Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crap Goalkeepers ...

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Sorry but the first name that sprung to my mind was Henderson. He was woeful and had a grossly inflated opinion of himself. I used to pray for his international call ups so someone else could step in.

Really?? There's no way in a million years he could be described as woeful. He was a very good keeper who never got a chance here. Any player that plays for Eire HAS to be half decent, we aren't talking about San Marino here.

Crennis

Apr 13, 2011
Pompey (send help!)
The Withdean era keepers, where are they now?*:

Kuipers: Crawley
Petterson: ECU Joondalup SC
Beasant: Coach at Glenn Hoddle Academy
Packham: ?????
Blayney: Linfield (Ulster Footballer of the Year 10/11)
Yelldell: Bayer Leverkusen
Henderson: Retired, Spinal injury
Anderson: Last seen on Loan at Bristol Rovers
Flitney: Gillingham
Royce: Player/Coach at Brentford
Ankergren: The Mighty Seagulls
Brez: The Mighty Seagulls (Bench warming)
Poke: The Mighty Seagulls
Roberts: Player/Coach at Charlton
Cartwright: Agent
Flinders: Hartlepool
Keeley (benchwarming): Coach at Pompey
Shaaban: Hammarby IF
Smith: Gabala FC
Chaihneau: ?????

* According to Wikipedia, and I'm not saying saying they were all crap

HoveHorace

Premiership please !
Jan 20, 2011
Hove
Really?? There's no way in a million years he could be described as woeful. He was a very good keeper who never got a chance here. Any player that plays for Eire HAS to be half decent, we aren't talking about San Marino here.

Perhaps woeful is too strong a word. But in my opinion he was poor. He did get a chance with the Club and played over 50 games for us. The crowd got on his back (not me - I just got frustrated with him) for a reason because his performances were poor. Also I seem to remember he manipulated a move away to Preston by slagging off the Club & supporters.

However in defence of all goalkeepers it is the one position where mistakes are noticed and fans opinions are most easily divided.

Perhaps we should start a Best Albion keeper thread - Kuipers, Moseley ?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Robert Green,ok not Albion however just feel if West Ham had someone like Casper Schmichael in goal they would not have gone down ?

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Perhaps woeful is too strong a word. But in my opinion he was poor. He did get a chance with the Club and played over 50 games for us. The crowd got on his back (not me - I just got frustrated with him) for a reason because his performances were poor. Also I seem to remember he manipulated a move away to Preston by slagging off the Club & supporters.

However in defence of all goalkeepers it is the one position where mistakes are noticed and fans opinions are most easily divided.

Perhaps we should start a Best Albion keeper thread - Kuipers, Moseley ?

Think thats been done before. Beeney & Keeley get my vote.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
He wasn#t that bad, nice bloke though Liam bridcutts Agent

I thought he was alright as well - I remember him having an absolute blinder when he came on at half-time against Southend when FDM made his infamous debut.

Little were we all to know how brilliant Kuipers was going to become as that season went on as we recovered from that awful start to take the old League Two title.

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
I'll back him up on this one , he's PONY

and why did Gus offer him a new contract - because everyone makes mistakes I guess?

I know somebody who plays for the club and Poke is the best keeper at the club, in training at least.

A dodgey debut and he's shite. Elliott Bennett hardly set the world on his debut, he turned out shite, isn't he?! :rolleyes:

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
My worst memory of Withdean was when that twat fell over his feet.

Mine too... the following 30 seconds I spent uttering more expletives than the whole season put together, from memory we had just hauled ourselves back into the game when he tripped over so that was a kick in the teeth

Horsham Gull

H Block Offender
Dec 4, 2006
Horsham
I would just like to say who ever left me anonymous negative rep with the comment "cock" is a coward. At least if you don't agree with my opinion (which everyone here is entitled to have there own) then at least leave your identity so we can have a sensible discussion about it

Horsham Gull

H Block Offender
Dec 4, 2006
Horsham
I know somebody who plays for the club and Poke is the best keeper at the club, in training at least.

A dodgey debut and he's shite. Elliott Bennett hardly set the world on his debut, he turned out shite, isn't he?! :rolleyes:

sorry but i find that hard to believe. He probably does work hard in training but he still hasn't got a patch on Casper and some of the fantastic saves he makes to keep us in matches

Last edited:

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
sorry but i find that hard to believe. He probably does work hard in training but he still hasn't got a patch on Casper and some of the fantastic saves he makes to keep us in matches

All I'm doing is passing on what I was told, I could PM you some proof that I know people inside the squad if that would help. :shrug:

Making saves isn't the only part to being a keeper...

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Kuipers on his debut at southend ! His kicking was the worst I have ever seen from an albion keeper ! Adams made his career by subbing him that day, the rest is history !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here