fits into the tow ball hitch.About £15 in Towsure. A number plate with lights goes strapped to the bikes and plugged into the electrics. Of the two I prefer the rear carrier, its much simpler to load and less stress with the height.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Eighty Euros non-quibble ticket for obscuring your numberplate with a bike rack in France - the Gendarmerie were standing by the roadside when we were over their last summer, making a killing out of the British motorists.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I've got one of these and really recommended them. Quite expensive at £100 but, once set up for your car, goes on & off very quickly and, as yet, hasn't scratched any paintwork.

As you can adjust it so it sits quite high, it doesn't obscure the number plate and only obscures the lights a little bit. That said, it'll obscure your vision out of the back window a bit.

SARIS_Bones_Carrier_3.jpg

I have a Megane and because of teh huge arse on it, you cannot get the rear window boot mounted ones to fit as there are no anchor points underneathe the boot.

So its a roof mounted one, or fit a tow bar

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Eighty Euros non-quibble ticket for obscuring your numberplate with a bike rack in France - the Gendarmerie were standing by the roadside when we were over their last summer, making a killing out of the British motorists.

It is a pity that the British Police do not follow their example if I am driving behind a car with one of these carriers on and cant read the number plate as sure as hell a speed camera cant.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here