Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Credits cards - USA

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I'm applying for a credit card to use over in the USA as I understand that it will probably be easier than trying to use my debit card. (I have a good credit record so hopefully no problems getting it)

Somebody has warned me that VISA is not that widely accepted in the USA and that I should get a Mastercard instead - is this true? (the guy said it may have changed in the last few years)

thanks in advance.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
I have Visa and never had any problems there. It is worth ringing the bank that owns the credit card to let them know you are going though.

I recently went to New Zealand and couldn't use my credit card or bank cards. Rang the bank and told them I was overseas and they weren't working. They looked at my accounts and said nothing wrong. Said I was in New Zealand and the call was very expensive and they said "but you didn't tell us you were going to New Zealand". Didn't realise I was supposed to tell my bank about my holiday plans........

Think it has to do with their security measures as they automatically block overseas transactions at times thinking its fraud. So might be worth giving them a call to unblock.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Didn't realise I was supposed to tell my bank about my holiday plans........

you dont have to but its a very good idea if you want to use a card, especially outside of europe.

Re: Normal Rob - How about applying for an American Express card - limited use in the UK but I assume much more acceptable in the US

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
you dont have to but its a very good idea if you want to use a card, especially outside of europe.

Re: Normal Rob - How about applying for an American Express card - limited use in the UK but I assume much more acceptable in the US

Amex has limited use in both the UK & US (and Canada) because of its high commission charges to retailers. I have found it being refused equally both sides of the pond. Mastercard or Visa probably better but do let your bank know to avoid blocking.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Visa and Mastercard can both be used everywhere.

If you want a card for holiday use - get a Nationwide one as you won't get charged commission/service charge when you use it meaning you're overseas purchases will cost less than with almost every other card. I think the Post Office card also works the same.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Definitely let the bank know you're going there, mine don't lock mine anymore after having a shouting match at them from Slovakia, but they did - card suddenly being used 1000 miles away from 'home' flags it off.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am fairly certain that American Express also charge interest from the moment a purchase is made, as opposed to most other credit cards which allow a certain time period before adding interest, so that if you clear your account immediately upon receipt of the statement you do not pay any interest. With Amex it is added in your staement balance even if you clear it immediately. I think that I am right but I am sure that I will told if I am not but I was told this by an Amex employee when I had my pub in BH 5 years ago, it may have changed since then.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Going a bit off topic - so how does American Express still continue as a business, if its really expensive for retailers, so very few accept it and likewise expensive for its users, why do people use one?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Visa and Mastercard can both be used everywhere.

If you want a card for holiday use - get a Nationwide one as you won't get charged commission/service charge when you use it meaning you're overseas purchases will cost less than with almost every other card. I think the Post Office card also works the same.

I believe Barclaycard does also. And they allow free use of bank's cash machines that they have an alliance with e.g. in Australia you could use Westpac (which were pretty common) machines for free.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I am fairly certain that American Express also charge interest from the moment a purchase is made, as opposed to most other credit cards which allow a certain time period before adding interest, so that if you clear your account immediately upon receipt of the statement you do not pay any interest. With Amex it is added in your staement balance even if you clear it immediately. I think that I am right but I am sure that I will told if I am not but I was told this by an Amex employee when I had my pub in BH 5 years ago, it may have changed since then.

Not sure about their charge cards but this is not the case with their credit cards.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Get a Bank of Kabul VISA card. That will do the trick.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not sure about their charge cards but this is not the case with their credit cards.

I was told that this was the case with their credit cards 5 - 6 years ago but as I said may well have changed, so much so that the person who told me, although a senior employee, would not have one of their credit cards.

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
provided your current debit card is visa or mastercard, and is NOT a solo or electron card, it will work just fine over here. been using mine for years.

if you don't tell your bank you're coming, don't expect it to work though.

Amex keeps going strongly because it is seen as a premium brand, and also for the value-added services they offer. eg, with mine I get complimentary airport lounge access worldwide.

It's not so great for the merchants, as it costs them more to process the payments, but it's a great card to have, provided you have a back up for those non-amex-taking places.

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
I've got a Nationwide Visa debit card and it works throughout North and South America, even better, Nationwide don't charge commission!

I'm applying for a credit card to use over in the USA as I understand that it will probably be easier than trying to use my debit card. (I have a good credit record so hopefully no problems getting it)

Somebody has warned me that VISA is not that widely accepted in the USA and that I should get a Mastercard instead - is this true? (the guy said it may have changed in the last few years)

thanks in advance.

No. You can use Visa without problems.
I even used my bank debit Visa to pay for a week of car-hire (and it was a sports model as well)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I believe Barclaycard does also. And they allow free use of bank's cash machines that they have an alliance with e.g. in Australia you could use Westpac (which were pretty common) machines for free.

Nope, Barclaycard charge a standard 2.75% or so. However, like most credit card companies, they don't list the additional charge so most people are oblivious to it. They just take account for it in the Forex transaction which, when you work it out, shows you got a poor rate.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh, and all credit cards allow 'free use of cash machines' as they'll begin charging you interest from the very day you withdraw the cash. It's great business for them.

I live in the U.S. at the moment and I guarantee that both Visa and Mastercard are as widely accepted as they are in the U.K.

Do remember though that the poorest parts of America are almost akin to a third-world country and so depending on where you're visiting, take some cash too :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here