Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crowd control palace brighton

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Controversial crowd control methods will be used again when Crystal Palace play fierce rivals Brighton this season, police warned.

Police caused uproar among fans in January after erecting a steel wall at the top of Holmesdale Road, Selhurst, to separate rival sets of supporters following the game.

It meant thousands of supporters were diverted down a different route which severely delayed people’s journey home.

After a meeting with fans and club representatives last week, Croydon’s outgoing Chief Superintendent Adrian Roberts and his successor Ch Supt David Musker, said they would continue to police the game accordingly.

Stephen Browett, co-owner of Crystal Palace FC, said there was a nasty element of fans who go to derby games solely to cause trouble.

"They had 250 police officers on duty for the Brighton game, which is a lot," he said.

"They agreed communications to the fans had been bad but on the other hand they said if you are using certain policing methods after a game, you aren’t going to publicise what you are doing.

"There are a small amount of hooligans who want to get to Brighton fans and if they know what the plans are they can make alternative arrangements to ambush the Brighton fans as soon as possible.

"There used to be serious trouble between Brighton and Palace fans in the past. People would turn up just to cause trouble.

"There is a little element now though, in Croydon and possibly in Brighton, who see this game as an opportunity to be really nasty."

Mr Browett said police uncovered a stash of weapons before the visit of south-coast rivals Brighton on 31 January 2012 which led to a higher police presence.

He said: "The aim of the police is to keep the two sets of hooligans from both sides apart. It is only a small number, police say 99.9 per cent of fans are genuine fans.

"Their principal objective is not to help the revenue of Crystal Palace FC or help people get back to their cars, they have to make sure violence is averted.

"The fact no one was stabbed after the game, justified their police tactics."

Croydon Police Borough Commander, Chief Superintendent David Musker, said: "With regards to the 2012/2013 season, decisions about the policing tactics used at games, as was the case last season, will be made based on the risks identified, the intelligence picture for each individual match and after discussions with the club.

"We always keep an open mind about what these tactics will be. My primary duty is to keep people safe I will continue to use any legitimate tactical option to accomplish this.

"I want to be clear that the objective of Croydon Police is to deliver a safe environment for all fans that go and watch football at Crystal Palace."

He said last season's policing operation for the Crystal Palace vs Brighton match on January 31 prevented any serious public disorder before or after the game.

"However, there are always lessons to be learned," he added.

"A full debrief has been held and Croydon Police recognize that our communications, particularly with the fans, can be improved.

"As a result, we are now committed to meeting with fan groups at least three times a year to enter into dialogue, get feedback, and further our joint understanding of policing football."

James Daly, editor of the Five Year Plan fanzine, said it was beneficial to have clear-the-air talks with police.

He said: "It was a step forward in the sense that there was an understanding about what the police need to do and what issues we as fans have.

"The fact that they gave over two hours of their time to come down and talk to us suggests how important they view it.

"Not many clubs do it. It was a step in the right direction but there are still a lot of issues that fans have so there is a long way to go.

"It can only be viewed as positive so far though."

Crystal Palace have derby games against Brighton, Millwall and Charlton Athletic this season.

The Brighton game takes place on December 1, Millwall is on October 20 and Charlton on February 2.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Stash of weapons, streets being sealed off it's a football match FFS not Northern Ireland

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Palace fans will be kept in the ground afterwards for their own safety :thumbsup:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
i remember fans in the other end of the arthur waite stand as we walked past going mental as the metal shutters were pulled down and then of course the lairy chavvy pricks by the station

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
I was so wankered I don't even remember any fence

:lolol:

The trouble was much less when we played them at Selhurst although on both games last season I felt the police were a bit forceful with people as in pushing, shoving, pulling etc. I got pushed by a police woman at Selhurst in the ground last season for shouting for a free-kick? It did piss me off when there was no need whatsoever. I lived with it though :lolol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Nothing wrong with these fences if it keeps normal fans safe imo

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
I didnt see the fence either and before kick off walked around the whole ground with out even a hint of trouble.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Did anyone see the guy eating cheese and crackers and drinking home made elderflower wine? It was his fault I ended up as bad as i got! What a character he was!

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
He was on the train with us, f***ing nuts he was! Bumped into him at half time, he had an armful of beers and was just handing them out! Never been so pissed at a game in my life

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here