Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crap Goalkeepers ...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Mark Walton was toilet and stroppy. Crap at coming for crosses, crap at organising his defence, crap at decision making.

I'll never forget that twattish "clearance" against Chester on Cullip's debut when he hoofed it at the arse of one of our defenders who was standing two feet in front of him and watched as the ball looped back into our onion bag. He could have booted it anywhere, the fuckwitt.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Sorry, but Henderson was a good keeper (just had an annoying habit of parrying shots back out into dangerous areas for tap-ins, rather than around the post for corners etc).

And Yeldell, well, anyone remember Leeds away, with the pink jersey, he was top dollar (that day at least!)
I do remember that but I also remember the next home game, was Derby I think? and I remember him being pretty quickly shifted out of the team :lol:
I remember Ross Flitney loking pretty crappy on loan but I don't think he actualy conceded many.

But Graeme Smith is hard to top, he looked like an outfield player playing in goal (and not in the Gus way, in terms of his goalkeeping, not his ball skills).

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Mark Walton used to drive me mad. Absolutely tied to his goal line, and would cut out crosses even if they were across the 6 yard box.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Mark Walton was toilet and stroppy. Crap at coming for crosses, crap at organising his defence, crap at decision making.

I'll never forget that twattish "clearance" against Chester on Cullip's debut when he hoofed it at the arse of one of our defenders who was standing two feet in front of him and watched as the ball looped back into our onion bag. He could have booted it anywhere, the fuckwitt.

Walton is RIGHT up there with the worst. Petterson comes close (the worst thing about him was that he had a reputation for being about as much use as a fillet steak at a vegetarian banquet, and yet still we signed him).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
David Yelldell
That's a bit harsh.
He only played 3 times (I think) and one of those matches he pulled off a stunning save, whilst wearing pink, in front of Leeds' kop.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Worst Brighton keepers. I think Mark Ormerod has to be up there.

Whoever suggested Wayne Henderson must be some kind of moron.

A bit harsh on Ormerod. He had a cracking game at Hereford and didn't do much wrong in the run in that season.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪

Ormerod was always a steady reliable keeper. There's MANY worse Albion keepers than him. Wayne Henderson had no confidence whatsoever as he was up against the Michel Kuipers Fan Club both on the terrace & behind the scenes at Withdean.

One game wonders who had complete mares were Brian McKenna & Will Packham. On McKenna's only start against Middlesborough (I think?), he gave a very plausible impersonation of Flipper at every 50/50 ball he had to deal with. He shipped in four goals with ease that day. His day was completed when after picking the ball out the net & kicking it with frustration back to the pitch, he only succeeded in hitting Steve Gatting right up the arse!

Crennis

Apr 13, 2011
Pompey (send help!)
Petterson made it onto Question of Sport "what happened next" for his gaff falling over when trying to back track towards goal if I remember rightly, against Gillingham or Wallsall I think... (feel free to correct, I have tried to block it from my memory).

Alan Blayney wasnt exactly s*it hot either. Yelldell is with Bayer Leverkusen now so has probably put the night of the pink jersey behind him.

Edit: I see from above it was Gillingham

HoveHorace

Premiership please !
Jan 20, 2011
Hove

Sorry but the first name that sprung to my mind was Henderson. He was woeful and had a grossly inflated opinion of himself. I used to pray for his international call ups so someone else could step in.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
I was just reading that recent thread about Graeme Smith, and it got me thinking ...

We have been unfortunate to see a good few crap goalkeepers wear the Albion shirt over the years. Lets see how many we cna think of.

I'll start with three, Wayne Henderson, Rami Chaaban and Nicky Rust.

Who else?.

What a shit thread to start all of the goal keepers we have had have played to the best of there ability,to come on here and knock our last line of defence is shamefull . DO ONE and fcuk off

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Sorry but the first name that sprung to my mind was Henderson. He was woeful and had a grossly inflated opinion of himself. I used to pray for his international call ups so someone else could step in.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions on players abilities (although I would put Henderson in the same camp as the likes of Sandaza, Martot, Davies and many more who received unnecessary abuse right from the start from our fans for no conceivable reason, in fact in spite of useful contributions), but what makes you say he had a grossly inflated opinion of himself?

I have been supporting the Albion since 1993 and I think (could be wrong) he was the first (and possibly only until this season) permament player of ours to win international caps. Which I liked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here