Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Craig Mackail-Smith to Charlton...

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
You as you f***ed over everyone so you really shouldnt be laughing more hanging your heads in shame

I am disappointed about how Palace came out of admin and ****** over local people. Charlton and their owners who tried to **** Palace over with Dowie and ended up below us. Charlton fans sang a song along the lines of, WE SENT THE PALACE DOWN, we now sing the above as a joke.

Pathetic club run by pathetic people and supported by Gillingham fans.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
You charlton lot have nout to fear,plenty of investors out there looking for a club like charlton.You have a great stadium with great facilities,you'll be fine.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The Chairman says everything's fine, but no-one's buying it. The club only revealed the backer's representative had quit the board (ten days after it happened) as a fan had found out from Companies House. A lot of people tried to pass the rumours off as scaremongering but that changed around 6pm yesterday when a guy called Rick Everitt posted that he would be delighted if we start and end the season with the current manager and squad and finish 21st "but this will require funding that we don't have". Rick is the Head of Club Development at Charlton, in charge of ticket prices, dealing with supporters groups, etc. He is also the guy behind the whole Back To The Valley campaign (the editor of Voice of the Valley fanzine). The fact that he as a full time senior club executive has gone on the record with this means it's not just rumours and we are genuinely in the shit.
He'll be popular in the boardroom then. I guess player sales would be a confirmation of sorts, but I think the chairman would be better off being open with the fans. Have your supporters group tried setting up a meeting with the board yet to answer your questions?

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
He'll be popular in the boardroom then. I guess player sales would be a confirmation of sorts, but I think the chairman would be better off being open with the fans. Have your supporters group tried setting up a meeting with the board yet to answer your questions?

Wouldn't get much for any of their players.

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
Thank you portslade (and others). No matter how bad things get from here we can take heart from the fact it won't ever get as bad as the mid to late eighties when we had to play our home games on a rundown piece of waste ground attached to a South London Sainsbury's.

^^^^^

Another reason why I have no sympathy for Charlton. You just cant help some people.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I'd heard a rumour about Charlton - Celtic aren't the only ones interested in Kermogant and when I said "they will no way sell him.,....." I was told that they haven't got any choice. Sounds even worse than suggested though.

Sadly, like others before them, Charlton never recovered from previous financial problems. They went down to League 1 and despite lots of rumours about how skint they were after Parkinson's second season the new owners came and without any real evidence of a stable base they carried on regardless. When Powell came they spent money that one wondered at the time where it suddenly came from, and it bought them promotion (albeit a season late) but maybe now we will find out what the true cost was.

I want to sympathise because Charlton were my childhood local club and I spent a lot of Saturdays at the Valley without ever falling in love with them as I did with the Albion. Hard though when a club is back sipping from the trough of despair. You hope against hope that the financial meltdown that saw them abandon the Valley would have been their last. I f***ing HATE owners who lie and then walk away but the signs were there!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I'd heard a rumour about Charlton - Celtic aren't the only ones interested in Kermogant and when I said "they will no way sell him.,....." I was told that they haven't got any choice. Sounds even worse than suggested though.

Sadly, like others before them, Charlton never recovered from previous financial problems. They went down to League 1 and despite lots of rumours about how skint they were after Parkinson's second season the new owners came and without any real evidence of a stable base they carried on regardless. When Powell came they spent money that one wondered at the time where it suddenly came from, and it bought them promotion (albeit a season late) but maybe now we will find out what the true cost was.

I want to sympathise because Charlton were my childhood local club and I spent a lot of Saturdays at the Valley without ever falling in love with them as I did with the Albion. Hard though when a club is back sipping from the trough of despair. You hope against hope that the financial meltdown that saw them abandon the Valley would have been their last. I f***ing HATE owners who lie and then walk away but the signs were there!

I want to sympathize because Charlton were my childhood local club

Now a BHA JCL ?

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.

Not as far as I know, things are changing on a daily basis and we're not sure who is left on the board - rumours of further departures not yet revealed. Looks like we'll actually be making our first signing of the summer tomorrow (right back from Stevenage for 400-500k) which might make it look like all is rosy, but is almost certainly a replacement for Solly off to West Ham for 2.5m or so, the profit going towards paying the bills. I expect something to appear in the Daily Mail this week (their sports writer Mick Collins is a fan and former employee of the club) which might make things clearer. We're all just pissing in the dark at the moment, to be honest.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Not as far as I know, things are changing on a daily basis and we're not sure who is left on the board - rumours of further departures not yet revealed. Looks like we'll actually be making our first signing of the summer tomorrow (right back from Stevenage for 400-500k) which might make it look like all is rosy, but is almost certainly a replacement for Solly off to West Ham for 2.5m or so, the profit going towards paying the bills. I expect something to appear in the Daily Mail this week (their sports writer Mick Collins is a fan and former employee of the club) which might make things clearer. We're all just pissing in the dark at the moment, to be honest.
I guess the remaining board members can't say too much, if word gets round that you are in the shit the value of your players will plummet (see Moses at Palace and Noone, Barnes and Mason at Plymouth).

Good luck and keep us informed.

(bit odd though paying 500k for a player, when there are hundreds of free transfers available though!)

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I want to sympathize because Charlton were my childhood local club

Now a BHA JCL ?

No. Brought up in Bexleyheath but came to Brighton every summer to spend holidays with family and watched the first games of the season (plus others in half term etc). First Albion game in 1959 and saw every home game between the mid 60's and mid 70's when I lived in the town An avid away fan in the thirty five years since so don't think I can claim to be JCL although I am a proud new STH :lol:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Not good enough

Great option off the bench to replace cms. We could get him on the cheap. He was pretty much robbed off Plymouth when they were going through their financial troubles so no guilt involved!!

In addition I very vaguely remember poyet being interested before

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
No. Brought up in Bexleyheath but came to Brighton every summer to spend holidays with family and watched the first games of the season (plus others in half term etc). First Albion game in 1959 and saw every home game between the mid 60's and mid 70's when I lived in the town An avid away fan in the thirty five years since so don't think I can claim to be JCL although I am a proud new STH :lol:
I'm only kidding mate. We share something in common then as i come from the other part of south London ie the west.

I never had you down being that old though. You must be well into your 60's ?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Great option off the bench to replace cms. We could get him on the cheap. He was pretty much robbed off Plymouth when they were going through their financial troubles so no guilt involved!!

In addition I very vaguely remember poyet being interested before
Agdestein will be the next to step up,so no point in getting players like that in at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here