Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crosses: Punch vs Catch

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
I'm not a goalkeeper, so want to take points of view from those in the know. Punching the ball out seems a lot more random than trying to catch it? Counted 3 times on Sunday that seemed to land us in trouble, although noted Reina went for a shit punch as well?

A well timed/connected sails miles away. A poor one goes up for miles, and results in a goal scramble, where all their strikers focus on the bomb from above.

As a supporter, I just want my keeper to catch it, and collapse on the ball in safety?

Which is the easiest as a keeper - Punch vs Catch?

dgh123

Aug 7, 2011
Depends on where the ball is coming in from and where you are, a punch to me seems more like a bit of a distress type thing and a catch show confidence. Or is that just me?

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Trying to catch an awkward ball can result in dropping the ball which is usually a lot worse than a shit punch.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
In my day, the punch was always seen as something you only did as a last resort - i.e. if you couldn't get both hands on the ball to catch it or if there were too many other players nearby to catch it cleanly. Punching was always seen as something foreign keepers did. However, that is in the old days of the Mitre Multiplex which had a very true flight. With these new 'lightweight' balls, keepers seem to have got so paranoid about the ball moving all over the place, the punch (and parry) seem to be the norm.

I'm assuming this question relates to both Ankers and Brez's apparent inability to catch a cross. What is strange is that when Brez came back into the side he was comfortable in catching crosses. Maybe there was something in his subconcious that made him do that knowing that it was something Casper was being pilloried for. However, after a few games he has suddenly developed Dracula syndrome and even simple balls into the box are now punched rather than caught. Without turning into Ernest, maybe if we had a good old fashioned English keeper then Godden may have someone to work with who has been brought upto catch rather than punch the ball.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
May we have a similar thread for our midfielders: Head the ball away from danger vs head the ball back into the goalmouth scramble?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Trying to catch an awkward ball can result in dropping the ball which is usually a lot worse than a shit punch.

Quite. Totally depends on situation so impossible to judge. Used to piss me off when I'd hear people moaning at Casper for punching when the other option would've almost definitely meant spilling the ball on landing at a strikers feet.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
In my day, the punch was always seen as something you only did as a last resort - i.e. if you couldn't get both hands on the ball to catch it or if there were too many other players nearby to catch it cleanly. Punching was always seen as something foreign keepers did. However, that is in the old days of the Mitre Multiplex which had a very true flight. With these new 'lightweight' balls, keepers seem to have got so paranoid about the ball moving all over the place, the punch (and parry) seem to be the norm.

I'm assuming this question relates to both Ankers and Brez's apparent inability to catch a cross. What is strange is that when Brez came back into the side he was comfortable in catching crosses. Maybe there was something in his subconcious that made him do that knowing that it was something Casper was being pilloried for. However, after a few games he has suddenly developed Dracula syndrome and even simple balls into the box are now punched rather than caught. Without turning into Ernest, maybe if we had a good old fashioned English keeper then Godden may have someone to work with who has been brought upto catch rather than punch the ball.

The immediate before and after of becoming a father brought out Peter's paternal instinct to hold protectively onto small objects. Sadly, it's wearing off.

FLOG GNAW

Banned
Sep 21, 2009
Under Your Skin.
Punch is NORMALLY playing it safe, if you're worried about making the catch, then punching it is better than dropping it in the box.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Continental goalies seem to punch even when a catch is quite easy whereas homegrown goalies have it drummed into them that a punch is a last resort.

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Lualua's free kick against millwall shows why it's not always best to try and catch. Their keeper went to catch it but it then swerved resulting in the goal. With fists even if you glance it it's going somewhere not in the goal.
That's the theory anyway.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I used to play in goal many years ago and punching was something you only ever did in emergencies but the football that they play with nowadays is so different, very light, very little "give", moves miles in the air - much harder to catch which is why you often see keepers pat the ball down when they go to catch it and have to pick it up (hopefully) on the bounce. I suspect Brez is being deliberately coached to punch rather than catch and he is not very convincing. Personally I would say that for him there is less risk in catching the ball than punching it - he will make less mistakes that way. I think the coaches have got it wrong.

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
Lualua's free kick against millwall shows why it's not always best to try and catch. Their keeper went to catch it but it then swerved resulting in the goal. With fists even if you glance it it's going somewhere not in the goal.
That's the theory anyway.

Sorry mate but that was totally different. No keeper would punch a shot away which is just off the ground. Forde should have got his whole body behind that shot.

As people have said already, only punch when you can't reach to catch it, and yes it does seem to be the foreign way.........

Nov 20, 2003
hove
young zimba is coached by a uefa a licence coach and he is told to catch everythink he possibly can punching is last resort ,trouble is in europe goalkeepers are coached to punch more so its more ingrained in casper and brez . we are up at cobham tomorrow with Albion legend Mark Beeney so I will ask him on his thoughts ,

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I've always been taught to punch when under pressure and catch when not. If you spill a catch then the ball is likely to end up in the back of the net.

Sent from my iPhone using the power of Greyskull

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Have you watched Liverpool's second goal?

There were plenty of other things that happened between Brez's bad punch and the goal, whereas if he tried to catch it and dropped it at Suarez's feet, there is nothing anyone can do.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Vast amounts of our fans here and at the Amex don't seem to understand why sometimes punching is preferable.

His punching wasn't great against Liverpool but i don't think he's made too many mistakes since he's got back in the team.
However his and Ankergen's confidence is never a 100% as niether are fans favourite and they get abuse for perfectly good punches most of the time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here