Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Credit crunch finally hitting premiership clubs

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If Owen wants to keep his job at Newcastle he needs to take a £25k a week pay cut.

Hopefully the start of a splendid new trend. Tell Fat frank, Cashley and all the rest of the pampered pooches of the Premier League that if they want to keep their jobs, they need to take massve pay cuts. They're all set up for life anyways, so it's not like it would really hurt them financially. Might just bring them down to earth, realise how privileged they actually are, and make them think a bit before they go swanning around the place like the chavviest of lottery winners. Which in effect is what they are.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I am sure if I had to live on £90,000 a week instead of £115,000, and go home in my Ferrari to DRILL my nubile drop dead gorgeous wife each night, it would make me take a step back and look at the wider implications of the global economy.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am sure if I had to live on £90,000 a week instead of £115,000, and go home in my Ferrari to DRILL my nubile drop dead gorgeous wife each night, it would make me take a step back and look at the wider implications of the global economy.

each NIGHT?!

Don't forget your working day would finish at about 11.45am...

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
That is until Manchester City started dishing out wages of £400,000 a week in January...

This will finally push the premiership over the edge. This will make other supporters jelous and even more demanding. Once the board, say NO to extra money for players, expect more empty seats.
After the fall out expect these premiership teams to be in serious financial trouble. It would not suprise me, if we see a few more Leeds cases. The clubs that have been tight, and clever with their money will be at the top of the premiership.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
No money for Chelsea because Abramovic wants rid of the shit players (Hilario, Ferreria, Ivanovic, Bridge [he's not shit], Malouda, Kalou) before he's prepared to spend on new players.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Having to survive on a mere £80k per week, the poor loves.

The credit crunch is truly biting.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
What about if fans of all the prem clubs said just for one week "I'm not going to go this week" as a bit of a protest against the obsene wages being paid.

SKY (and remember that it is mainly the TV money that is paying the wages these days) would have fun trying to build up West Brom v Wigan in front of ZERO fans.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't care that much about the wages- you can hardly expect the players to turn the money down, but I do object massively when they then complain about how exhausted they are after (say) six games in a month, or take the piss by flashing the cash around in public.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Aparently no money for new players in January for Chelsea

If Owen wants to keep his job at Newcastle he needs to take a £25k a week pay cut.

I need a bit more evidence than that. Chelsea haven't always spent in January before, such as when Mourinho clearly needed a centre half but the money wasn't given to him a ouple of years ago.

Meanwhile, the credit crunch is seeing real people, in real jobs, losing their jobs completely, having to go home to the family a week before Christmas to tell them the awful news ..... as opposed to the multi-millionaire Michael owen having to tell his wife that he's in dangerof only getting £90k a week from next season.

As for Fat Frank, that contract is signed and sealed. he'll be getting his £140k a week for the next 5 years, regardless. If Chelseas suddenly can't afford it, that'll be tough, he'll still take his money, just as the players at Leeds did when they were crumbling.

While the rest of us are seriously feeling the pinch and seeing people around us lose their jobs, or work under the threat of losing their jobs, the lives of the footballers are looking ever more distant, and leaves a rather nasty taste in the mouth, especially when they act all hard done by.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The Premier League is a Worldwide brand and as such will ride above the Credit Crunch which is particularly affecting the U.K.

Remember that for PL clubs gate receipts is just a small fraction of their income.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's interesting that Man City are near the bottom and out of the game as regarding competing for a Champions League place. Had they been 4th/5th and spending heavily it might have sparked everyone into action.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Having to survive on a mere £80k per week, the poor loves.

The credit crunch is truly biting.

Mind you, they don't get double time for Sundays and Bank Holidays eh, Edna ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm surprised that the Mancs haven't caught up with the Scousers yet, in the looting and plundering of the millionaires houses while the team are playing in Europe thing. Or maybe Man U have an SAS shoot to kill policy on their employees mansions.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Premier League is a Worldwide brand and as such will ride above the Credit Crunch which is particularly affecting the U.K.

Remember that for PL clubs gate receipts is just a small fraction of their income.

I think the real crunch will come when and if the Sky TV deal is up for renewal.. will Sky continue to fund the Premiership to the same £millions when subscriptions are dropping off due to the crunch ?

It may come down to "Bums on Seats" again like the good old days !

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Lets hope a few Premier League clubs completely f***ing crumble into financial meltdown. :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here